Notices

E350 Vent Vacuum Supply/Canister Location

Old 08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
blgrable
New User
blgrable is starting off with a positive reputation.
E350 Vent Vacuum Supply/Canister Location

My air only vents through the defroster. I have determined that I have no vacuum at the switch. The vacuum appears to run through the firewall on the passenger side but I can't find out where it comes out and I can't find the vacuum canister that supports the vents. It appears to be under the blower but I can't see it to tell for sure. A label in the engine compartment idicates that it is located in the front center to passenger side of the engine compartment. I simply can not find it. I went to a Ford dealer and they printed the page for the vent switches and vacuum lines. It shows the supply vacuum line but not where it comes from. Talked to a mechanic and he said their manuals don't show vacuum line locations.

If anyone knows where the vent vacuum supply line originates or where the canister is located on a V-10 E350, I would really appreciate the information.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
jtmerritt
Senior User
jtmerritt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Usually Ford puts a vacuum distribution block on the firewall that has a main supply line connected to the intake manifold. If you follow the lines from the intake you should be able to find this block. From the block you should be able to trace the vacuum line(s) for the instrument panel and heating and A/C. There probably is a vacuum line with a Tee and a backcheck valve for the cannister. Cannister may be located in a fenderwell best identified by a vacuum line running back into it.

John

Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Leapdog
New User
Leapdog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Part description

Originally Posted by jtmerritt View Post
Usually Ford puts a vacuum distribution block on the firewall that has a main supply line connected to the intake manifold. If you follow the lines from the intake you should be able to find this block. From the block you should be able to trace the vacuum line(s) for the instrument panel and heating and A/C. There probably is a vacuum line with a Tee and a backcheck valve for the cannister. Cannister may be located in a fenderwell best identified by a vacuum line running back into it.

John
The red vacuum line that comes from the engine and connects to the black line...what is that red hose called?

Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
The reservoir you're searching for is found here:

A closer view of the impossible location:

(Visually rotate that photo ^^^ counter clockwise to get the best idea what a bad location this is.)

There's simply no way to access that reservoir with the engine installed---that might be evident from the photos. What I'm doing is buying the factory reservoir and check valve to relocate inside the cabin. I disconnect the factory connection that runs the red line (from the throttle body) to the black line (to the vacuum reservoir), usually found along the lower windshield cowl just about where the oil and trans fill tubes are located. I'll then push a suitable vacuum line through the evaporator case where one of the heater core tubes pokes though the firewall fishing it inside the cabin.

Part Numbers:

Vac Reservoir: YC2Z-19A566-AA
Check Valve : D70Z-19A563-A or Motorcraft YG-193

I find the reservoir's online (eBay, Amazon) for no more than $20 each, check valves at the dealer for just under $10 each.

Install the new reservoir and check valve according to the schematic, find the black line inside the cabin and splice the new reservoir and check valve into it.

Here's that schematic:

You're basically just relocating the factory installed reservoir to inside the cabin where its infinitely easier to access if/when needed.

I do remove the factory plastic lower dash trim and the metal knee protector plate (4 8mm headed bolts) and find a 10mm bolt holds parts of the lower dash superstructure in place. Drill out one of the mounting flanges on the reservoir, orient it so it fits snugly behind all the other dash parts and just a bit under the right side air bag. Test your air flow controls, when done replace all the dash pieces and you're good to go.

HTH