??? Fenton Intake ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:04 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? Fenton Intake ???

Anybody ever run across a "Fenton" aluminum intake ???? I,m looking
to see if it has\had a good or bad reputation.

Thanks for any insight....Ed

Old 10-06-2004, 05:10 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back around 1950 -54 I saw Fenton manifolds for a number of applications. I can't tell you if they were good or bad. Seems to me I had bought a water heated job for an
inline Chevy and made a couple of bucks on it, never used it.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you must be speaking about the 6 pak intake.they were just fair.edlebrock had the best.as far as im concerned there all a pain.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by e william
Anybody ever run across a "Fenton" aluminum intake ???? I,m looking
to see if it has\had a good or bad reputation.

Thanks for any insight....Ed

I am not familiar with that that particular intake, of Fenton which i assume is the aftermarket designers name. But being that it is aluminum it would save some gasoline, as it would disapate heat better, but i'll bet it would cause many other problems that would make it not worth bothering with, probably just an experimental gizmo, i'll bet it would be the same in nature as the GM division (HT4100 V8 that was 251 CI and originally was made for the stingray corvette but ending up being used in big cadillacs between 81 to 84) that had an aluminum intake setting against cast iron heads, those engines had a bad name. but the same science would apply here, at first you would think, oh wow this looks great and my heat gauge needle is a little cooler, and oh boy im burning a little bit less fuel, then wham after the heat cool down and heat up occured over 600 days about 2 years, then the nightmare stories would start, and only someone experienced notices on these that you have gasket area sealing issiue problems, which is the PAIN i would not want!! Janet

Last edited by Janet40; 10-06-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:55 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fenton was one of the most prolific producers of aftermarket intakes of the day. Never #1 in engineering but decent performance and prices, even for an old Buick Straight 8!
The Edelbrock 573 is the best for a Y and a snap to set up if you understand carb basics. The 553 is a very close 2nd and virtually identical for street use.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:16 AM
dantudor57
New User
Try this for some info on intakes:

http://m571.com/yblock/intake.htm

I'll be going with the Blue Thunder intake at some point in the near future

Old 10-07-2004, 05:53 AM
e william
Elder User
Hey , thanks for the input everyone...I've just got this itch to do something a little different with my old 239. I'm pulling it for a rebuild this winter.
The "fenton" is actually a 2 x 4 setup...I hav'nt seen the make before, I have read info here that the edlebrock 553 would possibly be a good fit for my heads. I'll be going with electronic ignition, tinkering with the idea of bored 30 over with a mild cam if I can find the right setup.
Just lots of ideas at this point.
Thanks again for the input and I,ll check the link from dantudor as well.

Ed

Old 10-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Janet40
Elder User
[QUOTE=e william]Hey , thanks for the input everyone...I've just got this itch to do something a little different with my old 239. I'm pulling it for a rebuild this winter.
The "fenton" is actually a 2 x 4 setup...I hav'nt seen the make before, I have read info here that the edlebrock 553 would possibly be a good fit for my heads. I'll be going with electronic ignition, tinkering with the idea of bored 30 over with a mild cam if I can find the right setup.
Just lots of ideas at this point.
Thanks again for the input and I,ll check the link from dantudor as well.

Are you looking for dependability? Or is this going to be a show vehicle? Because you said 2 -4 bbl setup on the fenton or edelbrock? Being that it wouldn't be original anyway after a change like that ( i mean what would a reg. stroke 239 with a .30 0ver bore do with dual 4 bbl carbs anyway?? The chain is only as strong as the lock, see ,y point?), for what looks like a show vehicle or you might just want something that looks cool, why not just put the original 239 and tranny and rear end in moth *****, and directly buy right out a whole snazzed up late 70's drive train for show, then when you get older, you can sell all of it and rebuild and put the original package back in with the 239 and the cast iron intake that came with it in 20 years when you're older, print what i just wrote if it it makes you mad, and go show it to an older mechanic with years of experience and they will show you and explain (don't show a chevy guy that drinks beer and says that's cool, but talk to someone not drunk that is older and has it together), i know a guy right now that is 52 that cries almost because he thinks back to the year 1992 when he ruined a beautiful little 66 pony mustang car with a cute 200 CI that breezed down the road, that is stuck with a less fun old clunsy V8 with wild carburetors, that told me only 2 months back they would glady pay 30,000.00 to have back once again that family beautiful little Ford pony car. and the idiots that talked him into all this are long gone, exactly what i mean, you will be a bit numb wondering, how did this Janet know? i know because of experience. My way will save you more money, and when you're my age, you'll be delighted to have the original components to go back in that classic, you will see what i mean when you're about 50, anyway good luck Ewilliam.....Janet

Old 10-07-2004, 07:05 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Fenton produced lots of aftermarket goodies in the 50's. Split exhaust manifolds for 6 cylinder engines, intakes and a ton of finned valve covers. AS others have said, maybe not the best engineering but they looked cool. Definitely a conversation piece. I think they made some valley covers for the y blocks also.Bubba

Old 10-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by 55Bubba
Fenton produced lots of aftermarket goodies in the 50's. Split exhaust manifolds for 6 cylinder engines, intakes and a ton of finned valve covers. AS others have said, maybe not the best engineering but they looked cool. Definitely a conversation piece. I think they made some valley covers for the y blocks also.Bubba

Ford Motor Comapny made some things even better in the fifties, i can recall the elegant look of the 55 and 56 Ford Crown Victoria and the beauty of the sound of the Yblock. Or the great fun i had in a 55 fairlane once with a 223 inline 6 cylinder as me and a boy in High School would burn rubber in the Texaco gas station, and make the owner mad back in 1969, you should have seen what Ford made, i know it beat Fenton....Janet