Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help...Access to Fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...Access to Fuel Filter?

I just purchased a '95' F-250 PSD...my first diesel. According to the manual my fuel filter is below the plastic cover marked "Powerstroke". How do I open the cover? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:01 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
the cover has a lid in it, and a finger hole at the front. Just lift it up

Old 09-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
Geez....its that easy? Just lift the front and it pivots in the back?

Old 09-11-2004, 04:29 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I've often wondered why Ford did away with the flip-up lid for the solid piece of plastic that's on the 1999+ PSDs.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:29 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
If you flip up the "hood" looking thing you will see a round black plastic top on the fuel bowl, about 5-6" across. The factory one has ridges sticking up and slots to put a squared off screwdriver or small prybar in and unscrew it counterclockwise. The filter pulls up out of the bowl with the lid.

Make sure the small rubber gasket from the bottom of the filter comes out with it, kind of a cone shape a little bigger than a quarter and 1/4" or so tall. It is part of the filter but sometimes comes off when you pull the old one out.

If you look toward the grill and a bit to the passenger side of the front edge of the filter housing you will see a yellow plastic lever. This is the fuel bowl drain - if you rotate it toward the passenger side 1/4 turn it will drain the fuel out of the fuel bowl. Put a catch pan under the truck or you will have a mess. I put a short piece of fuel hose on the end of the pipe the fuel drains out of and let it hang down so the fuel does not go all over. You can clamp it in place and leave it there permanently. Do NOT forget to close the valve - don't ask why I say this (hee hee).

When replacing the filter, some replacements have a lid already built onto them and some do not. The factory lid and filter snap together, you will see two "catches" the same color as the plastic filter cap (kind of brown). If you do not see these you probably have an aftermarket filter that includes the lid.

Your replacement filter should have a large triangulated "O" ring that seals the lid to the filter housing, make sure you install it point up so the pointed tip contacts the plastic fuel filter housing lid and not the metal housing.

I use Fleetguard filters part number FS1298 in mine.

Dave / Believer45

Old 09-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
That was perfect Dave....much easier to do then I anticipated. I appreciate the help.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
Glad I could be of assistance. I hope you are as happy with your 95 as I have been with mine for four years.

Dave / Believer45