Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:57 AM
fredjeep
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Y'all,

Honda just announced the official name of the truck. Earlier in the thread I called it the Havasu, that is not correct. The official name is Ridgeline.

The engine will be the same 255hp 3.5L VTEC V6 that is in the Pilot.

Fred

Old 11-23-2004, 11:22 AM
ohioclint
Senior User
ties

The latest GM/Honda pairup is the supply of engines for the Saturn Vue Redline version... Honda powered.

The actually Ridgeline is not as ugly as the concept... I promise.

Clint

Old 11-23-2004, 11:43 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigF350
...To put it simplely.
If Ford were to release a small 2 door 4 seat car with a 1.2l engine that sounded like a fart in a fishtank and was made in South East Asia somewhere,...
Ford already did. It was called the Festiva. Or was it the Aspire?

Old 11-23-2004, 12:05 PM
ohioclint
Senior User
ford

That was a made by Kia I think. Gotta get your MPG average up some how.

Clint

Old 11-23-2004, 12:36 PM
'961506
Elder User
Honda wont be making a truck anytime soon. I say this because, by my defintion, I wouldnt call a Sport Trac a truck either. Im not trying to downtalk anyhting, but for me, a real truck should have solid axles(if 4X4), shouldnt have leather, is made for work, no entertainment system. C'mon, if you want this just buy a minivan or SUV, those are things that just arent right in a truck.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:06 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Not for me, but I do agree that the Sport Trac is not a truck. My truck has IFS and leather and is fully loaded, but don't let it fool you, it's all truck. I think that if you have a bed and you can throw a couple thousand pounds in it and strap on a tow dolly with a truck the same size as yours or better, well, then you've got a truck. I don't see very many coal mines using the new Honda to haul parts to and from each other, especially in the nasty weather conditions we get in southwestern Virginia.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselDonor7.3
As for affecting the Big 3 I don't think it would matter a whole lot. The Toyota Tunda is the best foreign rival thus far but I don't think it has affected Big 3 sales severely. They just need to bring the old Land Cruiser diesel engine back new and improved for that bad chicken. Or maybe get a contract to use someone elses diesel? I like the looks of the Jeep Liberty diesel they are borrowing from Mercedes but they are subsidiaries so no need for a contract there.
The Tundra? Uh no, it use to be. The Titan is now the best by far.

But about Honda, Honda will never build a real truck, so I wouldn't worry about them.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by FERacing66
I dont know why the japanese manufucurs wont step up and make a large-full size truck. Toyota and nissian come out with these almost not quite fullsize pickups, and who do you see drive them? not famers that need them for work, there just used to get to the groceriy store and to the office. The people that work there trucks have chevys and Fords cause they can make real trucks that last. Well at least Ford can not so sure about chevy.
Sorry but if you look at the specs, the Titan is larger than any pickup in its class. It is a real full-size.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Do you have the sales figures for the Titan?

Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Titan_TX
But about Honda, Honda will never build a real truck, so I wouldn't worry about them.
I feel the same about Nissan.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordLariat
I feel the same about Nissan.
Now thats where your biased attitude comes in. Be open like most of the people here. We know Nissan makes a full-size pickup. No denying that. Toyota has tried, and the Tundra CC is the only one that fits that bill.

When I buy a car, I do a lot of research. I was about to sign papers on the new F150 till I drove the Titan. I reviewed it that night, and I now own one. It had that util system that I needed. I needed the big engine in the Ford, but the Nissan came with one better that was standard. I needed the interior space of the CC of either of the trucks. The ford personally at least the Lariat ones the seats were too hard and not that comfortable, so that was a turn off. But the Ford had the best interior in its class. I loved the way both of them drove, except for the sloppyness of the Ford suspension when going over certain bumps. But I wanted a Ford because everyone I knew told me to get the new one and I liked it. Brand Loyalty owns. But after I got the Titan, they all like it over the new F150 for some reason even though they recommended the F150. Go figure.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Armada
Senior User

Tundra has sold about 83,000 units year to date. Titan about 70,000. So Titan is still behind in sales to Tundra, and neither approaches F-150. But together, they already are making an impact on the domestic market. 150,000 trucks might not be significant to Ford, given the volume of the F-150, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

BTW, Tundra is still 7/8 size.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
ohioclint
Senior User
Yardstick or ruler

Not sure sales makes a real truck, anyways.

BTW, Tundra is still 7/8 size.[/QUOTE]
So since the 05 Tundra CC has a larger wheelbase(2"), its overall length is larger(6.1"), its wider(.8"), and has 4" more ground clearance than an 05 F-150 it is still 7/8 size?

Clint

Old 11-24-2004, 08:20 AM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
How is the Titan the best by far?? It only uses a Dana 44 rearend, Ford has a 9.75" rearend compared to Titan(ic)'s 8.5". The Titan(ic) has a weaker frame, thinner sheet metal. The Titan(ic) is just another soccer mom mobile. I don't see how its any more of a truck?? It'll never see the mud of a construction site or the gullies of a farm. However I guarantee it will see the back of a farm when it gets parked for good when that soccer mom no longer can stand the poor mileage and its wore out.

I mean take a look around--see how many old Fords you see on the road--tons of 67-79 vintage trucks--in original condition unrestored--still running fine and working hard every day. I don't see any Nissans that old running around. The best reason to buy a new Ford, is an old one.

What cracked me up the other week is a kid at college was driving a little Datsun pickup and he had taken the Datsun emblems off and put Nissan Titan emblems on. Too bad the chrome didnt go well with the rust.

Last edited by MW95F250; 11-24-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Titan has a weaker frame? Where you get that line of BS? I am sorry but I won't waste my time on someone who has no clue what he is talking about. I will let the other here like Armada take care of you. FYI the Titan frame is just as strong as any of the competition, actually stronger because its a ladder frame. I see more Nissan hardbody pickups than I see old Fords. That must say some.

EOD

Originally Posted by MW95F250
How is the Titan the best by far?? It only uses a Dana 44 rearend, Ford has a 9.75" rearend compared to Titan(ic)'s 8.5". The Titan(ic) has a weaker frame, thinner sheet metal. The Titan(ic) is just another soccer mom mobile. I don't see how its any more of a truck?? It'll never see the mud of a construction site or the gullies of a farm. However I guarantee it will see the back of a farm when it gets parked for good when that soccer mom no longer can stand the poor mileage and its wore out.

I mean take a look around--see how many old Fords you see on the road--tons of 67-79 vintage trucks--in original condition unrestored--still running fine and working hard every day. I don't see any Nissans that old running around. The best reason to buy a new Ford, is an old one.

What cracked me up the other week is a kid at college was driving a little Datsun pickup and he had taken the Datsun emblems off and put Nissan Titan emblems on. Too bad the chrome didnt go well with the rust.

Quick Reply: Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?