Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford or Dodge Diesel and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 05:46 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Variable Geometry Turbochargers use flexible vanes, with literally dozens of wear points and individual parts constantly moving under intense pressure and heat.
It is new technology and does allow for faster spoolup. The price is it costs more new and to replace. Also it is much more failure prone. Do a search on it in the 6.0 forums and you will see that they are not as reliable as the old non variable style that the 7.3 used. Variable is necessary with egr.

Have you ever had to buy a unit injector? They are an interesting technology but they are dated. Common rail does the same thing. Only common rail is a little better at multiple injections. Maybe it would be better said like this. Boschs technology is slightly better at multiple injections than Siemens.

Oil changes are simpler on the 6.0. Not that you would need to but try replacing a valve cover gasket on either. You would find the cummins a much easier candidate to work on the engine itself. Have you looked inside the 6.0s engine compartment?

Old 09-04-2004, 06:30 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Ive heard you say this. I was under the impression that it met the 04 standards. Do you have any information I could read regarding this?
It does meet the standards by emissions credits. They're using a loophole. I'll try and find a source for you.

Old 09-04-2004, 01:11 PM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hunter_Krow
Dmax-hd
Checked the site of chevy and the duramax makes a max hp of 310@ 3000rpm w/Allison trans. and 605 ft-lbs of torque at 1600rpm. Now if one was to opt for the standard or manual trans the ratings would be lower at 300hp@3000rpm and 520ft-lbs of torque@1600rpms.
-Hunter-
The allison is better than the zf-6. The zf-6 has a flywheel and clutch-plate issue. It's worthless comparing a manual to the auto's anyway. Allison and TS's are very good, and the best you can use for towing. A serious tower will only look at Duramax/Allison and PSD/TS. If you want to maintain higher tow-speeds, the PSD/TS is better. The TS will also take way more abuse. We now know that you can burn up your transmission fluid ... and still come out with an uscathed TS.

Common rail? is this supposed to be advantages over HEUI? Common rail = horse/buggy technology. The germans (daimler) want to get off this at the soonest possible.

Yes, the cummins is easier to work on. So is the I-6 in my old Maverick. I can stand inside the engine compartment.

Old 09-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PowerStroke King
Common rail? is this supposed to be advantages over HEUI? Common rail = horse/buggy technology. The germans (daimler) want to get off this at the soonest possible.
You realise of course that ford is going to common rail. Because of all the shortcomings of the heui injectors.

That horse and buggy technology is space age right now. Up to 7 injections per powerstroke. Yep thats top of the line. I dont recall Chevy or Dodge having to turn off the pilot injection because of driveability problems.

Heui and common rail have a similar advantage. The pressure is seperate from engine rpm. Now common rail has an additional advantage. The pressurization and injection event are seperated.

I cant think of any horse and buggy that used a 26k psi common rail. Or piezo injectors. The old style diesels pressurised unit injectors with the cam. The injection pressures were pretty low. The lower the injection pressures the worse the emissions.

Using used engine oil as a hydraulic fluid doesnt seem wise to me. It works. But it has its quirks. You need a bunch of sensors just to tell the temp and viscosity of the oil. If there is any air its over. Dont think that oil cant foam. Then you have to figure you have two seperate high pressure systems. So you have to think about leaks. Its really a headache from an engineering point of view. It was the best thing going but common rail is the technology of the future. Ford knows it. So should you.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-04-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Yes, the cummins is easier to work on. So is the I-6 in my old Maverick. I can stand inside the engine compartment.
Thats funny. I had an old 231 in a mid 70s buick. There was so much room in the engine compartment. I used to stick several 50 lb sand bags up there to help put more weight on the front tires for steering and stopping in the winter. The engine was too light for the car.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:43 PM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
You realise of course that ford is going to common rail. Because of all the shortcomings of the heui injectors.
Oh, really? So what you're saying is that Ford is having a meeting with Cat Fuel Systems, and telling these guys to abandon HEUI-C, and, instead, go see Cummins, perhaps purchase their proprietary common-rail system, then go back, and re-market that to all HEUI customers, including International-Navistar. Or ... is Ford developing its own common-rail system?

