2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk problem, No customer satisfaction, now an attorney!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 PM
2004REDFX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clunk problem, No customer satisfaction, now an attorney!

I own a new 2004 F150 FX4 Supercab. It has the famous clunk problem, which has been to the dealer 4 times. They had a Ford rep come down and approve an experimental clutch pack to install as their last pitch effort. This did not fix the problem! So I decided to call the number in the owner's manual, or what I thought was "Customer Service". They have decided that since they can't fix the problem for me that it is within Ford specifications and tolerances for this truck to clunk and offer no additional help. In fact they told me to live with it! The service manager no longer wants to see my truck in his shop, that is what he said. The dealership manager, a real a--!, offered to take my truck in as "used" towards the purchase of another new truck that I drove with no clunking problem! I asked them to just buy it back and be over this mess, but no cooperation there either. I am so angry over this whole thing I will never buy a Ford again! So I have decided to go see an attorney on Monday, as I live in IL and he said over the phone we can go for the Lemon Law. Probably cost several more thousands? If anyone has any help or experience with this recently I would appreciate hearing some positive results!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, help, or advise!

Old 08-27-2004, 07:51 PM
JohnAndHisDog
Junior User
I certainly don't want to add to your anger, nor have you direct it towards me... but could you explain your approach as you tried to get your problem resolved?

I've tried different techniques through the years as Me, Customer / You, Goods Supplier with different results. I've found that going in to a place ticked off has produced minimum results but going in as a business partner has produced maximum results.

I'm not looking for a fight.

I'm just curious as to your approach.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
You might want to research the Lemon Law for your state. It will be different in each state. In Texas, once the vehicle has been in three times for the same problem, Ford would get to buy it back for the price you gave minus .365 cents per mile that you drove the vehicle. I have a Lemon SCrew and for me it is much cheaper to put enough miles on it to equal the average mileage for an 04 Supercrew and trade it. It won't take me long as I usually put 5,000 miles a month on my rig so next month, my 4 month old truck will belong to some other fool. One of the guys here from Colorado got 100% of his money back so check out your states Lemon Laws- you might get lucky.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 PM
FOADTUFF
New User
Originally Posted by 2004REDFX4
I own a new 2004 F150 FX4 Supercab. It has the famous clunk problem, which has been to the dealer 4 times. They had a Ford rep come down and approve an experimental clutch pack to install as their last pitch effort. This did not fix the problem! So I decided to call the number in the owner's manual, or what I thought was "Customer Service". They have decided that since they can't fix the problem for me that it is within Ford specifications and tolerances for this truck to clunk and offer no additional help. In fact they told me to live with it! The service manager no longer wants to see my truck in his shop, that is what he said. The dealership manager, a real a--!, offered to take my truck in as "used" towards the purchase of another new truck that I drove with no clunking problem! I asked them to just buy it back and be over this mess, but no cooperation there either. I am so angry over this whole thing I will never buy a Ford again! So I have decided to go see an attorney on Monday, as I live in IL and he said over the phone we can go for the Lemon Law. Probably cost several more thousands? If anyone has any help or experience with this recently I would appreciate hearing some positive results!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, help, or advise!
Hi 2004REDFX4,

