Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Mud/Snow/Water proof your rig

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 01:14 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today i pulled apart the starter on my 81 because it quit workin. Anyway basically what happened was it got very dirty and it was like a bomb went off inside the starter (it literary ran out onto the floor like sand it was in so many pieces)

Anyway what i'm trying to say is what the best way to mud/water proof a starter as well as the bellhousing, i did have a bead of silicon around the seems and clutch boot but it didn't work to well.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I wouldn't use balloons either. Same concept though...its really so basic I'm surprised we haven't seen something like this sooner. I might have to give them a call about their accordian vent thingies...

Old 10-08-2004, 07:54 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Spray silicone is very handy to have around when it's wet. It doesn't contain the solvents that WD-40 has so it's very friendly to hoses and wiring. When I was growing up in Louisiana the big trucks would plug the hole in the distributor cap. The hole is there to let ozone escape out of the cap. Ozone is generated during the spark, and it can deteriorate some plastics. If you do plug the hole I would suggest not running for too long with it plugged. I wouldn't go over a day myself. I have also seen hi-mount accessory kits so your alternator can sit up even with the intake. You see these alot on street rods, low-boys, and stuff like that. Kayakers and cavers also use "wetbags" that can hold lots of stuff and keep it dry. They can come in handy. There is a marine electrical waterproofing that looks like tar. It's used to seal electrical connections on marine equipment. The only other trick I can think of is a combination of the hi-mount kit with an older Ford starter/generator mounted up high.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:23 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
I am going to have to get a can of that silicon by the sounds of it then. As far as the starter i was talking to my dad aabout it and he said to wrap it in duct tape, that is to tape all the open areas mud and water can get into. But i would think there would be problems with over heating. But it'll keep the mud and water out since duct tape is water proof.

One thing i've found that helps keep water out of the cab a little better is ussing another door seal superglued to the orginal one

Old 10-09-2004, 08:34 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustange70
I am going to have to get a can of that silicon by the sounds of it then. As far as the starter i was talking to my dad aabout it and he said to wrap it in duct tape, that is to tape all the open areas mud and water can get into. But i would think there would be problems with over heating. But it'll keep the mud and water out since duct tape is water proof.

One thing i've found that helps keep water out of the cab a little better is ussing another door seal superglued to the orginal one
what about taking the starter apart and using clear silicone on the mating pieces? that would probably help.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:43 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
I just thought of something else- I have seen some Hitachi style hi torque starters that look like they would be very water resistant. HD motorcycles use a variation of this and they don't seem to have water problems. Hmmmmm...

Old 10-09-2004, 07:32 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by proeliator
Naturally, I know everything
Yeah, but do you know what is written on my avatar?

Old 10-09-2004, 08:35 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
The starter gounds itself through the starter body and i don't know if the silicon will prevent this, if it was sprayed and costed the ouside, then wrapped it in duct tape after it dries, or vice versa. As for the mini starters, it would work but it would propbably cost some money to get one made, but if you have a small block or a bigblock you could use a mini starter off a EFI truck, i have one on my flareside for header clearances issues, they seem fairly water tight but maybe someone with a newer efi truck can say something about this.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rlh
Yeah, but do you know what is written on my avatar?
Sorry, I missed this, I'm behind on my posts. It looks like I have two options, either admit that I DON' know everything...

Or surprise you by telling you that your avatar says:
"Time flies when you're drinking rum"

I didn't ask for these superpowers

Oh, and you are wearing beige boxers today

Old 10-18-2004, 12:23 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Close on the avatar! But way off on the boxers.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:12 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Yea, it just occured to me that its "time flys when you're having rum". Sometimes my superpowers are a bit retarded, or maybe I had drinking on the brain...and for some reason they are only accurate with womens underwear. Hey, I tried

Old 10-25-2004, 08:26 AM
ShawnZ
Senior User
I saw it too, I think it was september's or october's.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:28 AM
ShawnZ
Senior User
note to self- read both pages before posting. X-p

Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rlh
But way off on the boxers.
Correct answer:
Looks like we've got ourself a commando...

Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
And as for waterproofing the starter/altenator, the best option I've found thus far is to simply buy 1 from AZ, then take it back.
"I dunno what happened. It worked just fine, then it just up and quit workin. Gimme another." Make sure to clean off the mud first...
I built a little guard deal that goes over the front of the air cleaner. The Busch swinger box worked great for a day, but I wanted something a little more bling, so I took a piece of aluminum flashing and riveted it to the front half of the air cleaner lid. Works like a champ.

Quick Reply: How to Mud/Snow/Water proof your rig