Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Who Owns Whom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:53 PM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point Infinitiman I can't believe I forgot Bugatti in this. I used to frequent www.supercars.net and the Veyron was quite a spectacle. One other thing I was curious about is AMC... who can forget the AMX and Gremlin(merthmobile on waynes world).

Last edited by DieselDonor7.3; 08-20-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
It is hard to keep all this straight, I hope someone posts the net results once it's all hashed out here. AMC was bought outright by Chrysler, ca. 1989, cutting loose Renault from some kind of alliance they had to market each other's cars. ith that purchase Chrysler got Jeep.

RF

Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 PM
fredjeep
Freshman User
AM General is not a division of or owned by General Motors. AM General was American Motors Corporation's (by way of Kaiser and ******-Overland) military, government and industrial ......vehicle arm. (Remember the old DJ-5 mail Jeeps?) In 1979 AM General began to develop the replacement for it's M-151 MUTT, a Jeep-like truck the military was using in the 60s, 70s and 80s. That truck of course eventually became the HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled ......Vehicle) or Humvee. When AMC got into ......financial trouble it sold it's interest to LTV in 1983, who eventually sold it to current owner The Renco Group in 1992. GM began a joint venture to market Hummers for AM General in 1999. GM owns the Hummer name, markets and distributes the Hummer utilizing it's vast dealer networks.

The 7-slot grille that is Jeep's trade mark is on the Hummer due to fact that during the Humvee's development, Jeep was a part of AMC. DiamlerChrysler has sued GM for copyright infringement. Since GM now owns the Hummer name and is still putting the 7-slot grille on Hummers. The case is still in the courts.

fredjeep

Last edited by fredjeep; 08-20-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:29 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
Sorry, but Hummer IS SO owned by GM.

Exclusive First Look: 2003 GM Hummer H2 SUT

By Editors of Motor Trend
Motor Trend, January 2001

<!--begin paragraph-->Derived from the production-intent 2003 GM Hummer H2, the H2 SUT (sport/utility truck) concept vehicle is a serious machine. More refined and finished than its military ancestor in every way, this H2 SUT concept vehicle is every inch a Hummer, albeit more civilized. It blends a superior off-road capability and versatile rear cargo bed with an adjustable bulkhead and a handsome, no-nonsense interior of polished metal, leather and fabric, and state-of-the-art telematics.

<!--end paragraph-->

<!--startclickprintexclude-->
advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 01:17 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...utos-85672.htm
Another link saying that GM owns Hummer. Not trying to start an argument or anything, just wondering who really owns Hummer now. If not for the Chevy power, I'd like them. That Studebaker owns, it's a lot like a Hummer with a PSD in it, from what I heard.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:21 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordLariat
http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...utos-85672.htm
Another link saying that GM owns Hummer. Not trying to start an argument or anything, just wondering who really owns Hummer now. If not for the Chevy power, I'd like them. That Studebaker owns, it's a lot like a Hummer with a PSD in it, from what I heard.
GM bought the rights to the name. AM still makes the real hummer. The H2 is a joke in my opinion but a lot of people are taken with them. Its a tahoe frame. It has nothing to do with the real hummer other than looks. Like the new beetle. AM only sells about 800 hummers a year. GM will probably sell more than 40k of that cheap knockoff. They are still seperate entities. But GM can market its gimmick truck as a hummer.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:12 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
General Motors bought out the Hummer Design!

As the price of oil drops, truck sales skyrocket. General Motors has been struggling to improve their market with males under the age of thirty while Ford, soon to release a vehicle larger than the prized suburban, is poised to compete on the large sport utility market. General Motors is now more than ever feeling the heat to compete with the other Detroit manufacturers in the ever-growing sport utility market. That’s why GM wants the Hummer. On June 30’th 1999 the General Motors Corporation stated that it plans to acquire the rights to market and distribute the Hummer and expand the vehicle into the sport utility market. With a final agreement, Hummers will continue to be made in Mishawaka Indiana with no immediate changes in retailer dealer arrangements. GM plans to sell the Hummer through 52 dealerships in North America and eventually through its own dealer network. AM General would retain the rights to market and distribute the HMMWV for military use. Partnerships between GM and AM General are starting to get warm. Recently, AM General purchased the license to produce the GM 6.5 liter diesel engine for the Hummer. "Few brands in the last ten years have made the impact and created the kind of focused marketing excitement as Hummer," stated Ron Zarella, president of General Motors North America. "No one else owns that market now and no one but Hummer can build it,"

Steve I need to delete a large portion of this post it screwed up the thread.
In the future, please use a link. Please do not cut and paste with that many graphics and other links embedded in it.

