Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge stepping up with the new Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And the reason that I rip on Dodge is because I have never seen one that wasn't pure unadulterated junk, plain and simple. I've never seen any Dodge truck make it past 100k without some kind of really expensive fix, even if they had the proper maintenance. Also, they don't sell so many. Ford sells 3 to every one of theirs. Advertising is the only reason they sell anything, and a fool and their money are soon parted. A good indicator of this is the fact that Dodge has one of the lowest repeat buyer rates in the truck industry, meaning that once people buy one, they don't ever get another one. People learn that they're just not as good at making trucks as Ford or Chevy, and if you've been taken for the price of a new vehicle, chances are, you won't do it again. People have no problem trading their Fords in on new Fords, even if you look at most of the people on the message boards who had their SDs bought back, they just took the money and got another Ford. Dodge has no quality, and the trucks just fall apart after they rattle for a few months, and evidently that's not my experience, that's the people who buy them, too, that's why they don't get another one, ever.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:57 PM
bassdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFrog
Substance, have you forgotten the t-bird?
I know Ford would hope so. You talk about Dodge, chevy started it, can we say SSR? I'm young so I have no Hemi fascination, but I like a lot of that wagon, I'd love it if they offered the 4.7 liter V8 in it.
whats wrong with the T-bird. it's exactly what it was intended to be. a gentleman's sport coup. just like the original. and no chevy didn't start it. ford did with the t-bird. it was out before the ssr. i don't think the prowler counts because it's not based off a production vehicle. lets see, Mach-1 mustang, Ford GT, those sound pretty substantive to me. and all those new cars coming out with the retro names, they're still powered by a FAKE hemi.

Last edited by bassdude; 10-06-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:15 PM
TowinBob
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Why does everyone on this forum like to put down dodge and chevy trucks? I just don't get it! .........

I'm off my rant now, and I fully expect to get flamed for it.

Scroll all the way to the top of the screen, and read what it says in big letters!

Old 10-06-2004, 11:21 PM
AxisAllies
Junior User
WOW!

I cannot believe how people can absolutely HATE an inanimate object like this!
It's a truck guys....step back and take a few breaths....everything will be ok...jeez.

I personally like it, though I'd never buy one, IF I bought any Dodge at all, it'd be a simple 2500 series work truck. Same for Ford. Ford has ALWAYS outsold Dodge by a wide margin. A lot of that is reputation, not bad reputation for Dodge, but good reputation for Ford. Most people stick with what they know.
Why chance something you don't? This being said however its my opinion that Dodge trucks have always been a well kept secret among those who did buy them. Dodge kept the same way outdated design around for WAY too long.
Back in the day(late 80's -early 90's) if you wanted a good capable truck, and also wanted to make an impression, then you bought a top end Ford or Chevy. If you wanted a good solid truck that could do every bit as much and was butt ugly for a little more than half the price, you bought a Dodge.

Did you guys hear Dodge is coming out with a new manual transmission?
6 speed with 6.29:1 first gear....geez! It's supposed to be standard with the Hemi. I think the hemi would be a good puller with a trans like this.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:15 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll wait and see how that new tranny stacks up. My money says that it's junk, but that remains to be seen.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
"Other than the shiny name badge, and a winch, I fail to see how it is any different than and other 3/4 ton Dodge."

Uhh, how about the fact that it's lifted(a little, but enough to make a diff.), has bigger tires(again a little), 4.56's, front and rear lockers (the rear is a LS when not engaged), and the Bilsteins? They even made changes to the computer program to be more crawling friendly. Beefier axles, low-pressure friendly wheels... What else needs to be done to be different? And yes, the electronic sway-bar is part of the package(according to Dodge's site). Pretty nice skid plate set-up too, for factory.

Seems like they could have done a little more lift, but it may start to affect stability too much. I guess we'll see when the HOS/Bigfoot comes out. I wouldn't get either just because it's too big for my tastes/needs, but I had good luck w/ my last Dodge especially consider the punishment it went through. The LS went out at 92K, I didn't expect half that(because of abuse, not because it was a Dodge), but anyway... Too bad they ruined the new model for me.

Crazy001: you'll notice that FTE has regulars (not necessarily anyone on the post) who seem to live for almost no other reason than to make broad "____are junk" or "if it makes it home" type comments anytime a subject involving another brand comes up, often w/o any relevant info. I'm all for criticizing and defending, but I don't get it either. Hey, atleast sometimes good points are brought up by those trying to argue w/ them. I'm at work w/o much to do often, and it helps pass the time. They're mixed blessings. Thankfully though, the vast majority here aren't this way.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
I didn't catch any thing about electric sway bars in Peterson's....I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

Other than the shiny name badge, and a winch, I fail to see how it is any different than any other 3/4 ton Dodge.
1. Electric locking differentials front and rear
2. Electronic disconnecting front anti-roll bar
3. Taller suspension that scores a 655 on the 20° ramp
4. Bilstein monotube long travel shocks
5. Alcoa Forged aluminum 17" wheels
6. LT285 (33") BFG AT tires
7. a 12,000-pound winch
8. Plenty of real skidplates

There ain't nothing like it on the production pickup truck market.

All you guys with your head in the sand need to understand that this is an important truck to the off-road market.

If it sells, and it will, expect the others to follow suit. Which is good news to all of us!

No more BS stickers, front skid plate and a cheesy LS unit on trucks labelled "Off-Road". (ie - FX4)

by Crazy001
All I'm suggesting is respecting each car in it's own right, and not assuming Ford is best in everything.

I'm off my rant now, and I fully expect to get flamed for it.
Excellent suggestion! If you get flamed it will undoubtly be by some teenage who can't even afford a new truck...

