Bronco II Ford Bronco II

need opinion from seasoned veterans on the Bronco II

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 10:31 PM
biohazard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance is getting rid of a mini van (due to major engine problems) she got a long time ago, and is looking to get a truck. She loves my full sized bronco, but in our current financial situation, we can't afford another one of those. How are the '90 bronco II's compared to thier full sized brothers? Do they hold up, are they hard to fix, and what how many miles per gallon do they get (since my PIG of a truck is about 14mpg)?

Also is $4200 bad for a 90 eddie bauer edition with the 2.8L V4 a bad price. Fully loaded with AC, stereo, 4x4, new tires, 113,000 miles.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:55 PM
pee wee
Freshman User

Hey I just bought a 1990 Bronco II XLT with automatic overdrive cruise, 4X4, and 2.9L V-6 for $1200. I had the transmission rebuilt $850, and have done other small things still a few bugs to work out but I believe it will be a good rig. I know the blue book on these little rigs is still pretty high.

Old 03-07-2001, 11:19 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, my brother in law swears by these baby bronc's he is working on his second one now. He says they are easy to work on, and last. I don't know I have never owned one but about the worst thing I have seen him do to his is put in front axles.
John

Old 03-08-2001, 12:14 AM
blacklightningf150
Senior User

Hey man the Bronco 2's are amazing... id still have mine if a crazy frenchmen didn pull out in front of me and wrote it off, Mine was an 1989 XL 5spd 4x4 with the 2.9L V6. if its a 1990 im surprised that its got a 2.8L? If its got the 2.9 watch out that its not got a blowen headgasket or cracked heads as it is VERY commen in these engines, i went through 2 of them myself. But the truck is very realiable if you plan on doing offroading and putting larger tires on it (31's) then invest in a drive shaft as they dont take to kindly to the extra work... i went through a couple and they aint cheap, the CV joint doesnt give enough strech to allow for proper angle... but there great off road i showed up other 4x4's by going in just 2 wheel drive going through the same stuff they were in 4wheel. As for fuel economy.... i dont really know because i had 31's under mine and a custom exhaust so my gas milage wasnt to good but is still better then my 5.4L in my new truck ) oh and the price sounds good but a little high try and jew it down alittle. I paid $2000 for mine and i had to rebuild the engine ($500) and the only rust on it (body wise) was the hood which i replaced for the saftey.

Hope this helped a bit....

2000 F150 Extended Cab 4x4 Sport
Head light covers
Tail light covers
"Ford MotorSports" sticker in rear window
Soon a kickin stereo need some "thump"

Old 03-08-2001, 06:39 AM
biohazard
Senior User

The truck is in mint condition. The engine is original, as is the transmision. No rust (don't see that in michigan), no dents, and a nice shiny red paint job.

I know you guys said it's a high price for it, but that does include a 1 year unlimited miles warrenty (C.A.R.S. used vehicle warrenty) with a $50 deductable.

Old 03-08-2001, 05:28 PM
kaptain
New User

I bought a 87 bronco2 with 160,000 miles, 60,000 on rebuilt engine (2.9 liter), 5 speed, body in decent shape, and a roof rack as well for 1600 bucks.. I have had it for several months now, and it has been running great.. the gas mileage isnt the best, but new plugs that i recently put in realy helped that. I found it relitively easy to work on, some places are hard to get to under the hood. One thing i would suggest is take it easy on that weak rear driveshaft, or get an aftermarket one. Im sure you could find a 90 b2 with 113,000 or so miles for less then 4000.. well good luck anyway.

Old 03-08-2001, 08:42 PM
biohazard
Senior User

I wouldn't even worry about the smaller engine or drive shaft on it. For all the "fun" driving, I've got a full size bronco with the 5.8L V8, and offroad package. She just wants it for the few times a year in the snow, and transporting stuff.

Old 03-28-2001, 04:55 PM
babybroncoii
Junior User

I own a 1988 eddie bauer with the 2.9 v6 and 4*4. It even has 260000 miles, and it runs good. I did have trouble with a cracked head, but they sell heads for these that are not fallible like the factory heads. I love to go four-wheeling in my truck. It is a beast out in the desert in Arizona and I haven't found much I haven't been able to conquer. Good luck

Old 03-29-2001, 06:47 PM
biohazard
Senior User

after being forced to drive it for 9 days in a row, I'm feeling a little better in some areas, but worse in others.

I put some higher grade fuel in it, and it ran better. New plugs, new oil, new filters, and a little gentle care made it run 10x better.

BUT, I found that the lack of a big engine really effects this thing when hauling anything over 40lbs with 2 people in the truck. Where as I've had close to 1000lbs in the back of my truck and only notice a little bit of a sag and very little loss of power. Also the lack of size kinda threw me off. I'm used to being able to see over 90% of the vehicles on the road, and most of them stay the heck out of my way. NOT the case with a bII Considering she's been in 4 accidents, I don't feel this thing is as safe as the big red beast I drive

Old 03-29-2001, 09:15 PM
pee wee
Freshman User

I think you are suffering from horsepower withdrawl. My little 1990 Bronco II pulls my boat, hauls my four wheeler out on the mountain, all with no problem at all. My concerns with it are that it does not hold a lot of oil pressure and that kind keeps me paranoid but it has plenty of horsepower for what I want to do with it. What do you have in you "red beast" a 351 or a 400 modified if you do that would put you into horsepower withdrawl.

Old 03-30-2001, 03:19 PM
biohazard
Senior User

302 that the previous owner opted to mess with, and managed to get a good bit of extra power out of.

Old 03-30-2001, 07:19 PM
pee wee
Freshman User

What does your BII have in it? My little six cylinder is pretty peppy for a six cylinder. I had a 1983 F-150 that had a 302 in it, just before I got the BII, and the BII has just as much power as it did. My 302 was bone stock. Now I had a 390 in a pick-up before that and there was a marked horsepower difference.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:02 PM
wolfpainter1
New User

I would say yes unless it has 300 miles on it. I got the same thing but a v6 for $2,900. Befor the trany went out i was getting around 27 mpg.

Old 04-01-2001, 12:01 PM
postalguy
New User

i'm looking at an 86 bII but it has 200k miles. what is the live expectancy of the v6? otherwise vehicle is really clean

Old 04-02-2001, 12:03 PM
nellie
New User

I own a 1988 Bronco II and it has 306,000 mile on it and is still running strong. I have done no major work to it at all. It has had the following work done on it: new clutch, new tire-rod ends - That is it! The rest is just brakes, tires, oil changes, etc. My husband changes the oil every month and half (15,000 miles) Here in NY the winters have finally taken there toll on it and it is rusted pretty bad and I am thinking of replacing it with a Explorer. I feel sad about giving it up but she is just too rusted. By the way mine has a 2.9L engine, I have heard the 2.8L is not a strong runner and they have had problems with them. Hope that helps to make the decision. As with any machine it depends on who has had the vehicle. If it was well taken care of, etc. I bought mine used at a car dealership and they gave me the orginal owners name and number. He kept it in perfect shape and also changed the oil and had the engine checked often. They were asking $4500 for it 8 yrs ago and I offered the dealership $2500 cash and they took it. I got a really good deal and she owes me nothing. She has from day 1 been dependable and economical when I first got her she was getting 30mpg. and now with age she is getting about 24mpg. which is better then some new vehicles. My 1986 F150 4x4 Pickup gets about 18mpg. and she is in wonderful shape. People ask what year my truck is and are amazed at the condition in and out she is in.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: need opinion from seasoned veterans on the Bronco II