Accel DFI system for an '89 460?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 AM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accel DFI system for an '89 460?

Hello everyone, it's me again. For those who haven't seen my posts here and there, i'm knee-deep in a mess of takeing a 460 engine and E40D transmission from a 1989 F-450 Super Duty and putting them into my 1977 Lincoln Mark V. Needless to say, it's an interesting process. :)

Anyway, i'm getting to the point where i'm getting the new 460 engine back together (which is stock TPI fuel injection), and need to start thinking about the fuel system. Considering the changes that i'm makeing to the engine (aftermarket cam, pistons, possibly headers, fuel pump, throttle body, etc, and MAYBE nitrous), i'm going to need to have the computer re-programed or chipped. I was probably going to get a Diablo three-program chip or something, for the car will be daily driven on 87 octane, and put on 93 on the weekends. Now a Diablo chip custom-programed i'm guessing is going to run me in the $400+ range.

Someone else suggested to me for that price, i might want to start looking into an aftermarket engine computer, he reccomended the Accel DFI systems. I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with them, or knows much about them? I'm haveing an impossible time getting ANY information on them, mostly just websites with a small list of parts and then a number to call for more info >:(

My main concerns with the system is this:

1: With this engine/trans combo, the transmission is also controlled by the engine computer. Will an aftermarket engine computer, such as the Accel DFI systems, still shift the transmission?

2: I don't see any kits availible for this specific vehicle, or even this engine, only Fords they make specific kits for are 4.6s and 5.0s. There is a generic V-8 kit, how hard will that be to get working?

3: What sort of kits will i need? Most systems i see sold are $$$$$$$ and look like they are for converting a carbed engine to fuelie, they come with injectors, rails, intake manifold, everything. However, this engine is already stock fuelie, so all I really need is the ECM and hookup cable/software for my laptop computer. Can I buy just that? No place i've seen has been able to give me a really clear answer on that.

4: Wireing harness I'll want to make myself, if i can, as to hide as much of the wireing in the engine bay as i can to give a clean look. Is this possible? Mechanical work to me is intimidating, but being a computer nerd by trade electronics is easy. Just gimmi a spagettie diargram and i'll re-wire the whole car :)

5: Will this be any easier then fighting to get the stock engine computer to work? I've never been a HUGE fan of fuelie, due to the fact that i'm a control freak and want to be able to change every bit of the way the engine is running, and an Accel DFI system looks like it would be able to satisfy my craveing for control.

6: Am I out of my mind?

Old 08-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Anyone ever use these?

Old 09-01-2004, 12:18 AM
mako5972
Elder User
I have heard of D.F.I., unfortunately I have not heard a lot about it. Check out Hotrod at HOTROD.COM and do some research there. You just may find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 PM
furball69
Postmaster
I would think you would be all right with the stock computer depending on the nitrous system you plan on using, that and a fuel pump that will supply adequate fuel when the nitrous is on. The computer should do it's normal job of making sure you're not running lean by pumping more fuel. Find a reputable nitrous dealer and ask them questions and tell em what you got.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Breeze
Senior User
The aftermarket controllers wont control your E4OD, you will need a controller from a place like Baumann Engineering or such http://www.baumannengineering.com/tcs.htm as for the fuel injection, if you like playing with wiring and arent scared of computers, check this site out http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html its a EFI controller that you build and tune yourself. Theres a pretty interesting writeup on it here http://carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0403_mega/

Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Tsaven Nava
Senior User
Breeze, i think this is the third time you've come to the rescue and answered my questions perfectly, thank you muchly!

Those TCS things look TASTY, and quite reasonably priced for what they do. That megasquirt thing is nifty, but doesn't give the sort of control that the Accel DFI systems do (it only controls fuel, not spark, and the Accel DFIs also controls toruqe-converter lockup, A/C clutch, pretty much EVERYTHING save for transmission). And i hate codeing :\