S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

That pesky CA emissions control

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:23 PM
HighRollin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question That pesky CA emissions control

I am going to be installing a new motor in my 79 bronco (either a 400 or 429). I was told that the 351M only came with a 2bbl carb. When I go looking for carbs, all of the sidenotes state that the 4bbl are not legal in California. Has anyone had any problems with installing a 4bbl carb and not passing the smog test or having any other problems.
Also I am seeing the same problem with installing headers. Again, has anybody had a problem with this.
Thanks for any input

Old 10-09-2004, 03:40 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your Bronco didn't come with a California approved factory 4 barrel then it won't pass the visual inspection. And I believe the CA. smog laws state that you have to replace the engine with what ever came in the vehicle for that year along with all of the required smog equipment.

Other aftermarket stuff such as headers, after marked carbs., and engine componets has to be on the list of C.A.R.B. approved aftermarket parts list for a given make and year or it won't pass the visual inspection. If it doesn't pass the visual, they won't even hook it up to the sniffer.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can replace the engine with something newer, as long as you hook up all of the emissions stuff for that engine. A "referee" smog station may have to sign off on it if the regular station refuses to pass the visual on it.

There used to be a "loophole" that you could fit an older engine and be smog exempt. I did that on a 1971 Chevy with a 1964 engine.

Jim