Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 02:23 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know why the japanese manufucurs wont step up and make a large-full size truck. Toyota and nissian come out with these almost not quite fullsize pickups, and who do you see drive them? not famers that need them for work, there just used to get to the groceriy store and to the office. The people that work there trucks have chevys and Fords cause they can make real trucks that last. Well at least Ford can not so sure about chevy.

Old 08-21-2004, 07:08 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
"Ugh" is a very old word -- we get it from the Vikings, and first used it in English as "ugh-some" -- isn't that splendid? "Ug-ly" means the same thing; "Ly" means "like" -- "ugh-like,” In Viking, the word is "uggligr" -- now we have a name for that truck!
Or in English Butt Uggligr

Old 08-21-2004, 08:57 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I had read a while back that Honda was working with GM on that project.

But what really gets me is that, Honda has made ATV's, Jetskis, Boat engines, and Lawnmowers for years--all stuff that screams "I need a truck!", but they never built one--heck they even built utility tractors--but still no truck.

To me it was no biggie that Ford built trucks and tractors--up until recently--they both go hand in hand. Most farmers who had a Ford tractor--own a Ford truck as well. Even the Chevy & Dodge guys have Ford tractors. Ford tractors are good utility/workhorse tractors--very economical to operate and maintain.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
rixprather
New User
Honda makes a lot of pickups.....they are called Isuzus. They have owned them for years now and Honda has been rebadging them. To go even further, GM used to own a controlling interest in them at one point before Honda bought them. Anyway, they do have the expertise to built a solid truck they just need to step it up to a full size like Nissan did.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:01 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rixprather
Honda makes a lot of pickups.....they are called Isuzus. They have owned them for years now and Honda has been rebadging them. To go even further, GM used to own a controlling interest in them at one point before Honda bought them. Anyway, they do have the expertise to built a solid truck they just need to step it up to a full size like Nissan did.
Honda doesn't make Izusus. The only thing they share is the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport SUV, which are actually Isuzu engines/drivelines if I remember correctly.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:11 PM
tadcar
New User
Originally Posted by Smaug
Honda is coming out w/ a 4 dr that will be in the same class as the Sport Trac. Here's a pic

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/e...3/img/hondasut
Honda (SNIP)

Refrain form that type of language here...Tim L

Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Caplax40
Elder User
I actually took a couple of pictures of the SUT concept that was in Honda's booth at the US Grand Prix this past June. Would anyone be interested in seeing it? If so, what's the best way to post/host it?

Old 09-03-2004, 03:03 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rixprather
Uh, no.

I owned an Isuzu Pickup (a 93 model) before I got my 94 Ranger....made in Lafayette, Indiana (quite a foreign place, that ol' Indiana :shudder at that SIA plant. Of course, if you think the door jamb tag is lying, of all things, you win.

Isuzu bought back most of its stake that GM did have in them and is supposedly going to source a diesel for the HD Toyota trucks (and, yes, the Duramax is GMs toy now). No offense, but if that happens and I actually think of buying something with OBD2 or worse in it, I would think about that truck.

Other than that, Isuzu is pretty much dead.

Oh yeah, the important thing: That Honda truck will sell. Unless gas prices take a tremendous drop and those bigger suvs and trucks become less costly to operate again....

"I dont know why the japanese manufucurs wont step up and make a large-full size truck. Toyota and nissian come out with these almost not quite fullsize pickups, and who do you see drive them? not famers that need them for work, there just used to get to the groceriy store and to the office."

Darn. I guess since I am not a farmer, I'll give my Ranger back and find some crumple-zoned POS to drive with a sideways engine in it. Freedom of choice, I guess....

Old 09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
KC8QMU
Junior User
From what I understand the new Chevy Colorado is more asian than American, I believe it was developed in China and brought here. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Honda pickup in the near future, but it will probably be ugly as hell and have very little torque.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Caplax40
Elder User
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979
Darn. I guess since I am not a farmer, I'll give my Ranger back and find some crumple-zoned POS to drive with a sideways engine in it. Freedom of choice, I guess....

Nooo! Don't trade the Ranger in for a Taurus!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Realgun
New User
Talking Honda truck and Nissan Truck

Originally Posted by KC8QMU
From what I understand the new Chevy Colorado is more asian than American, I believe it was developed in China and brought here. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Honda pickup in the near future, but it will probably be ugly as hell and have very little torque.
I drove the New F-150 Super cab and I loved it. Ride was nice however it seems underpowered. I drove the new Nissan and it had loadsa power but it rode just like the Older 2003 F-150.

The Nissan is a little cheaper ans is assembled here. It reall is as big ans a real Truck ie F-150 THe front end does not hang over as much and they gave you a little on the rear to compensate.

I bougt the Ford.

Have you ever driven and oddessy van? It will scare you if you put your foot in it and let it rev!

That truck would be perfect for me and the tow rating is around 4700 Lbs.
To me that is respectable in that you can pull a smaller boat or Trailer comforatably.

I read an article on the new T-100 and the guy was raging on it as having no torque. So he took it to a tuner to give it more oompf.

The tuner guy went with him and told him to not let the rpm get under 2500. He did as he was told and he thought he had a different truck. He asked the tuner how did he get more power outa the engine. He told him I did nothing just to keep up the RPMs. The Jap cars/trucks need RPMs to really shine but we are used to low end grunt.

Just goes to show you that you need to know how and why things work. Also that truck with have cylinder deactivation so it will get maybe 30 MPG unloaded and cruising on the hwy. Pretty cool.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 AM
KC8QMU
Junior User
Low torque, high RPM japanese engines are fine for a honda civic or something.

My cousin and her husband have an Odyssey van, and you're right, the get going once you get it wound up, but that is more of a car than a truck.

Engines with that little of low end torque are useless in a truck.

The "tuner" told him to not let the RPMs drop below 2500. That's nice if you don't have a big load you need to start from a dead stop, especially on a hill.

It sounds like he has the typical japanese CAR, instead of a truck.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:59 AM
Armada
Senior User
Originally Posted by KC8QMU
Low torque, high RPM japanese engines are fine for a honda civic or something.

My cousin and her husband have an Odyssey van, and you're right, the get going once you get it wound up, but that is more of a car than a truck.

Engines with that little of low end torque are useless in a truck.

The "tuner" told him to not let the RPMs drop below 2500. That's nice if you don't have a big load you need to start from a dead stop, especially on a hill.

It sounds like he has the typical japanese CAR, instead of a truck.
I don't think Honda gets the "truck" thing, and they have no experience.

But not all Japanese engines are high rpm low torque. The Nissan 5.6L V8 has been discussed here on other threads quite a bit.

I sold a '97 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4 and replaced it with a Nissan Armada in large part because of that engine - 305 bhp and 380 ft./lbs of torque, and the power curve is very flat with the torque coming in strong at low rpm. It sometimes tows an 8,000 lb. trailer when my F-250 SD 7.3 is on the road making deliveries. I wanted another Ford, but a new 3 valve 5.4L F-150 was tried on the same trailer and did not do nearly as well.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:34 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is one ugly vehicle. What a waste of perfectly good steel. Now we'll have not only the latest datsun product, but the motorcycle company creation to look at on the road .

Old 11-23-2004, 07:30 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
don't matter what it looks like, there's still people that will buy it! i mean look at the scion or the element-- just a box with wheels-- throw a surfboard or a couple of spinners on it and every kid thinks they're cool. just butt ugly

Quick Reply: Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?