Sponsored by: DP Tuner

replacing vacuum pump in the rain today

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 01:56 PM
gotama
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing vacuum pump in the rain today

does anyone have any suggestions on how to quickly and painlessly replace the vacuum pump on my 97 psd?...how do i losen up the serpentine belt to be more specific?..my extended warr expired..now i have to get dirty!

Old 09-17-2004, 03:57 PM
McHarward
Junior User
Use The Right Tools To Remove And Install The Pulley. When Putting The Pulley Back On Mine My Father In Law Hit It With A Hammer And Knocked The Guts Out The Back Of It. It Took Me A Hour To Put It Back Together. If I Remember Correctly There Was Three Bolts. There Is A Tension Pulley Near The Passanger Side Top Of All The Pulleys Use A Breaker Bar With Socket Or A Large Ratchet With Socket On It And Pull, The Belt Will Loosen Enough To Slip The Belt Off The Pulley. It Is Not Really A Hard Job It Probably Would Have Taken 20-30 Minutes If I Had Not Had To Rebuild The New Vaccume Pump. Let Me Know How It Goes.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:04 PM
gotama
Senior User
Thanks Dude!...i Really Appreciate Your Info.....will Let You Know How It Goes.....and Ya Going To Get A Puller For Sure...

Jon

Old 09-17-2004, 04:12 PM
McHarward
Junior User
Talking

Oh Yea What Ever You Do Dont Let Your Father In Law Help.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
gotama
Senior User
ya no sweat!...only problem was the home made puller i made in high school was not up to the task...i consider i got off easy compared to you though...my x outlaw would have been wearing a hammer if he tried to hammer the pully back on...also now i know where my cam sensor is ...looks like a job from below...in the mean time i keep my fingers crossed

Old 09-24-2004, 06:07 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I did mine recently and it was a quick change. Instead of buying a puller and press, I had the autoparts store do that part of it for me (free of charge). Make sure you use the right tools.