1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:50 AM
blue ranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry no power

I have power issues with my 1990 ford ranger.It is an 2.3 5sp with dual plugs and coilpacks.The problems are sluggish on hwy driving,up and down idle.I first did the simple things like plugs, wires ,cleaning throttle body with no luck.I had some pinging but after these repairs it went away.I put autolite plugs in ,I was told I should put motorcraft in because of the different heat ranges .I ordered a code scanner from CSK ,pulled codes as followed:koeo=11,c=41 ,koer=21,77,52. Any suggestion to these problems or codes.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/2digit.html

The KOER codes of 21, 77 and 52 might be related to how the testing was done, rather than indicate problems with your truck. 21 is an ECT out of range code, which can be tripped if the engine is not fully warmed up when the codes are pulled. The 77 code means the "goose test" part of the code-pulling procedure was performed improperly. Code 52 often means that the steering wheel wasn't turned at right moment or the right amount during the testing process.

In any case, you always want to attack the KOEO code(s) first. Code 41 means that you are running lean. Too much unmetered air and/or not enough fuel is getting into the combustion chambers. Look for air leaks, PCV system leaks, check all vacuum hoses and connections etc.

In addition, try and get a fuel pressure test done. Maybe you are having low fuel pressure problems. When is the last time the fuel filter was changed? Clogged fuel injectors could also contribute to a lean condition.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:16 PM
blue ranger
New User
The fuel filter was changed about a month ago when the plugs were changed.Today I pulled out two plugs to check the tips and both were coverd with black carbon is this too much fuel or plugs not hot enough.I,am guessing the fuel pressure regulator is bad and too much fuel is fouling out my plugs.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:34 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
get a vacuum guage and check the vacuum and FPR

Old 09-19-2004, 02:56 AM
goose213
Junior User
I think you have a miss fire problem. If you have a miss fire there will be unburnt fuel and lots of oxygen going out the tail pipe. The O2 sensor sees the oxygen and thinks it's lean sending more fuel into the engine. Check the fuel pressure regulator, test the coils