'04 F150 - Aftermarket Amp with OEM HU?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 10:50 AM
JonC
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 F150 - Aftermarket Amp with OEM HU?

I have the base stereo in an '04 F150 XLT Screw. Is it possible to install an aftermarket amp with the factory HU? Will it sound ok, or will it be noticeably inferior to an amp with an aftermarket HU? Of course, I would upgrade the speakers at the same time. Thanks.

Jon

Old 09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Renegadesrun
Senior User
Originally Posted by JonC
I have the base stereo in an '04 F150 XLT Screw. Is it possible to install an aftermarket amp with the factory HU? Will it sound ok, or will it be noticeably inferior to an amp with an aftermarket HU? Of course, I would upgrade the speakers at the same time. Thanks.

Jon
Yes, using a LOC (line out converter) or one of Audiocontrols products.

In every upgrade i have ever done, even cheap junk was better than stock. Blows (Bose) included.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:39 PM
ieee_raider
Senior User
The problem with keeping your stock HU is the way ford HU's are designed.

In order to prevent distortion on stock speakers, the bass is cut out as you turn up your speakers.
So, as you crank up your system, your sub's max volume will be reached well before your other speakers.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
JonC
Freshman User
That is interesting. The only reason I'm considering keeping the stock HU is for looks - The existing HU space is very big and an aftermarket HU may look odd.

Jon

Old 09-04-2004, 01:08 PM
LinearPower
Senior User
Originally Posted by JonC
That is interesting. The only reason I'm considering keeping the stock HU is for looks - The existing HU space is very big and an aftermarket HU may look odd.

Jon

I have a standard DIN size aftermarket HU with an installation kit supplied by Crutchfield. The in-dash adapter has a little pocket above the HU, and, to me, looks very reasonable. It blends in nicely. It's certainly better than putting up with the stock HU.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:14 PM
tinman67
Junior User
I have the same setup with a little slot above the aftermarket hu for a cd case. It looks like it belongs there.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:54 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
If you are worried about it not "looking right" you can probably go with DIN and a half size, there's a few of them on crutchfield. You are going to want to change your stock HU to aftermarket, spend at least $120 on the HU and not from Walmart, and you should be in good shape, you get what you pay for. You should always remember, aftermaket is better than stock. Unless you're stereo had stock Boston Acoustics, then you might get about the same quality as aftermarket. Personally, I think you should upgrade HU with pre-amp outputs, and get speakers also.

Old 09-05-2004, 02:09 AM
fordmanforlife
Freshman User
I went through the same thing. Had the stock H/U, changed speakers. Not loud enough, installed After market H/U. That was O.K. for a while, not loud enough. Next week amp gets installed! It never ends. Question is that the speakers say max. 60 watts. Would an amp with 40 watts RMS be a big difference to the 22 in the A/M H/U? and how are Alpine amps.?

Old 09-05-2004, 07:46 AM
LinearPower
Senior User
JonC, Be wary of broad general comments about cheap equipment being better than stock, or aftermarket being better than stock. Those comments cover a lot of territory. Everything depends on what the user wants from his system. We're talking about a few hundred dollars that can make a huge difference in the overall quality of the system. Not just sound quality, but build quality as well. The spectrum of quality in car audio is huge, and there are reasons for that. It is true that there are some "overpriced" brands, but for the most part the reasons that separate items of vastly different prices, that appear similar on the outside, all have to do with quality, both in parts and construction. Have you ever seen those guys who are ALWAYS having trouble with their system? Something is amiss constantly. There is a reason for that.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:28 AM
JonC
Freshman User
Since my post, I've seen some pictures of an aftermarket HU with the crutchfield adaptor with slot and it looks ok. I'll probably go that route eventually.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

Old 09-05-2004, 11:11 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
what speakers have a max of 60 watts? the amp with output at 40 watts rms is pretty good, you want to overpower your speakers with numbers, but just turn down the gain on the amp to make it sound clean, that way the amp isnt pushing all it's power.. alpine amps are pretty good, my friend had one in his focus with 1 12" kenwood, and it pushed the kenwood pretty good, i dont care for the kenwood brand though.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Renegadesrun
Senior User
Originally Posted by LinearPower
JonC, Be wary of broad general comments about cheap equipment being better than stock, or aftermarket being better than stock. Those comments cover a lot of territory.
Yes, and i know better.