Trim Clips on 86 F-150 XLT Lariet

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Lee Lichterman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim Clips on 86 F-150 XLT Lariet

I am getting ready to paint my truck and have everything stripped down and am about to start sanding but......

When I took the trim off the sides, I was able to get them all except for the green clips just in front of and just behind the doors. I was able to get the trim off with the tool but these 4 clips won't come off. I am assuming they are bolt on like the other ones that were shaped like this but I can't figure out how to get to the nuts. I haven't pulled all the trim out of the cab yet so I might be able to get to the ones just in back of the door that way but I did looked at the front fender and I see no way of getting to that one at all.

Do I just sand and paint around these? I have to think there is some way to get these off in case someone broke one. With enough uniwiggles and taking the door off to get a bit of extra room, I might be able to snake my way around to them to get them off but doubt I would ever get them back on again.

These are the metal ones with the little spring arm where you hook the spring arm to unlock it then twist to unlock it from the trim piece. In actuality, I really only have 3 instead of 4 as it appears they used one of the plastic type snap on clips on the driver's side but then used one of these bolt in ones on the passenger side just behind the door. Both the ones in front of the door are the metal ones.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance,

Lee