PSK

Old 09-04-2004, 09:07 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, really? So what you're saying is that Ford is having a meeting with Cat Fuel Systems, and telling these guys to abandon HEUI-C, and, instead, go see Cummins, perhaps purchase their proprietary common-rail system, then go back, and re-market that to all HEUI customers, including International-Navistar. Or ... is Ford developing its own common-rail system?

PSK
At least Ford/International is using a real injection design, from the best diesel engine manufacturer in the world, Caterpillar.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru

PSK
Its not cummins common rail. Its boschs.
At least Ford/International is using a real injection design, from the best diesel engine manufacturer in the world, Caterpillar.
Real as opposed to what? When cat came up with it. It was ahead of its time. Now its dated. It gave you more injection control than a PLN system. Now common rail gives you even more control. Its the next logical step. Ford is heading in that direction so I guess they agree.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-04-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Siemens does common rail too. http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_sie...ch_commonrail/

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...x.php/t-196847 there have been a few problems. But cummins is having injector problems and so is the duramax. They have become too complicated to hold the same level of reliability as the old pop off style.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:47 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not cummins common rail. Its boschs.
Real as opposed to what? When cat came up with it. It was ahead of its time. Now its dated. It gave you more injection control than a PLN system. Now common rail gives you even more control. Its the next logical step. Ford is heading in that direction so I guess they agree.
It is not dated, the common rail is. John Deere has used it for years more than Cummins has.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MW95F250
It is not dated, the common rail is. John Deere has used it for years more than Cummins has.
LOL. I guess your right. One is going the way of the dinosaurs first and Im certain its not the high pressure common rail. I doubt john deere was using the pressures or the fancy injectors that todays diesels use.

Technically the PSD is common rail too. Just a different way of excecution.

Im sure you realise that cat was most likley not the first to use a hydraulic unit injector.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-04-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Instead of using a high pressure common rail with fuel inside. They use a high pressure oil common rail to pressurise the fuel.
http://www.diesel-central.com/News/oil_pump.htm Then the injector multiplies the pressure of the fuel up to 7 times. Imagine taking a 300 ft long 3 ft pipe that tapers to 6 inches at the end and pouring water down it. That water even if it had 0 pressure at the top of the 300 ft pipe. For this example it is important that the big end is quite a bit higher than the little end. I had a friend build a generator with a stream coming down a cliff near his house. You wouldnt believe the water pressure after falling only 100 ft.

As you use the oil to pressurise the piston in the injector. You must quickly replace it in the rail otherwise the pressure would go to 0 quite rapidly. This was the problem with the #6 and #8 cylinder firing in sequence. The pressure wouldnt be perfect for #8.

Also when you use used motor oil as hydraulic fluid there could be driveability problems. http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/newsl.../oil-foam.html This is an advertisement but it addresses one of the problems.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-04-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
http://www.directdiagnostics.co.uk/t...onicDiesel.htm
This explains the shortcomings of the fuel injection systems. HPCR is the best of all worlds. Weird thing is that it requires less energy to drive a hpcr system. Didnt realise.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:20 PM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
LH, you have me confused. Are you talking about a new engine that Ford is coming out with, or a new engine that Navistar is coming out with? And is this a US or overseas engine, and is this a car, truck or commercial engine? You said " ford is going to common rail. Because of all the shortcomings of the heui injectors." This seems to imply Navistar's engine. Please clarify.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
The PSD is going to high pressure common rail. Who knows how long itll take to get it to market. Ford is sick of the problems with heui. They never got it all the way right on the 7.3 and the 6.0 launch was a debacle.

Quick Reply: Ford or Dodge Diesel and why?