Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOUR WHEELER mag. top truck challenge. How may Fords?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 01:30 PM
JTdesert
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOUR WHEELER mag. top truck challenge. How may Fords?

Just got done looking over Four Wheeler's mags Top Truck Challenge (or something like that) in Safeway. Out of ten rigs, guess how many Fords are are featured and have a chance to win? 0. There was a Suzuki Sidekick for heaven' sake! But no Ford. JT

PS There was a time when the sun never set on the English empire. Now the sun never sets on Bigfoot.

Old 09-04-2004, 01:42 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you know why?

b/c Ford would be the winner, so they don't even need the competition!

no seriously though, it is sad isn't it? i always thought they should at LEAST compete Ford, Dodge, and Chevy...but that's just me

-cutts-

Old 09-04-2004, 02:01 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Realistically though most of the rigs in there are nowhere close to stock in terms of suspension or engines anyway. The last top truck challenge I watched had a 67 Ford with a GM engine in it. Crazy! But I always have to cheer for the Ford when it's out there.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:38 PM
DaveAK
Senior User
I agree they are all so modified that usually it is all jeeps or sukis or homemade rock crawlers.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
ChevmaninaFord
Senior User
Four Wheeler picks the trucks based on the ones they think are the most capable rigs.... sort of like the All-Star game in baseball. The previous statement was right about the trucks being nowhere near stock, is true. Most of the "Jeeps" in there have either Chevy or Ford axles, and either a Chevy or Ford transmission. The Top Truck Challenge a few years back, a couple of the Jeeps had 5.0L Mustang engines in them.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:44 PM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
someone on here should enter for the challenge next time, someone needs to step up instead of just talkin talk. come on guys, someone has to take the bar

Old 09-04-2004, 07:03 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
I don't know of anybody here who has a truck built for that event. Pro's truck would probably be the most capable but I wonder about it on the rock crawl and tank trap due to it's height and size. Plus I don't know that he'd be looking forward to the body damage. Maybe we can all bribe him with beer so he'll go and try it. One of these days I would like to build a 4 linked truck and have at it but that stupid money thing keeps coming up.

Last edited by ivanribic; 09-04-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:15 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
heck Ivan just break out the wallet, and quit whinning about it, it's only money and the goverment will print more.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:07 PM
JTdesert
Freshman User
I like how it's being sponcered by the Nissan Titan and there's not a Nissan part in the bunch.

I bet Gravedigger would win it, or any Monster truck for that matter. Why not?
None of 'em made it through the mud pit, a monster truck would float over it.
Monster truck could climb that hill, not the fasted maybe, but it'd get to the top. Monster truck would eat up that ramp.
Towing? Forgetaboutit. Monster trucks often tow modular homes when their not at Monster truck races.
mini rubicon? Like a monster truck would feel those rocks, might not even see them.
tank trap? No problem, see mud pit stadegy.
Obstacle coarse? What obstacle? After monster truck gets done, change the name to 'coarse'.
JT

Old 09-05-2004, 12:19 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
it's a lot like rooting for your fav ford out on the NASACR track.....there ain't a thing on those cars that come from the factory stock but you still do it just b/c it says Ford on the grill.

Ivan, stay off damn Ebay and start a savings bank to send Pro, hell it wouldn't take 3 months for you to save up enough...

-cutts-

Old 09-05-2004, 01:10 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
I think it would be cool as hell to get a trailer and a group of us together to go down there. Would need to have a good supply of spare parts though . . . I'll betcha he breaks some stuff.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:34 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
well when randy gets his project up and going with those rockwells and 52" tires being pushed my a 390 maybe we will get him to go with us!

-cutts-

Old 09-05-2004, 02:38 AM
william_ace
Senior User
i have 2 inch coil spacers and 2 inch lift blocks in the rear. i know i can fit rockwells and 52 inch tires. but what do they look like? how much will it cost to get lower gears, such as 4.10s or 4.56.?? if anybody needs some parts for their top truck challenge rig, i have a stock 8.8 with 3.55s that you can have. thanks guys

Old 09-05-2004, 10:18 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Top truck challenge is nothing more than a bunch of people that should know better intentionaly destroying there vehicles. How many times does a sensible person put there truck in a position where there 99% sure they will break there drive shaft ? or blow an expensive tire ? I thought the idea for 4 wheeling was knowing your trucks limitations and getting out in one piece. One more stupid event from 4 wheeler.
Oh yea , the trip through Guatemala in october's issue realy had me on the edge of my seat too.
I cant stand this magazine anymore.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:32 AM
JTdesert
Freshman User
No, no, no. All the the rigs in the TTC are bone stock. I just went down to my local Dodge Dealer and test drove a 6x6 with three Rockwells. Handles great.

Seriously, the top vote getter was the 6x6 dodge with 745 reader votes. I figger, 400-500 votes gets you in. It seems readers favor the weird (6x6, unimog, landcruiser), jeeps(4 jeeps), and chevies(3). So when entering a Ford, must have a niche. Like the ability to do wheelies. So the question is-can your truck do wheelies?
JT

Quick Reply: FOUR WHEELER mag. top truck challenge. How may Fords?