Sponsored by:

Milemarker electric winch

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Milemarker electric winch

Well I was all convinced that I'd go with a Milemarker 12,000 pound winch when I bought one, seeing as how they're half the price of the Warn 12K. After reading this thread on Pirate I've changed my mind. I guess you really do get what you pay for. In all fairness it seems they're talking just about the 12K, not the other models but beware!!!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283020

Old 09-13-2004, 07:22 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go for the MM hydro winches if i was you. Doesnt pull as fast, but it does pull harder and doesnt over heat or drain the battery like eletrics.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
I plan to get a hydro winch eventually but I think my first purchase will be an electric so I can use it up front or in the back if need be. This was just kind of a wakeup call . . . I knew the MM Hydros were the shiznat but apparently their electrics aren't that great at all. Found this thread also: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249602

Old 09-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
i have the mm e 9000 and love the winch. it has a few things i would change, but then you would be paying the same price as warns. i like it because it gets me out of stucks. may not be the fastest, and sometimes you have to keep an eye on it, but it gets the job done. never had any problems with it and i get stuck alot! the cable will bind up in the drum if you are not carefull, but it's not that big of a deal. like i said, just takes a little more time. i will be getting a mm e12000 soon and putting the 9000 on the back. heres how i would think about it. if i was using my winch to pull my up the trail the whole time, i would get a warn. but if your like me and like to drive your truck most of the time and just you use the winch to get you out of the situation you thought you could make... go with the mm and do something else with the 1000 bucks you save.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:47 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
hmm, kinda scarey!

i am saving up as we speak b/c i am gonna get Warns new value line winch....the Magnum 9K

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/magnum9k.shtml

and i will buying it from here......they seem to offer the BEST price anywhere.

https://www.clemson4wheel.com/category.asp?catcode=311

now maybe i will get to use my AmSteel Blue rope

-cutts-

Old 09-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
wow, maybe i will wait and try the Tabor 12000 winch made by warn in the value series so hopfully it's good.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:17 PM
jopey
Elder User
don't rule out those T-Max winches. They seem to be the upcoming great winches from what I have heard from the people running them.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:50 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
i have heard mixed things about the value line winches and the t-max's. it really makes me nervous that they are so much cheaper.....i mean what makes them cheaper? the materials is all i can think of unless they quit boxing'em up and you have to paint them! i dunno

-cutts-

Old 09-14-2004, 08:27 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
If I had it to do over again I would get a Warn, it doesn't seem like there is any other choice. The last time I got parts from U.S.Winch for my piece of crap Ramsey the guy said if I wanted a reliable Ramsey then I should have bought the 8000# they are more durable. I say save your money hold out for the Warn. Hydro's are only good if you can keep the engine running.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:10 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mark a.
Hydro's are only good if you can keep the engine running.
Yup, that's why I want an electric first. Later on, as funds permit, I'll go with hydro up front. I like the fact that they never burn out and never overheat. BUT in the situation where your engine is dead for whatever reason you're stuck so I'm going to put a receiver front and rear and mount my electric on that as a backup plan. Just seems like everytime you try to save money by going cheap on something like this you end up spending MORE when you have to buy it again for the 3rd time.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Ivan - I have heard some negative comments on doing the receiver winch front and rear idea. The comments that I have hear is the receiver and/or the winch tray is not up to the task especially if you get into a angle pull. What is your take on it? Most all of the manufacturers make their trays to hold up to either a 9000 or 10,000 lb winch.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM
jopey
Elder User
I have a buddy who has used the receiver hitch winch with a 9500lb warn for over 3 years. it has pros and cons. couple of the big cons are if you get stuck in somthign thats blocking your receiver your not putting that winch on. another is your winch is typically sticking out pretty far as well as killing you approach and departure angles. luggin that winch from the front to back will get old after a while as well.

I have a 12k warn up front, I am planning on putting a 8-9500 warn under the back of the bronco. leaning towards the 8k because they are cheap and they really do not have much less pull than the 9500 which is alot more expensive. If you ****** block the 8k your pulling up to 16k. I know for what I wheel that would pull me out just fine.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:46 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
i've been huntin and have decided i might just go with an 8274 that is used and rebuild it. i have found a couple for about $400 and to rebuild it would cost like $50 or less. and I already have me a brand new AmSteel Blue rope i never got to use

i would LOVE to run a MM12K lb hydro but now that i am running hydro assist i have ruled out a hydro winch

-cutts-

Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ronin007
Ivan - I have heard some negative comments on doing the receiver winch front and rear idea. The comments that I have hear is the receiver and/or the winch tray is not up to the task especially if you get into a angle pull. What is your take on it?
I wasn't planning to buy one but rather to build one and I have a tendancy to over build anyway so I don't think that will be an issue. As far as it sticking out too far and messing up approach angles I'll be leavin it in the truck unless I need it. Most of the time I'll be able to use the hydro anyway but in the rare occurance that the engine won't run I'll have the electric as backup. The other thing about going this route is if you have more than 1 rig you can still just use 1 winch instead of having to buy stock in Warn.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:36 AM
wyldstallyn73
Elder User
Ive been running a MM hydro all summer, I got it used, it's plumbed to its own saginaw steering pump, and i put a cooler in the return line in front of the radiator. It is slow and the cable is hard to pull out but my biggest beef is that when pulling long or heavy the winch stops. The hydro motor gets hot. It seems to help if I open the hood before I begin winching to let hot air flow on out. I dont know if the fluid is just getting too hot or maybe the motor needs rebuilt. anyone else have any opinions/ experiences ????

Quick Reply: Milemarker electric winch