I completely understand and indentify with your frustration. I have had my 2004 FX4 for only about a month and a half now and I have had numerous problems. One of my good friends says I should put some Power Stroke emblems on it becuase it literally sounds like a diesel....I don't find too much humor his comments since gasoline enignes are typically quite. I'll tell you the process I'm going to attempt to go through, it's called the Dispute Settlement Board, and the information is actually in your owners manual under the customer service section. The Dispute Settlement Board is a third party entity that holds Ford Motor Company and/or the Dealership reponsible if they are found liable. Furthermore, whatever resolution they arrive at is binding for Ford Motor Company and/or the Dealership, but, not binding for the consumer. So, if you are not happy with their solution, you can still pursue other avenues such as a lemon law case. I will tell you that I personally know some one who bought a Lincoln LS that was a P.O.S and the D.S.B. ruled that Ford give him a new car or refund his money, which he opted for the money. Just hang in there man, it will work out, and if things with the D.S.B. start to go in the right direction with my case I'll be glad to pass on what I learn from it....I'm just getting started with it right now though, so I have a long road ahead. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:17 PM
jra
Freshman User
When does the truck "clunk"? Are there any other problems associated with the "clunk" or is it just the sound that is bothering you?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:29 PM
TeamG
New User
I just took my brand new Excursion in today to have the clunk in the rear looked at. Said they couldnt tell because they couldnt duplicate. So... now on to the service manager and I dont know what else. I would be very interested in hearing from you, please keep us posted.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:14 AM
greenroses
Senior User
I've got the clunk, too. Here's my next step...

Dispute Settlement Board
P.O. Box 5120 Southfield, MI 48086-5120

1-800-392-3673

Ask for a DSB application.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:48 PM
scottb1014
Senior User
I just got mine back today - for the clunk. They replaced my drive shaft and clutch packs. Works good now.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:48 PM
04SilverSCFX4
Senior User
Here's a link you should look into, it's the Illinois atty general's office. http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.g.../lemonlaw.html

Old 08-29-2004, 07:24 AM
ford_cowgirl_2004
New User
hi i just got my dealer to buy back my ford f 150 super. It is hard to get them to buy it back but if the problem puts your life in danger then they do work with you better. my brakes failed and i ended up almost in the ditch. then it would die in the middle of intersections. it also had so many other problems like with the rear end howling. it sounded like a truck with 200 thousands miles on it! i had 9 thousand miles when they bought it back. they let me pick what truck i wanted and i did get a different color and no moon roof i had so much problems with it. So i got nicer wheels instead. i will say my dealer worked with me in every way they could i am happy with the results i have about 200 miles on this truck and so far so good. there is going to be a recall in the ford rear ends soon. techs are working on the problem
cowgirl up!

Old 09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
2004REDFX4
New User
Well guys, here is the update! The Ford rep/engineer came down today and drove my truck. He only wanted to drive it in an empty parking lot and not for a long drive around town. Anyway, he felt it clunk twice and said he would not "red flag" it as it was not severe enough for him. Then when we returned to the dealer to consult with the Servce Manager, he denied feeling the clunks at all. He told the Service Manager the truck was operating with normal conditions, and that he was sorry he could do nothing for me. I asked the rep/engineer to go drive another truck, any one of the three other trucks I tested, of the same model that I had driven that did not clunk and he said he would not! So in closing he told me to file a complaint with the DSB and they would contact him and he would tell them it was normal. Therefore since they can't fix these trucks, they are calling them all normal operations and no one has a chance of beating them as long as they deem it normal conditions. I am sorry to say it but Ford customer service sucks!!! You can't even go higher up to get the help you deserve.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
ford_cowgirl_2004
New User
file a complaint here for your 2004 ford

Hey don't give up i was lucky and had a good dealer! go here and file http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral....s/lemonlaw.html they will help you.
good luck
cowgirlup

Old 09-01-2004, 08:05 PM
2004REDFX4
New User
Link not working. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2004, 09:43 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 PM
MX2004
Senior User
2004REDFX4, I feel for you man, it must be the dealership that sucks. How many Ford dealerships do you have in your area? Here we have a lot and a lot like to compete for customers loyalty.. theirs this one that gives free tired for life. Honestly I haven't had experience with the service dept with my dealership but I've heard good pretty good things about it. Actually my girlfriend (who has a Ford Taurus) got in a fender bender with the wife of the dealship owner and was nice enough to fix her car, no hassle. She was very helpful.

I've read a lot of people's thread's here and I think it's better to go through the DSB rather than the lemon law. Just make sure you document everything they tell you and everything that happens.

Quick Reply: Clunk problem, No customer satisfaction, now an attorney!