6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should I Buy A 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
mikey_d66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Buy A 6.0?

Alright, here's the deal...I've got my eye on a 2003 F-250 CC SB with a 6.0 PSD, an automatic, and 29,000 miles. It looks like a great truck, optioned out, in awesome condition. After reading about the reflashes and such on here (thanks to you guys) I knew more about the problems than the sales department. It turns out the truck is a customer buyback. Supposedly the pilot injection was screwing things up and it's "fixed" now. I'm not exactly sure what that means but I intend to find out. Also, he tells me that the Ford engineers went through it and made sure everything was alright. (If I sound skeptical it's because I am.) They added an additional year and 12,000 miles onto the warranty. My question is should I even consider this truck? I'm guessing by "fixing" the pilot injection, they just turned it off. I've also read that if reflashed, other things go too, like gas mileage numbers and power. So...if anybody has advice on what to look for or to not look at all, please post, because I have no experience with 6.0's or their common problems.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some owners were SO put off by the loss of pilot injection
(when taken away the engine got louder at idle and less prone to idle fluctuations)
that they probably pushed for a buy back...
What is the build date of the engine ?
I have an april 03 build date engine that was supposed to be the bad ones...
but mine has been flawless !

I'd ask for an OASIS rpt from the svc dept to see what was done to the truck...
or get the vin and private msg here for a lookup...

Ask them to throw in an extended Ford warranty and beat them up on the price and you'll probably have a good one...
good luck and let us know....

but understand that SOMEONE didn't liek the truck for SOME reason...
your goal is to find out why - Maybe call the previous owner ?

Old 09-21-2004, 10:53 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey_d66
Alright, here's the deal...I've got my eye on a 2003 F-250 CC SB with a 6.0 PSD, an automatic, and 29,000 miles. It looks like a great truck, optioned out, in awesome condition. After reading about the reflashes and such on here (thanks to you guys) I knew more about the problems than the sales department. It turns out the truck is a customer buyback. Supposedly the pilot injection was screwing things up and it's "fixed" now. I'm not exactly sure what that means but I intend to find out. Also, he tells me that the Ford engineers went through it and made sure everything was alright. (If I sound skeptical it's because I am.) They added an additional year and 12,000 miles onto the warranty. My question is should I even consider this truck? I'm guessing by "fixing" the pilot injection, they just turned it off. I've also read that if reflashed, other things go too, like gas mileage numbers and power. So...if anybody has advice on what to look for or to not look at all, please post, because I have no experience with 6.0's or their common problems.
WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines…Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.
Enjoy FTE

Old 09-21-2004, 10:59 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Tim - check your email...

Old 09-21-2004, 11:00 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Tim - check your email...
Send me a PM cannot check other right now

Old 09-21-2004, 11:08 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with JD...I would have them cough up the 75,000 - 100,000 mile FORD ESP extended warranty (it's their buy back they are trying to sell here).

Even at that you are already doing the right thing by seeking answers to good questions. Definitly get the selling dealer to provide an OASIS report. Surprised that they haven't offered one up front. Demonstrates a lack of confidence to me, or poor salesmanship at the very least.

Welcome to FTE & good luck with your investigation / future purchase.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:10 AM
eharman
Senior User
May was supposed to be a bad build date. I have the Oct flash and that
is all the work that has been done on my truck. No leaks, no wire chafe,
a/c works great and great fuel mileage, not to mention awesome Power !
I do not regret my purchase. I have almost 18000 miles on my truck
and I have enjoyed everyone of them .
EJ

Old 09-21-2004, 11:42 AM
mikey_d66
New User
I've just talked to them over the phone so far so I'm sure they'd let me have an Oasis report if I asked. What increments do the warranties come in? 75,000 and 100,000 miles? I'd like to know what I'm talking about if it comes into play when bargaining. Also, I'm sorry to get off topic on the thread but what was the original problem with the trucks that caused Ford to come out with a reflash? If it was just the pilot injection, why were other things lost also? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
I'll try to help...
you can get an oasis report from any ford dealer with the vin...
(I've forwarded the vin you sent me to someone here that may be able to help u)

there are many different ford warranty combinations...
here's a start....
http://www.fordwarrantys.com/
or
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

with any new release of anything... there are changes that the 1.0 version always seems to have and since the 6.0 is SO computer controlled they did a few updates.

the primariy concern with the EARLY build trucks was the c94 injectors (or so they thought)

Mine are still fine after 33k HARD miles...

Old 09-21-2004, 01:11 PM
jwdeats
Senior User
Maybe buy a 6.0, but absolutely don't buy that one. What do you think the former owner would advise you to do? (he would say run from that truck) You said the dealer and Ford engineers went over the truck? Horse Hockey. Are they the same engineers that designed the flaws into the early '03? I have a 2003 F-250 CC SB with a 6.0 PSD, an automatic, and 22,000 miles and I reccommend you buy a newer truck, preferrably one with the new injectors. The 6.0 is a good engine, but the early ones are to be avoided. You are asking for trouble buying someone else's troubles.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:50 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Actually if the ONLY thing wrong was it was the loss of pilot injection and if I got a good deal with an extended warranty... I wouldn't hesitate to buy it....

BUT - the operative word is IF - and we have to get that one answered...

Give us a day - the vin is being researched ....

Old 09-21-2004, 04:02 PM
mikey_d66
New User
I'm trying to get the name of the previous owner so I can see what he thinks, thanks for researching the VIN for me. What does it take to get a dealership to buy a vehicle back? Does this automatically mean horrible? Sorry for so many questions, just unfamiliar with Ford, their vehicles, and their processes.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:34 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
It takes an unhappy owner with the right "proof" and a good case that Ford OR THE DEALER did not fix it to his satisfaction... could be anything that kept it out of service and even if repaired, was too long getting repaired...
even as simple as my 02 X's replacement - the dealer just messed up and kept it too long for the simple things... and so I got the NICE 03 rocket bus

Old 09-21-2004, 06:16 PM
farmwork
New User
Mine is a 04/03 build date and I haven't had any issues. I think if you can somehow track down the previous owner that is your best way of getting some honest answers as to what the issues were. I would be a little suspicious if the dealer is reluctant to divulge information about the truck. Might be a great opportunity also.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:34 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
I also have one of those April 03s that has been a great truck. I had a couple problems up front but the dealer fixed them right away. Since then, it has been great.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy A 6.0?