Sponsored by:

Why no 4x4 in dry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:29 PM
yamadude
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no 4x4 in dry?

Ok yeah dont be all laughing at me cause im new to the 4x4 world and have newbie questions! Question: Why cant you, or why does the book say not to run 4x4 on dry pavement? How does that or can that mess things up? Now, im not going to run 4x4 just cause I have it, im jut wondering whats up with that. I really dont know. Im guessing its because of heat though. am I right?

Ok, so what about rain then? Is it ok to run 4x4 HI in rain, or on wet roads? Esp those black top roads I HATE when wet. They are so slippery.

ALSO......lol how do the AWD subaru cars use all time 4wd and not mess up??

Old 10-04-2004, 08:50 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
there is no such thing as a stupid question....just keep reading a lurking and ask more question, we are hear to help!

ok, this is how it works.....when you are locked in 4x4 your 4 tires are turning at very close to the same speed. now when you go to turn your front tires actually move at a different speed. when this happens your drivetrain goes into a bind....most of the time the binding pressure is relieved by your tires letting go but if you are unlucky enough your tires will grip hard enough and destroy an axle joint which in turn can rape a knuckle like nobody's business. also it can and has been known to hurt the t-case if nothing else let's go. usually a wet road isn't slick enough to not cause problems....it's best to leave the 4x4 to the off pavement.

now about the the full time case....the gears inside a full time case actually has a limited slip featuire inside to allow the t-case to slip and not cause the drivetrain to bind up. but when you gas it they should lock up!

i hope i have shed some light

-cutts-

BTW....it is highly recommended that you use your 4x4 at least a few miles per month to keep them in check and greased up

Old 10-04-2004, 09:46 PM
yamadude
New User
lol damn. I have no idea what your talking about lol. However, im intrested in learning. I kinda see what you mean. I know about bikes and sports cars, but your speaking a whole new language. Im coming from a entirely different world. Speed = cops + tickets + yada yada = SUCKS. Im sick of it. Yeah I know you can flip and fk up but thats why im on this board to learn about off roading.

So is it bad to use 4x4 in the rain on the frwy? I lost control in my stang in the rain. Worse feeling ever. Bounced off a few walls before ending up in the ditch. The frwys in Houston are mostly straight. There is no point using 4x4 on dry, but the rain, I want to use it.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:58 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
ok i think these guys can explain it better than i can

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

read the entire article!!! and then come back with more questions

-cutts-

Old 10-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Fordfanz
Senior User
4x4 + dry pavement = broke parts on truck

Old 10-04-2004, 11:44 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfanz
4x4 + dry pavement = broke parts on truck
If you break parts on a truck from using 4x4 on dry pavement you need to put that sucker at the bottom of a lake. There are plenty of threads about this already so I won't get into all the details but about the only thing you'll break is a dying U-joint. I've run mine in 4wd on dry pavement plenty and I drive it hard. It's doing just fine and I haven't even built up any drivetrain components. Check out the transmission/axle forum. Someone there had the same question and I posted a link to a thread about it.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its the binding that gets you. You certainly CAN drive on pavement in 4x4. However, I wouldnt lock 'er in 4lo, light up the tires and do some donuts with the wheel at full lock. Generally, I don't see the point of 4x4 on dry pavement, but its good to lock in the hubs monthly if your not offroading it.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:24 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick, where's my soap box!

Welcome to the forum yamadude!

Every one else has talked about dry pavement, nuff said.

I'm more concerned about the wet pavement question. Is 4 wheel drive safer in rain? Not really. Four wheel drive does not equal four wheel traction.

Good tires + reduced speed = four wheel traction

It doesn't matter how many wheels put power to the pavement, what matters is staying within your tire's ability to grip the road. I think you already figured out the value of being able to steer and stop.

Up here where the rain freezes before it comes down, we get conditions where four wheel drive is actually worse. That has everything to do with the directional tread of the tire not being able to do it's job (tracking,steering) if the tire is spinning. At that point, you've out driven the tires ability to maintain traction; at a much lower speed.

Be safe, have fun.... Mike

Old 10-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Isn't dry pavement just about the same only easier on a truck than rock crawling?
I have drove them on pavement also but just to make sure everything was working the right way and this has been hundreds of trucks not just my own.
My own truck only gets drove on the road if there is a lot of snow.
I think it will wear parts faster but shouldn't brake them unless they are weak already.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by chris_ce
Isn't dry pavement just about the same only easier on a truck than rock crawling?
yes and no....you are correct. but you have to consider when a truck is crawlin that
A) it is made and built for pretty extreme beatings and
B) a stock or slightly modified truck is gonna look at an obstcale and break a joint before moving!

also when crawling more times than not you won't always have 4 tires on the ground! when i'm playing at Tellico i feel like my truck is awlays pising cause it has a tire lifted somewhere!

-cutts-