Ford Racing 351w for FE360?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 AM
jcawthra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing 351w for FE360?

I've got a '73 F100 2wd with a tired 360 and C6 tranny. I can't rebuild the 360 due to a combination of time, space, and knowledge. I've heard the FE experts are few and far between these days making it difficult to find someone to rebuild it right and rebuild it well. I was wondering how easy the 351w crate swap option would be to do it myself? Is it just a matter of relocating motor mounts or does it go much deeper than that? Will it match-up with the C6?

The crate motor I'm considering is the 360hp/400lb-ft version from Ford Racing. That may change to a more stock version (250hp) since my eyes are much bigger than my wallet at this time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

PS - If anyone knows of a good FE mechanic in the Seattle area, I'd appreciate a referral.

Jason

Old 08-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jason, welcome aboard!

Puting that 351w in the engine bay is close to just relocating the mounts. You would of course like to find a small block powered truck from 73-79, then you can use the motor stands and bolt them to your frame with a set of new motor mounts. You will however need a new tranny or trans case as the bolt patterns are different. Another thing on the possible need list will be a drive line adjustment as I believe the motor locations will vary by engine family.

Check in with the crew on the FE forum, there are plenty there with rebuilder resources in the NW.

Just a few $.02, --Mike

Old 08-19-2004, 02:13 PM
jcawthra
New User
Having to replace the tranny and shorten/lengthen the driveline is a definite drawback. Maybe I should have asked this before: are there any retailers out there that offer quality HiPo or stock 360/390 crate motors? I know you can get a remanufactured long-block but I've heard horror stories about the quality of some of those motors.

Jason

Old 08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
jcawthra
New User
Mike,

By the way, thanks for the welcome. This is a pretty cool forum. Substantial as well. Glad I found it!

Jason

Old 08-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the crate motors I have seen are from performance engine shops. How much do you want to spend and what are your intentions with the truck. That will play largely on your options. How much of the work you wish to do will also weigh againt your wallet.

--Mike