1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 250 Diesel FX4 engine troubles, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 06:03 PM
ungotz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 250 Diesel FX4 engine troubles, Help!

My buddy bought a new 2005 Ford F250 diesel when I bought my 150 and the truck for no reason just turns itself off. Dealer has had it twice said the computer logged the issue and they reflashed the computer. Now you will be driving down the street and it will just buck like a bronco. Like it is having trouble with the fuel. Dealer says they can't duplicate the problem.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. He is at his wits end. The truck only has 2500 miles.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:19 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by ungotz
My buddy bought a new 2005 Ford F250 diesel when I bought my 150 and the truck for no reason just turns itself off. Dealer has had it twice said the computer logged the issue and they reflashed the computer. Now you will be driving down the street and it will just buck like a bronco. Like it is having trouble with the fuel. Dealer says they can't duplicate the problem.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. He is at his wits end. The truck only has 2500 miles.
Hey Bubba,

First off I would tell your buddy to get as far away from a dealer that tryed to fix the turn off/chugging problem with a flash. They must have a gasser tech working on his truck. The exact same issues in the diesels can be created by wire chafe. Have him take it to another dealer and explain to the dealer that first he would ONLY like a diesel tech to work on his truck. NO GASSER TECHS!! There have been many dealers that sell the powerstroke that don't service with the proper diesel tech, they just end up creating a huge mess. Tell him suggest that it seems like it is duplicating the wire chafe issue that one of his buddies demonstrated, as it is bucking/chugging. I would imagine they will have it fixed in a day or two.

Best of Luck,
Corey

*Parts Changers*

P.S. Please let me know how it turns out.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:26 PM
arcturner
Senior User
RMP:

How early, or what are the mininum miles that people are having troubles with the wire chafing?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-19-2004, 08:14 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by arcturner
RMP:

How early, or what are the mininum miles that people are having troubles with the wire chafing?

Thanks,
Mike
Well from what I've seen I haven't found a definative mileage. For instance I've seen some trucks with 30kmiles and no problems, however I've seen some with 2000 miles and chafe. I myself just rolled over 17kmiles on my 6.0. So far no wire chafe. I think I'm gonna get some high temp loom and wrap the harness so I don't have to worry about it. Plus that way I wouldn't run the risk of failure towing something.

Best of Luck,
Corey

*Parts Changers*

P.S. Can anyone think of why the mileage would vary so much as to when chafe would start to effect performance? Does anyone know if they changed wire suppliers throughout the build process???

Old 09-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Tuggingafiver
Senior User
where is the area of chafe occuring,,??

have an 05 on order and sure would like to correct any problem locations form the start,,

thanks,,

Old 09-21-2004, 06:58 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Ditto, I've got an 04 and this is the first I've heard of a known problem with a specific wiring harness chafing, so I'd like to know where to find this harness and the trouble spot. Thanks

Old 09-21-2004, 07:00 PM
arcturner
Senior User
Me 2 (too).

Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuggingafiver
where is the area of chafe occuring,,??

have an 05 on order and sure would like to correct any problem locations form the start,,

thanks,,
Hey Guys,
I apologize for taking so long to reply. Computer went down. YIKES!! I've been 4 days without FTE!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! Alright well there are just a few main areas of concern. They are as follows.

1) The most common location for this is the valve cover/cover bolts near the FICM or the intake manifold bolts where the harness routes under the air intake hose.

2)Other chafe problems can occur where the sensor harnesses route around the valve covers, thermostat housing, idler pulleys, glow plug relay bracket, and near the accelerator pedal assembly (adjustable pedals), and also near the PCM by the battery and near the relay box brackets at the left rear corner of the engine compartment.

Best of Luck,
Corey

*Parts Changers*