Oil & Lubrication  

what kind of oil in a/t and transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:22 PM
02sd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what kind of oil in a/t and transfer case?

I have a 2002 f250 4x4 with a 7.3 and would like to know what type of oils are used in the automatic trans and also what goes in the transfer case, it's an auto shift type if it makes a difference, also does the factory use a synthetic oil or not, it says mercon on the trans dipstick. Can I put synthetic oils in either of the transmissions? I would like to stick with a ford spec oil if possible. I recently put in motorcraft 75w-140 synthetic into the diff's, as I thought it was factory fill, just wondering if that was a good move? I will be using Rotell T 15W-40 in the engine for now until I get a few more miles on it and am thinking of switching to a synthetic eventually when I can get some idea of what is a good synthetic to use, anyone out there have some ideas? I just recently bought this truck and am trying to figure out all the maintenance things I need to do to it to make it last.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:02 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 02sd
I have a 2002 f250 4x4 with a 7.3 and would like to know what type of oils are used in the automatic trans and also what goes in the transfer case, it's an auto shift type if it makes a difference, also does the factory use a synthetic oil or not, it says mercon on the trans dipstick. Can I put synthetic oils in either of the transmissions? I would like to stick with a ford spec oil if possible. I recently put in motorcraft 75w-140 synthetic into the diff's, as I thought it was factory fill, just wondering if that was a good move? I will be using Rotell T 15W-40 in the engine for now until I get a few more miles on it and am thinking of switching to a synthetic eventually when I can get some idea of what is a good synthetic to use, anyone out there have some ideas? I just recently bought this truck and am trying to figure out all the maintenance things I need to do to it to make it last.
Your tranny takes MERCON fluid. No MERCON V. No dual rated MERCON/MERCON V. MERCON only.

Dual rated MERCON/DEXRON III is OK.

If you haul heavy loads or tow a lot, syn. tranny fluid is a good choice. Mobil 1 is used by many (most) people. If not, then regular dino tranny fluid will be OK. Use whatever brand/price you like.

The transfer case gets MERCON fluid too.

Your diff. did come with 75w-140 syn. fluid, so you were correct in using that.

Last edited by jschira; 09-12-2004 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was surprised by jschira's reply to the post. So, I began reading through the various sources I had. I kept getting conflicting information. That really had me scratching my ugly head. Finally, I called Valvoline and Ford. What they said is all Ford automatics in 2002 require Mercon V (largely due to proper shift performance and to avoid shudder) EXCEPT the F250 with the E4OD(HD) automatic with a provision for PTO. Just as jschira wrote, it is to take Mercon ONLY and never a Mercon/Mercon V mixture or Mercon V by itself. The F350 with the E4OD with a pick-up bed is to take the Mercon V; while the F350 HD with a cab/chassis and provision for PTO is to take Mercon, just as the F250 HD or CS.

Thanks for the information and the learning, jschira!! My curiosity was NOT doubting you, per se; rather, I truly thought that all the newest generation automatics from 01-up took Mercon V. I surely appreciate your knowledge and respect what you know!

Old 09-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Blly177
Senior User
i know mobil 1 meets mercon v specs

Old 09-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loan Ranger
The F350 with the E4OD with a pick-up bed is to take the Mercon V; while the F350 HD with a cab/chassis and provision for PTO is to take Mercon, just as the F250 HD or CS.
That's all wrong. *ALL* E4OD and 4R100 transmissions use MERCON, not MERCON V, and not a fluid that has both MERCON and MERCON V ratings.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:17 AM
cmlind
Senior User
Just to make it more confusing... My uncle has a 99 F250 Super duty V10. Not sure which tranny, but it does have a pto. He had shudder with mercon and his shop started using Chrysler atf+3 and it has been running great for over 100k. My brothers 99 F250 v10 also is using Chrysler fluid and runs fine. They both use the same transmission shop for their service and they are very reputable as the best in the area. Our local Ford dealer also is using Chrysler fluid to fix shudder problems. I have heard this from several people and seen jugs of Atf +3 sitting on the floor behind the parts counter, although they wouldn't tell me they use it.

If you develop shudder problems, might be worth talking to your local transmission shop about this. I am not sure if a dealer would admit to using it though.

good luck

Old 09-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Casey wrote that I was wrong in my post. I would have thought, too, that I would have been mistaken. That was partially the reason I called Valvoline and Ford. I was trying to clarify the matter. What jschira posted really got my attention so I was trying to find out for sure.

Frankly, I thought before that what Casey posted above would be factual. (I surely won't argue with him now.) After I had called to try to verify the requirements, I posted it here. If, as it turns out, Casey is correct and I am still wrong--which, to be honest, I strongly suspect--I am truly quite sorry.

But, in retrospect, do not all the Ford AT dipsticks list the ATF requirement on either the dipstick metal itself or on the plastic handle??

Casey, I surely do appreciate your correcting post! Thank you!

I do take posting statements on this site very seriously. I do deeply apologize if what I posted--irregardless of the sources I called--is wrong. A new and expensive truck is nothing on which to take chances!!

Last edited by Loan Ranger; 09-21-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
This is in reply to cmlind's post. That was one of the reasons I was trying to call both Valvoline and Ford about the ATF requirements for the various transmissions in the Ford pickups. You see, the Mercon V--like the Chrysler ATF 3--has anti-shuddering compounds. The way Valvoline explained it to me when I called them: MOST of the Ford automatics used in newer trucks require Mercon V in order to shift correctly, shift smoothly, and NOT SHUDDER. However, in heavier duty automatics, Mercon--NOT Mercon V--was required for shift quickness and torque transfer without detrimental slippage and wear.

But, as I typed in my last post, Casey said I was wrong in what I entered in my post.

You all can laugh at me freely and openly, but being wrong in that worries me quite terribly. You see, as I typed in my last post, I really take quite seriously entering something in these forums. NO QUESTION IN A FORUM IS STUPID; BUT THERE CAN BE GROSSLY INCORRECT REPLIES. My reply being wrong has me really worried. I would NEVER wish to put something in that would mess somebody up to any degree on any subject. Irregardless of the age of their Ford, they want and need to get accurate information and to take good care of their vehicle. Folks, truly, I am so very sorry for being wrong in what I posted.

I really am grateful to casey for setting the record--and me--straight on it.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Jerrybo66
Elder User
FWIW....Just today I went to the Ford dealer to find out what fluid I should put in my '97 F-350, PSD, with the E40D. I was leaning toward a synthetic. I picked the oldest service rep. there to ask. He said , Mercon/Dextron III only. Mercon V is synthetic and not recommended by Ford in the E4OD. I don't know about the newer trannies..I bought Castrol Mercon/Dextron III on the way home...

Old 09-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blly177
i know mobil 1 meets mercon v specs
On the Mobil 1 website, the data sheet for Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF states that it is DexronIII/Mercon...not Mercon V. I use Mobil 1 ATF in both trannies, transfer cases, and power steering units on my trucks.

Last edited by Jakebrake; 09-26-2004 at 11:47 PM.