Speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:15 AM
bullfrog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Speaker replacement

Greetings all:
I'll post this topic in Audio/Video as well, but wanted to share it with the V-10 group as well.
For my 2005 crew cab, just replaced the substandard Ford OEM 6" x 8" speakers with Infinity Kappa series 2 way coaxial speakers, front and rear. Model No. 682.7cf. KEPT THE FACTORY head unit in the dash, you do not need to replace the factory stereo unit. No attention drawn to the upgraded system other than your own ears.
Also, added Planet Audio VX2004 4 channel amplifier--bolted to the rear wall right behind the back seat. In the center, right next to the rear sliding window power modulator. Just a small cutout in the factory acoustic material accomodated it perfectly. Highly recommend a professional audio shop installation, not the "home of the $1 install" chain audio shops.
What can I say? The difference is startling. The Ford factory speakers are 25 watts per channel, 4 ohm, cheap tweeter & dome material construction and very "muddy" sounding. Infinity Kappas are 100 watts, 2 ohm, high end construction materials and absolutely crystal clear. You'll never believe what you're ears have been missing; nothing short of incredible.
Bullfrog

Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bullfrog, What did this upgrade cost and thanks for the info. I have the 6 CD system in my 05 and I do agree it does not sound near as good as the 500 dollar system my son just put in his Corolla.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:40 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
Bullfrog, What did this upgrade cost and thanks for the info. I have the 6 CD system in my 05 and I do agree it does not sound near as good as the 500 dollar system my son just put in his Corolla.
The speakers are cheap, the whole 'lowest bidder' thing. And second is the watts the radio pumps out is on the low side. Wrench with $200 you could have a very fine sounding system. $100 for 4 good speakers and $100 for an amp. If you wanted killer sound add a $100 subwoofer, either an amplified one, or a $50 non powered sub that your new amp will run. It's all about input, need input. Even with your stock cheap-o speakers an amp will help beau coup. My first upgrade was more power to stock speakers. Then a 10" 100 watt sub, then 6 aftermarket speakers.

I dont do Bach, "I WANNA ROCK" !!! So an audiophile I aint, but I can rock the house now with just a couple simple upgrades.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 AM
bullfrog
Junior User
Hello Wrenchtraveller,
Total cost was about $600 + tax including installation. Best mod one could make on these trucks in my humble opinion. The Infinity Kappa speakers are about $120 per pair. One very small step down from those are Infinity Reference series (crutchfield.com for reviews) at about $95 per pair, also sound excellent. To my ear, Infinity 2 way coaxials beat all others (incl 3 ways & 4 ways), costing a little less and some costing significantly more ($150+ per pr.) You can get a less expensive amplifier than the 4 channel Planet Audio, but this one's not going to overheat and will never be underpowered, plus 5 yr warranty. However, an amp will be needed to "bypass" the headunit and power your new speakers. Again, no need whatsoever to replace your factory stereo/cd player. You will love these speakers and your son will be asking for your truck keys to go listen to your stereo...

Last edited by bullfrog; 08-23-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 AM
bullfrog
Junior User
Speaker replacement (cont'd)

Ken, sounds like a strong system! Also considered the subwoofer addition in the crewcab, however space is very limited. Not sure if you own van or truck currently? Previously I had 2000 Excursion and frankly, the factory system/speakers were superior to what arrived in my 2005 F250 c/cab; these speakers are, embarassingly, piles of junk. Adding the amp would only make poor quality sound louder; that's why the speaker replacement came first. Certainly, there are less expensive speakers out there; any replacement for the factory ones will be an improvement.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bullfrog
Ken, sounds like a strong system! Also considered the subwoofer addition in the crewcab, however space is very limited. Not sure if you own van or truck currently? Previously I had 2000 Excursion and frankly, the factory system/speakers were superior to what arrived in my 2005 F250 c/cab; these speakers are, embarassingly, piles of junk. Adding the amp would only make poor quality sound louder; that's why the speaker replacement came first. Certainly, there are less expensive speakers out there; any replacement for the factory ones will be an improvement.
I bought a Bazooka, but I have an ext length van so space wasn't a problem. And I want 5.1 surround sound for my TV's. But, my wife's little XL-7 has a subwoofer option, it goes under the rear seats, so there are options. You don't need much room, a subwoofer has to reflect off a hard surface anyway to be effective so 3 or 4" behind the seats is plenty. Alot of the killer systems in cars now have the subs in the trunk. I have a 98 Ford, so if your 2000 speakers were better than the 2005's then my 98's must be the bomb !! Heh heh, I put in Sony's, or Clarions or something. Like I said, I don't care so much for quality, hell I listen to Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, et al. Those bands wouldn't sound any better with a $10,000 set of speakers, I just want it loud and proud. The sub makes most of the difference, the rest is just highs.

BTW the Bazooka brand powered subs start at 6.5" wide. I just checked FWIW.

And finally here is a super thin, 120 watt sub that will go anywhere. This is the model that comes optional in our Suzuki, and it aint a big space under those seats. http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/...s/SRV303_.html

Last edited by ken04; 08-23-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
bullfrog
Junior User
That is a slick subwoofer! Thanks Ken.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Bullfrog and Ken, Thanks for some good ideas and some interesting reading. Best of luck to both of you.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
DJR 17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bullfrog, how did you hook up the amp? Does the factory radio have preamp out or did you use speaker inputs to the amp? I have a couple of RF punch amps laying around, but didn't want to change the factory radio out.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:44 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
With my truck just having an AM/FM (no cassette or CD) and 2 speakers, you guys are making me jealous!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NoMo
With my truck just having an AM/FM (no cassette or CD) and 2 speakers, you guys are making me jealous!
Roll down those windows and plant your right foot amigo, there aint no sweeter music than 10 cylinders spewing exhaust !

Old 08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Well, while I do love the V10, there's at least one thing 'sweeter'... the sound of a big-block V8.

Hey- that gives me an idea. I'll record my loud 460, burn the clip to CD and sell it to the ricers to play over their $10,000 stereo systems. I'll send a sticker and claim it gives their car another 100HP!

Old 08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NoMo
Well, while I do love the V10, there's at least one thing 'sweeter'... the sound of a big-block V8.

Hey- that gives me an idea. I'll record my loud 460, burn the clip to CD and sell it to the ricers to play over their $10,000 stereo systems. I'll send a sticker and claim it gives their car another 100HP!
(hey, NoMo, SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH, we're not s'posed to say V8 stuff in here, keep it quiet will ya? I'm with ya. I love the sound of the V10, mostly. But buddy everytime I here a well built V8, well I can't say in a public forum what it does to me, but my wife asks me to go to the races ALOT now)

Old 08-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
I like NoMos idea of taping a 460 but I wouldn't give it to the Honda people, I would put a big set of speakers up under the rear of my truck and make it sound like the good old days. Too bad a V10 can't sound like a V8. You should be able to have your cake and eat it too.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Maybe I could use the $$ from the sales to buy me a CD player and play my own "460" disc in the Super Duty!

Quick Reply: Speaker replacement