You support is appreciated.
Tim

Last edited by stevef100s; 08-21-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
The list

OK so I’ll take a crack at compiling this then:

Autovaz Lada-independent
Avanti, Studebaker XUV-independent
BMW, Mini, Rolls Royce
Citroen and Peugot together
Daimler-Chrysler own Plymouth, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Eagle, Mercedes (Plymouth and Eagle no longer producing vehicles) Western Star,Freightliner and Sterling lines of trucks. Maybach is Mercedes uber-luxury line.
deTomaso-independent
Fiat own Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia, Autobianchi. Ferrari has a little bit of autonomy from Fiat. Around 20% of Fiat is owned by GM.
Ford is Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Mazda, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Lotus, Land Rover. Ford only owns 33.4% of Mazda
GM owns the Hummer name, and Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, Saturn (Isuzu?), plus Opel, Vauxhall and Holden, plus in bed with Fiat, Fugi Heavy Industries and Suzuki. Daewoo was bought by GM. The Chevy Aveo is built in Korea in Daewoo's old plant. GM and Isuzu partially split the sheets. GM gets 60% of dmax ltd and some other little diesels that Isuzu designed.

Honda
, Acura
Hyundai and Kia are the same company.
Paccar-In the US has Kenworth and Peterbilt as brandnames, and in Europe owns DAF, Foden and Leyland Trucks.
Pagani -independent
Panoz –independent
Porsche -Independent but close ties with VW.
Renault and Nissan own each other.Datsun, Infiniti. Renault owns Mack truck and Samsung motors. Datsun didn't go out of business; it just changed its name to Nissan in 1983.
The Renco Group owns AM Generalwhich builds the real Hummer

Rover
(not Land Rover) independent
Shelby
-independent but close ties to Ford
Subaru (GM only owns 20%)Saab, partly owned by GM, shares some platforms with Subaru.
Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino
TVR -independent
Volkswagen
, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley,Bugatti, Seat and Skoda
Volvo Trucks
-independent

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 08-21-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:17 PM
fredjeep
Freshman User
GM only owns the name and marketing rights to Hummer. In 1999 AM General and GM signed a joint venture agreement to design and build consumer versions of AM General's Hummers. AM General got funding, engineering and distribution, GM got the Hummer name and a "Halo" 4x4 nameplate. That is why the H2 is built on the Tahoe/Suburban frame and use GM drivelines, chassis and other hardware. The Humvee, Hummer H1 and Hummer H2 are manufactured in AM General's plants (the Humvee and H1 at 13200 McKinley Highway and the H2 at 12900 McKinley Highway) in Mishawaka, IN by AM General, L.L.C., a wholly owned subsidary The Renco Group Inc of New York City. A large holding company. http://www.hoovers.com/renco/--ID__40389--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml
Go here for the history of the Hummer: http://www.amgeneral.com/corporate_history.php

The Renco Group also owns a company called General Engine Products (GEP) of Franklin, OH to manufacture a licensed version of General Motors 6.5L diesel. This is the motor AM General puts in the Humvee and H1. IMHO-Probably why you cannot get the Duramax in any of the Hummers.

General Motors merely markets and distributes the Hummers.

I am new here to the FTE Family so I do not want to ruffle any feathers of the old salts. Let me just say, I do not say much, but I rarely state facts that I have not researched first. It took me 3 hours to research all the info in my last post!

Last edited by fredjeep; 08-22-2004 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Great job Fred
so is there anything wrong then with these statements

GM owns the Hummer name
and
The Renco Group owns AM Generalwhich builds the real Hummer
?
or am I missing something

Old 08-22-2004, 09:51 PM
fredjeep
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Thanks Ringo! I think that is the long and short of it.

AM General builds the Humvee, H1, H2 and H2 SUT. AM General sells the Humvee, GM sells the H1, H2 and H2 SUT.

My fingers are tired and my head hurts! I am going to bed!

Old 08-22-2004, 09:54 PM
fredjeep
Freshman User

Last edited by fredjeep; 08-22-2004 at 09:59 PM. Reason: deleting a duplicate post
Old 08-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
This quote says it all.
The skeptical part of our brain wonders how GM and AM General will convince buyers to cough up an estimated $45,000 for what is effectively a beefed-up Tahoe
Am general only builds about 800 hummers a year for the public market. Im suprised that they have the capacity to build 45000 h2s also. I see they bought the rights to the 6.5. Im surprised they didnt go after the dmax. Thats a better choice in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:08 AM
69SWB3004X4
Senior User
In 1953, Kaiser took over ******-Overland, the company that made the first Jeeps.

In 1954, AMC was created as a result of the merger of two American independent car companies: Nash and Hudson.

In 1970, AMC took over Kaiser-Jeep.

In 1980, Renault bought a large portion of the AMC company and assumed control.

In 1987, Chrysler acquired AMC from Renault, with Jeep being the only real prize.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:20 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Wasn't D.C. comics somehow affiliated with the Jeep ****** or the GPV pre-jeep?