Old 10-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bassdude
so they ard dredging up another well known brand name from the past. like the hemi, GTX, Rumble bee. 300. at least when ford does it ,they back it up with some substance.
When I looked last. The 300 had 425 hp without a supercharger. That seems like substance to me. A bit more than a cobra if Im not mistaken.

Excellent suggestion! If you get flamed it will undoubtly be by some teenage who can't even afford a new truck...
too true. Sad.... but true. The most opinionated , or most outspoken, often have the least experience. Old wise chinese proverb " He who talks the loudest, says the least".

Old 10-07-2004, 03:29 AM
adunham
Senior User
Old 10-07-2004, 09:43 AM
biggieou
Elder User
Originally Posted by Monsta
This has to be one of the most ignorant things I have seen on this great website. First, just because someone will not like this truck doesnt mean they are a teenager(Apparently you are assuming ignorance), or cannot afford a new truck. And when does being able to afford something mean that you cannot have an opinion about something. I personally dont care for that truck, not only because its a Dodge and not a Ford, but because it has that gas hog for a power source and I know of Dodge's quality. I hope no offense is taken, but please never ASSUME people are ignorant, or poor just because they have a different opinion then yours. Because if you didnt know what happens when you assume things, you make an ASSoutofUandME.

One thing I dislike about this new Power Wagon is that it is a 4 Door. The originals were standard cabs(or course thats all that was available). But I dont see there being any benefits in a 4 door off-road truck. Like I said in my first post, I will give Dodge props on the manual tranny. And I am kind of glad they are doing this, there isnt a market for this now, and I hope Ford rolls theirs out soon. Personally I would love to see a diesel in one of these, but I guess thats not realistic because of weight issues.

Last edited by biggieou; 10-07-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:53 AM
MJD
Elder User
That concept Power Wagon supposedly had a Caterpillar 3126 in it. That would be cool!! I have read that the engine was be too expensive to put the Wagon into the $50,000 price range, so the idea was cancelled. Has anyone seen the Jeep Rescue concept? It is basically a Jeep-looking SUV sitting on a Dodge frame with a Cummins. It would definitely beat the crap out of a Hummer H2!

The only things that I do not like about the new Power Wagon is the front bumper (should have more metal and less plastic) and the fact that it doesn't come with a Cummins. The new six-speed is a getrag, but I have not found much more information about it. All of dodge's manual transmissions, from cars on up to the Diesel pickups, will be replaced with 6-speed Getrags. I am curious to learn more about these transmissions. I read on another forum that the Unimog uses the same Getrag that the Cummins powered Dodges will be getting.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:56 AM
MJD
Elder User
[QUOTE=AxisAllies]

Ford has ALWAYS outsold Dodge by a wide margin. A lot of that is reputation, not bad reputation for Dodge, but good reputation for Ford. Most people stick with what they know.
Why chance something you don't? This being said however its my opinion that Dodge trucks have always been a well kept secret among those who did buy them. Dodge kept the same way outdated design around for WAY too long.
Back in the day(late 80's -early 90's) if you wanted a good capable truck, and also wanted to make an impression, then you bought a top end Ford or Chevy. If you wanted a good solid truck that could do every bit as much and was butt ugly for a little more than half the price, you bought a Dodge.

QUOTE]

Exactly

Old 10-07-2004, 12:23 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have yet to see Dodge introduce anyhting yet that was groundbeaking or made earh shattering news. This is no exception. Dodge cant rest to long onthe products there putting out. They have to keep peoples interest. I know several people that had a Dodge that would never have another one no matter what they put out. They have to get people interested in new products. Loyalty to Dodge is absolutly the worst for a reason. Dodge quality. They dont have it. I think Dodges is like this. You can fool some of the people some off the time but you cant fool them all the time. Dodge is running out of people to fool.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsta
1. Electric locking differentials front and rear
2. Electronic disconnecting front anti-roll bar
3. Taller suspension that scores a 655 on the 20° ramp
4. Bilstein monotube long travel shocks
5. Alcoa Forged aluminum 17" wheels
6. LT285 (33") BFG AT tires
7. a 12,000-pound winch
8. Plenty of real skidplates

There ain't nothing like it on the production pickup truck market.

All you guys with your head in the sand need to understand that this is an important truck to the off-road market.

If it sells, and it will, expect the others to follow suit. Which is good news to all of us!

No more BS stickers, front skid plate and a cheesy LS unit on trucks labelled "Off-Road". (ie - FX4)

Head in the sand??

Revelation in the Off Road market??

Come on!

I can drive down to the local Ford dealership and find an equivalent F-250 aftermarket conversion minus the electronic sway bar.

Whoopie.

Only difference is that Dodge is doing it instead of an aftermarket converision company.

Like I said earlier, hardly earth shaking.

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 10-07-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:59 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Biggieou: maybe you don't understand the term flame. Debate/arguing doesn't necessarily mean flaming. Some people can't admit when something else is a good idea or even have others think that way, because if they didn't choose it, it must be wrong. If you make a point they don't have a valid arguement for they start spouting the same old drivel that really has nothing to do w/ the topic. But they try to make it seem like they somehow invalidated yours. Basically saying "well, it still sucks" or a general "nuh-uh" attitude no matter what. If they do provide some info it will be along the lines of "my 62 chevy always had the points go out, so your 2004 will be crap". They're nothing more than trolls, they just get away w/ it because... Well I don't know why, I sure wouldn't want people like that representing "my side".

Next time you read a "it still sucks" type comment, go read the persons posting history, most of the time you'll notice a trend. Providing a good relenavt arguement is not flaming. That's what this forum is here for (I think).

Quick Reply: Dodge stepping up with the new Power Wagon