Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford or Dodge Diesel and why?

Old 09-06-2004, 12:41 AM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they should outsource the HEUI injection stuff to Cat--they don't seem to be having these problems and perform very well--actually better than the comparable Cummins with common rail injection.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:09 AM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think LH is confused. I think he is confused about the 3.6 V8 that NADT is involved in, which will likely be PCR3. I'd like to see the source of the information about International supposedly abanding HEUI for the PSD 6.0L. Ford has the top light-truck diesel on the market, pilot or no pilot injection.

I think this is Cummins sour-grapes rumor mill stuff. What R&D is Cummins doing? Not much, and I don't see much coming down the line for ISB. Cummins is lucky they even have an engine being sold in anything other than commercial applications. International and Caterpillar are the main R&D diesel companies followed by DD ... in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:14 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PowerStroke King
I think this is Cummins sour-grapes rumor mill stuff. What R&D is Cummins doing? Not much, and I don't see much coming down the line for ISB. Cummins is lucky they even have an engine being sold in anything other than commercial applications. International and Caterpillar are the main R&D diesel companies followed by DD ... in my opinion.
Dont get me wrong cat makes great stuff. Cummins is a very large corporation. Probably worth 10 times what international is. Cummins is the largest manufacture of diesels over 50hp in the world. I think Isuzu actually sells many more diesels but mainly of lower hp.
Ford had sour grapes with international over the 6.0 launch. They were furious and last I heard had twisted internationals arm into dumping the heui for hpcr.
It may be apparent but I read the cummins sites too. I became interested in performance diesels in the late 90s. I did not get this info off of a cummins site but a ford site. Just not this one. I had read the common rail would be available on the 6.4. Dont know if it was true. It was a rumor nonetheless but propegated by the Ford boys. Not the Dodge boys. Have you seen the spy pics of the twin turboed 6.4?

Old 09-06-2004, 07:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
It has also been asserted that PI causes premature injector failure.

Wiht PI the cycle was twice...agreeed it was tuff on them!

Old 09-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
It has also been asserted that PI causes premature injector failure.

With PI the cycle was twice...agreeed it was tuff on them!
Because of the design.

Chevy is having a lot of problems with them now but they have been on the road for 4 years and 70k. The PSD injectors were bad out of the box. International was on their third design before the engine ever got out the door. It didnt work very well either. We call those the c94's.

Diesel jay also made a comment about chevy not having a high enough duty cycle for their injection system. In other words. It wasnt really intended to last very long.

Chevy screwed up bad. You have to pull the head to replace the injectors. Its a big dollar operation. Now the injectors are 60 bucks each and outside the head. Why do you think they redesigned? You think they might still be planning to lose injectors.

Now dodge has 3 injections. It will be interesting to watch this one unfold.

In these days of the internet. You better make sure someones 50k dollar truck will perform as advertised or your gonna hear about it. Taking away the PI is false advertising. They advertised a new quieter diesel. This was a selling point and helps convince the wives, the real decision makers. My wife likes the sound of a diesel so Im ok for a while longer.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-06-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Whistle
Freshman User
I bought the Dodge Saturday. MMMmmmm...it's an amazing truck. I winced driving by the used Ford lot on my way to get it. I guess I will just have to get one of each!!! Some day...

Thanks for ALL of the tech info guys! So far the truck runs & drives nice and has LOTS of power! Life couldn't get much better!

later,
Nick

Old 09-07-2004, 07:18 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Whistle
I bought the Dodge Saturday. MMMmmmm...it's an amazing truck. I winced driving by the used Ford lot on my way to get it. I guess I will just have to get one of each!!! Some day...

Thanks for ALL of the tech info guys! So far the truck runs & drives nice and has LOTS of power! Life couldn't get much better!

later,
Nick
Well that is sad........the good thing is I am sure there is a Dodge forum some where.............good luck

Old 09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Good luck. Tell us how those coils treat you.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:46 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Because of the design.

Chevy is having a lot of problems with them now but they have been on the road for 4 years and 70k. The PSD injectors were bad out of the box. International was on their third design before the engine ever got out the door. It didnt work very well either. We call those the c94's.

Chevy screwed up bad. You have to pull the head to replace the injectors. Its a big dollar operation. Now the injectors are 60 bucks each and outside the head. Why do you think they redesigned? You think they might still be planning to lose injectors.
Where is the Duramax having PI problems

Second part of the question is really of no concern to the consumer until after 200,000 miles when the warranty runs out.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:47 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmyers
Its now 17k for the F-350.
So what your saying is that the '05 just now finially caught up?

Old 09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
So what your saying is that the '05 just now finially caught up?
No you're saying that Chevy makes no mechanical changes to accomodate those numbers, while the new '05 Fords truly have been beefed up, go and look at both--Chevy has no changes to the suspension and the Fords have even more.
Chevys are newer than the Ford design, so the Chevy would have a little advantage anyway, but Chevy usually is on the lower end of the weight wars.

With a Chevy--you just can't polish a turd.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Electraglider
Freshman User
Forget the kids, keep the Harley and buy a std cab, 2wd and get better mileage with a a shorter turning radius.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:10 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=MW95F250]No you're saying that Chevy makes no mechanical changes to accomodate those numbers, while the new '05 Fords truly have been beefed up, go and look at both--Chevy has no changes to the suspension and the Fords have even more.
Chevys are newer than the Ford design, so the Chevy would have a little advantage anyway, but Chevy usually is on the lower end of the weight wars.

[QUOTE]

They didn't need too- they were #1 until '05. I would assume with the '06 model year they will make the appropiate changes with the motor upgrades

Old 09-08-2004, 01:55 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=DMAX-HD][QUOTE=MW95F250]No you're saying that Chevy makes no mechanical changes to accomodate those numbers, while the new '05 Fords truly have been beefed up, go and look at both--Chevy has no changes to the suspension and the Fords have even more.

They didn't need too- they were #1 until '05. I would assume with the '06 model year they will make the appropiate changes with the motor upgrades

Wrong again. If they slap higher numbers on the same stuff--without proof that it can handle it, there's where you're coming from.

Fords have always been underrated in their capacities, just like Chevys are always overrated.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MW95F250
Fords have always been underrated in their capacities, just like Chevys are always overrated.
I would be interested in any evidence you have to support this.

Ford had to redesign to up its ratings. That much is obvious. So the 04 fords could not have been underrated or they wouldve kept the design and just increased the ratings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford or Dodge Diesel and why?