Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 aftermarket intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Freakazoid!
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 aftermarket intake

I hear plenty about the Tymar and the aFe intakes, but why not the K&N FIPKs? Best I figure, it's cost more than anything, but what performs best?

Old 08-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
K&N has a great reputation with gassers, and for good reason. The reality is the TYMAR is the best value. It flows more air than you can use, filters very well, and is the least expensive, by far. Get a TYMAR, and bank the difference in price for future mods.
All the major manufacurers have tests that prove theirs is the best. The reality is that the differences in performance are so miniscule, they aren't detectable.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:20 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I'll second what Quadzilla said. If you get the Tymar you won't ever look back. It flows a lot of air and also maintains the filtration.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:30 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but why not the K&N FIPKs?
Many people believe that the K&N does not filter as well. Contaminants getting past the filter on a turbo motor can cause turbo problems. (140,000 RPM + one piece dirt).
You will find many opinions on this but I prefer TYMAR on my PSD. My Buell has a K&N though and it works well.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bodabdan
Many people believe that the K&N does not filter as well. Contaminants getting past the filter on a turbo motor can cause turbo problems. (140,000 RPM + one piece dirt).
You will find many opinions on this but I prefer TYMAR on my PSD. My Buell has a K&N though and it works well.

Bodabdan is partially correct. K&N makes a great filter, however the problem lies with the drop in filters as they along with the stock air box will leak. The after market intake such as the airaid along with the K&N who makes the airaid filter. Do very well with plenty of air flow and filtration. That being said however is that the tymar is the least expensive and bang for the buck. Most of the aftermarket intakes are great you just need to find what your wallet can handle and what you like.

Sorry Bod if I stepped on your toes that is not my point here.

Fire Rooster

Old 08-19-2004, 02:48 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No problem- You do make a good point about airbox sealing. I have heard others say filters with a gauze element can develop pinholes and the crud can get past. Maybe or maybe not, but I just put a new top end on my Buell and I have run K&N since 2000. The exhaust studs broke off in my heads and I put some rings on it while it was down, but I saw no evidence of dirt getting in the motor. (40,000 miles).
As far as the PSD is concerned, you can buy the TYMAR for not that much more than a K&N element. I think bang for the buck is the key word.