Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Smokin!! and lots of it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:21 PM
fordnut74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Smokin!! and lots of it!

Accidentally figured out a good way to make lots of smoke. Wired up my EBPV as an exhaust brake this weekend, and realized that with it on, If I hit the gas, it will blow massive clouds of black smoke. And will keep smokin until I let off the gas . It won't get out of its own way, but sure does make a nice smoke screen

Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 PM
psdpower
Elder User
Cool, did you use Kwik's writeup or figure out another way? How well does it slow the truck?

Old 10-06-2004, 10:58 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

YEAAHHH!!!!!
I need to get pictures of my truck rolling black smoke on here. I love doing it in town, specially with a lot of little rice burners around. They've never seen a big truck move so fast.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:31 AM
fordnut74
Senior User
Originally Posted by psdpower
Cool, did you use Kwik's writeup or figure out another way? How well does it slow the truck?
Well I started with Kwiks setup, then modified it heavily. I ran the hotwire to a keyed 12v source on the forward solenoid on the passenger side of the engine. I am not sure which one it is, but I think it is the one next to the glow plug one. Then I ran the ground side to one of the customer service wires at the firewall, into the cab. From there it goes to a on-off-on switch, which is wired to ground, and also through a diode to the load side of a relay. The other side of the relay is tied to ground. The relay's solenoid hot side is wired to the brake light switch, and the ground side to the other side of the on-off-on switch. I can now turn the EBPV on, or "armed" to come on whenever the brake lights are on, meaning barely pushing the brake pedal. At the same time I also wired up the T/C lockup to my old clamp switch. I then tied the t/c side of the switch, through another diode to the EBPV line, at the relay. I will try to get a schematic posted, or sketched up, but ultimately, this allows me to manually turn on either my T/C, or EBPV seperately, without interferring with each other, or to "arm" the switch so that whenever I hit the brake pedal they both activate together to create an effective exhaust brake. I still plan to wire up a few LED's as indicator lights for whats going on.
I had a chance to check out the exhaust brake feature, more than expected this weekend. I was coming back with a load of firewood from Central Oregon, GCVW of 15,750lbs which includes Mt Hood, and the Indian reservation which is in a valley and has a nice 5 mile 8% grade in and out. Well only after loading up did I realize My trailer brakes were not working. Well going down the 8% grade or so, with the exhaust brake on, in second gear, I was easily able to hold 50, without hardly having to rely on the trucks brakes It wouldn't slow me down well, but rather would hold whatever speed I was at.

Last edited by fordnut74; 10-07-2004 at 10:40 AM.