Wiring an extra power port and an inverter

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:25 PM
gregj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring an extra power port and an inverter

I'm putting an Excursion center console between the bucket seats on my 2004 F250 XL V10 CC 4x4 (fits perfectly). I want to hook up the 12v DC power port that is mounted in the rear of the console and also hook up another line for a 110V AC power inverter in the space below the power port (this space must have been for rear radio controls in the Excursion).

Since this truck is an XL it has many unused fuse locations (power seats, windows etc.) I'd like to install separate wires from the fuse box to the 12V power point and the inverter. My questions are: 1) what gauge wire should I use for 20 and 30 amp 12 V circuits?; 2) Can I run my ground wires through the floor to the metal pan below or should I also run them back under the dash and if so where would I hook up the ground wires?; 3) how can I best figure out which fuses match up with which connector positions on the back of the fuse box (definitely not obvious)?; 4) Once I figure out the right connector and position how can I wire into the connector - some of the connectors have many empty slots (no wire or metal clip) and I am assuming that these empty slots are probably where I will need to plug into. Are there metal clips available that will slide into these "dummy" locations on the connectors or will I need a new fully wired connector?; 5) where can I get the metal clips or full connectors?
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2004, 07:39 PM
prcrboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, ground can be connected to any metal part of the truck. I say, shorter the better. Next, wire size for 20 or 30 amp should be around 10 gauge for 30 and 12 for 20 at bare minimum, 12/16 respectively. Next thing, the "clips" are not available as I know of. There is no way to use those unused fuse positions other than using a fuse tap. There are several stlyes available. Here are a few, just for explanation purposes, I don't recommend or not recommend site. http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.co...useholders.htm

Old 09-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to consider using relays to manage the power. You could have them triggered from a fuse position the is only hot in ACC. &/or RUN.
AL.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 AM
gregj
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies. I kinda understand the relays but still have a lot to learn. I'm trying to set up the truck so the kids can watch a DVD player (12VDC power port) and also plug in a 110V AC game system (inverter).
I'm thinking the fuse box is already set up with a fuse and relay location to handle two power seats. Since I don't have power seats can I just plug a power seat relay in the space provided and tap that output? I'm guessing that the power seat relays would be controlled on the ACC or RUN circuits.

I also notice that the radio on the 2004 must be set up on a relay because it stays on after I turn off the truck but turns off when I open the door (and also after a time delay). It might be nice if these circuits I'm adding did the same thing. Would it be reasonable to hook the two power seat relays to whatever circuit the radio relay is hooked to? Any idea how to do that?

Thanks!

Greg

Old 09-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I believe the best thing to do would be to come right off the battery + where the starter relay is hooked up. Reasons are:

Since hooking in the factory fuse box seems to be a grey area.

Your extra load would be carried by the factory wire feeding the fuse box.

I have a diagram below that is for feeding power to a rv trailer. The circuit for your purposes would be exactly the same. Instead of the wire in the diagram going to the trailer, it would go to your console sockets.

You can hook the trigger wire to the "hot in acc or run" like the diagram shows, or you could try to find the radio wire that has the timer on it, and tie it there. You can hook this wire most anywhere since it draws very little current.

If you have any questions about hooking the relay up, let us know.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:59 PM
gregj
Freshman User
Thanks! The diagram is very clear. This site and all contributors are very much appreciated.