2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FX4 shakes a bit on take off

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 10:33 PM
yamadude
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New FX4 shakes a bit on take off

I picked up an 04 Reg cab FX4, and I notice a weird thing sometimes. It doesnt always do it, but when im at a stop, the truck "sometimes" shakes a little tiny bit when I start to give it gas. The truck has 200 miles on it! If I am at a stop, hold the brakes and give it a little gas, I dont feel anything odd. Sometimes the truck takes off smooth. Other times, its gives a slight shake before taking off. Any idea whats going on?

Old 09-30-2004, 05:31 AM
psy61
Freshman User
Take a look at this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=262961

Mine is scheduled to go in on Monday to have the clutch pack replaced.

Jeff in NJ
2004 F-150 XLT SCab
5.4L, 373 rear, 6.5 bed.
24' Sun Valley "Road Runner" TT
Big smile on my face...

Old 09-30-2004, 08:35 AM
YOMAN
Elder User
yea, its shudder rear end...you need a replace clutch pack...

My rear limited slip clutch pack replaced by dealer last week and its all gone! nicey riding

YOMAN!

Old 10-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Had my clutch pak replaced about a month ago and all was well, but guess what ! It's doin it again. Not as noticeable as the first time and not all the time. I think I'm gonna leave it for awhile. If it gets worse, I'll go back to the dealer.

BTW, the clunk is gone.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:56 AM
psy61
Freshman User
Originally Posted by psy61
Mine is scheduled to go in on Monday to have the clutch pack replaced.
Finally got it in for work on the rear end. They didn't replace the clutch pack. They replaced the lube and added a "modifier" When I questioned why they didn't change the clutch pack they said they don't do that on the first attempt to repair it. I live 60 miles from the dealer. So I'll have to go back if it continues to clunk on takeoff. It's been a week and so far it hasn't shown any improvement. I wonder if a 'Lemon Law' threat will force their hand to repair the problem. I don't know for sure, but doesn't that law cover multiple times in for a single repair? The manager said they first change the lube, then the clutch pack and finally... the rear end. I was of the impression that 3 attempts to repair a single problem meant "LEMON" I'm probably just full of it I guess.
J

Old 10-23-2004, 01:55 AM
polaris4x4ex
Freshman User
rear end

i took my 2004 f-150 screw in 3 months ago for the same problem and they changed the clutches, they said they were to set to tight. now the problem is back, and i am gonna have to take it back becuase it is getting real sloppy. it feels like the transmission is slipping when i take off. i don't have any other problems with my truck yet and hope not to. i bought a 2003 f-250 6.0 desiel and had it a year and they screwed it up and i lost my butt on it. it was the first ford i owned, i loved the truck,but i wasn't happy at all with ford co. ( its like oh well you bought it.) i liked the service dept. they really tried to make it right. (i think) so i bought this one. sweet truck i think they will make it right or my lawyer will help me.( i should have listened to him last time and he probably would have made it right to.)

Old 11-07-2004, 02:05 PM
psy61
Freshman User
Originally Posted by psy61
...then the clutch pack and finally... the rear end.
J
Took it back in as it seemed to be getting worse. They tried two sets of clutch packs with no fix. Then they gutted the rear-end and replaced everything (or so they said)
Picked it up Friday after work. On the way home it shuddered twice when I took off from a stop. It feels like the same thing, although it seems that it's only happening when I launch hard.
When I was towing my 24' TT before the repair, it didn't happen at all.
I am going to wait a week to see if it keeps happening.

J

Old 11-24-2004, 04:54 AM
psy61
Freshman User
Thumbs up

I hate to beat a dead horse, but... After the third time back to the dealer, they finally found the problem with the shudder on take-off. It was also to the point where I could accelerate from about 10 mph and get the same shudder.

It was a bad U-Joint between the transfer case and the rear. I watched them pull the driveshaft, pack the U-Joint with teflon grease and install, then replace the drive shaft. The tech showed the play in the joint that he said was causing the problem. It seemed very loose to me, but what do I know?

I have driven the truck for about 100 miles, and there is no more shudder. On the last visit, the yard man must've had oil on his clothes because it smelled like it in the cab. Without me having to ask, they detailed the entire truck. It has 1600 miles on it, and I felt like I was driving a new car off the showroom floor.

It took a while, and a few visits back (they provided a rental every time) but they finally made good on the fix. I have nothing else to complain about...
Even with this problem, it's still the best truck I've ever driven!!!
psy