Any information on PPG copperhead paint? and differences between PPG and Dupont paint

Old 09-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Mush's 88
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any information on PPG copperhead paint? and differences between PPG and Dupont paint

I am in the process of painting my truck Copper like on trucks TV. The bodyshop I took the Bronco to only deals with Dupont paint. But, the paint I want is PPG and is the color off of copperhead on Trucks TV. They wont spray PPG because they say they arent set up for it and are unfamiliar with the properties of it. They tried to match it with the computer but the new color just doesnt have the same effect as the PPG paint with the larger flake. The color is fine but if they add more gold flake and a larger aluminum flake they say it will change the color making it lighter and yellower. I really dont know what to think because I am not very familiar with paint. Also, which is really a better paint or is there no such thing because I am told that dupont is higher quality.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your shop is right, to try to get a Dupont paint to match PPG 's "copperhead" by custom blending it, will not work too good, and could end up not pleasing you. Then who would pay for a repaint ? It's just too risky for you and them.

Dupont is not better than PPG or vice versa. Both are excellent paints, and as with most auto paint companies, they all carry a "value line" paint for those not wanting to break their bank by using the top of the line products if the customer doesnt want to.

I used PPG Deltron urethanes on my truck, and I had never painted a vehicle before , all done and said, I think PPG is a great product. It is understandable why shops favor one brand over the other though. Most of the time it has to do with availability and the discount the paint supplier will give the body /paint shop. And, once a shop's employees get used to one brand, it is cost effective to stick with it. That eliminates the shop having to store all of the different name brand reducers, hardeners, etc and all the product sheets with them.

Plus , once a paint tech gets used to one paint brand, he can get real good with it, and knows the "tricks" of getting the product to turn out great paint jobs consistently, therefore not creating new learning curves by switching product lines all the time. If you are heart set on the "copperhead" color, my advice would be to look for a PPG user paint shop. You will most likely regret "mixing up" a batch of another brand to try to get it to match. Plus a custom "mix" may not get mixed exactly right again, in case of a future need of a blend or repair. Its always better to use a paint companies standard chip colors, it affords a better chance of a perfect match later , if you would happen to need it. good luck on your decision. all jmo