6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Highway Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:11 PM
ZUKE368
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highway Speed Vibration

I have an 04 F-250 Crew Cab 6.0 PSD and I have been having problems with it at highway speeds. Anytime I am running between 70 and 80 mph and let off the accellerator my truck vibrates. I can hear it, but I mostly feel it in the steering wheel. I brought it to my dealership and the service advisor said that my tire just needed to be balanced and rotated. I told him he was full of it. I had the same problem with my old Exploder, and the problem was that I needed to flush the transmission so I knew it wasn't the tires. Anyway I let him try his tire theory and surprise it didn't help. When it starts to vibrate I can give it more gas and the vibration stops. Can anyone tell me what I should do. I hope there is not something wrong with my transmission, but if there is I want to get it taken care of now.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Could be a driveshaft angle (or balance) issue. I think that problem shows up more on the unloaded F350s because of the taller blocks in the rear, but it's still something to look at. They can shim the center carrier bearing to align things better.

Duncan

Old 09-16-2004, 09:15 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
I've also read about bad wheels. Just a thought.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:44 PM
dlborges
New User
harmonics

yep, the truck's length along with the undulations in the cement freeways (rare, but sometimes on the asphalt freeways too), causes funky harmonics. I experience the exact same thing with my 250, long bed crew cab. But I've questioned many people including f150 truck and f250 van owners who have the same vibration. The harmonic vibration can be stopped by accelerating over the current speed to smooth out, or just change lanes and stay in the slow lane which normally causes the vibration to go away. Bottom line, I suppose if we wanted a smooth ride, we'd turn in our fx4 suspension and get a caddi.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:29 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dlborges
yep, the truck's length along with the undulations in the cement freeways (rare, but sometimes on the asphalt freeways too), causes funky harmonics. I experience the exact same thing with my 250, long bed crew cab. But I've questioned many people including f150 truck and f250 van owners who have the same vibration. The harmonic vibration can be stopped by accelerating over the current speed to smooth out, or just change lanes and stay in the slow lane which normally causes the vibration to go away. Bottom line, I suppose if we wanted a smooth ride, we'd turn in our fx4 suspension and get a caddi.
Welcome to the site! Please read the forum guidelines and the READ FIRST notes at the top of each forum. They will help you a lot in posting and finding information that you may seek.
Enjoy all FTE offers!

Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
I don't have the FX4 option and travel different types of roads. I have never noticed a vibration at any speed. I will hear a change in the type of road, but my caddi does that too.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:19 PM
dlborges
New User
I'm gonna keep an eye on this one....

Cool - glad to hear it's not a problem with your truck. I'm going to look around on some other sites and try to investigate at Ford too to find out what the "official" word is. I'm curious and it's pretty annoying. I'm also a very forgiving because I love my truck - but I'm just wondering if Ford has an official fix because I think the vibration can get dangerous since the truck doesn't have good traction during that time.
By the way, I like that Turkey photo! Got one myself last year.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:07 PM
MotoraceD
Senior User
i have an 04 f350 supercab LB and it vibrates on highways too....took it to local tire place to get tires rotated and balanced and they randomly told me that 2 of my wheels are bent. took it to the dealer and they said it's not possible. they test drove it and concurred that there was a vibration at 70mph..they balanced the tires once again and took it for a spin, at 70, no vibration, i'm like ok.....took a little trip a week later and the vibration is now at 75 and gets worse the faster i go. this should mean it is the rims that are messed up since balancing changes the vibration speed b/c this truck is how i make a living, it's hard to go any time to the dealer and lose a day or MORE b/c they are slow and stupid...milage goes over 12000 miles and they say sorry, warranty for wheels expired. hate dealers. i bought some rims on ebay and i'll let you know if the old ones were the problem.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:37 PM
cwqueen
New User
More Vibes

I to have a vibration right at 1400 to 1500 RPM. I now have 15000 miles on it and drove it to the dealer. The said that it was in my head. I also had a rumbling sound that started at about 10K Miles, across the whole RPM range, they could not find that either, but when I got the truck back, that sound was gone. In addition they did replace the fuel gage sending unit, sad that the hi sulpher content in NM fuel caused it to fail. But all in all this sucker has great power and gets OK Mileage. Have average 13.9 with 40% of the mileage is pulling a 10k LB TT. I worry about the vibration though.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
In addition they did replace the fuel gage sending unit, sad that the hi sulpher content in NM fuel caused it to fail.

O-boy well...bummer...are you running Stanadyne or anything....

Old 09-21-2004, 04:00 PM
jovis
Freshman User
I,ve got a 04 F350 Lariet S/C with a Superchips.I put Wrangler A/Ts 315/75 on it right after I bought it. Got the Superchip at around 3000 mi. Around 5000 mi. I started getting a vibration that I could feel more thru the the floor than the steering wheel. It came on about from 60 to 70 mph. As it was warranty time coming up I downloaded back to stock and took it in. The Ford people suggested taking it to the tire dealer
and have them do a force varience test on the tires. The results weren't great so they ordered in four more. Same problem so they suggested going to the 285/75 WT/R and we put those on the other day. Surprize.. same thing. Methinks its not the tires. Time to download back to the stock tune and head back to Ford. Outside of the Superchip the only thing I've changed is to take out the 4" blocks in the rear and replace them with 2" to bring the rear end down a touch as I don't haul anything heavy anyway and didn't care for how the rear looked that high.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:22 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by ZUKE368
I have an 04 F-250 Crew Cab 6.0 PSD and I have been having problems with it at highway speeds. Anytime I am running between 70 and 80 mph and let off the accellerator my truck vibrates. I can hear it, but I mostly feel it in the steering wheel. I brought it to my dealership and the service advisor said that my tire just needed to be balanced and rotated. I told him he was full of it. I had the same problem with my old Exploder, and the problem was that I needed to flush the transmission so I knew it wasn't the tires. Anyway I let him try his tire theory and surprise it didn't help. When it starts to vibrate I can give it more gas and the vibration stops. Can anyone tell me what I should do. I hope there is not something wrong with my transmission, but if there is I want to get it taken care of now.
IMO not in the tranny...in the driveline..i.e. wheels, tires, driveshaft....

Old 09-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Rearview
Senior User
Do a search on vibrations,
I think you will find several threds on this subject, and a few that resolved their problems.
I think one was a bent Driveline, and another was a missmatched spline in the driveline.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Rearview
Senior User
I see Tim just beat me too it.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:33 PM
HB'S X
New User
I had a similar problem with my new excursion. I had the dealership put on 285 BFG'S and there was a vibration in the wheel and in the "feel". They to thought it was the tires. Then they said it was normal after the third set of tires. Then we took out a brand new 05 and it was as smooth as glass so they decided to put the stock tires of the 05 on my 04 to see if it would still do it. In the process they were putting it on the lift and the "front End" guy was standing there watching this tech change my tires again, and noticed that my front axel wa s spinning while it was not actually (lock outs were in auto and electronically in 2 wheel) in 4 x 4. They determinedthat it did not fully come out of 4 wheel drive from the factory. The drive shaft was disengaged but the rest was spinning. They fully engaged the 4 x 4 and disengaged it then checked the hubs and the rest or the drives train for damage. There was none! Problem solved no more vibration. Kind of crazy. But I ask myself could this happen again? Granted it was a new truck that had never been in and out of 4 x4 or atleast i thought!