Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 PSD F250 Extended Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Heaterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 PSD F250 Extended Cab

The truck only has 25K miles on it I use it to go camping on the beaches of Cape Cod driveing over the sand. It carries a 3000 pound slide in camper. The truck seems to have enough power but I was wondering what people think of these new chips I keep hearing about. Do they make a difference? Will the extra torque hurt the auto transmission?

Also should I be using synthetic motor oil? The dealer says it will ruin the engine, make it spin a bearing or something like that he said

I love this truck Its black and looks great rolling over the sand dunes. When I first got it I took it to the beach and didnt bother airing down my tires. The tide was coming up It was after 11 at night and I had to pull it forward so the water wouldnt get it. I got it stuck and I mean stuck. I opened the door and it was pushing sand. People there said Say Good bye to your truck cause there is no way your getting it out of there. I let the tires down to about 20 pounds, out it in four low and that truck climbed out of the sand with a 3000 pound camper on its back like it was a tank I actually saw a cpl trucks get swamped at the beach a cpl weeks ago from a really high tide. They got stuck and couldnt climb out. They were both Chevy's One was trying to pull out the other and they both got wet.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
whphel
Freshman User
I dont know anything about chips. I have the same year and style as yours and Ive been looking into them as well.

I just wanted to say "great story" I would have thought you were doomed in the sand as well. My wife is from the Oregon coast and Ive heard stories about people not being able to get out of the sand and having their trucks swallowed up by the sand. I think that you realy lucked out on that one . Glad you were able to save your truck.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Heaterman
Senior User
If I wasnt so scared I would have made my wife take pictures

Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
You were right to be scared, I came across a buried car after the high tide on Ocean Shores, WA and was looking at the roof of the car barely sticking out of the sand. It was a surpise to see how completly the car sank into the sand. (It wasn't mine!)

Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 AM
bravwolf
Freshman User
My truck's the same too. I have 60K on it. Don't know anything about chips I went with the predator and love it but make sure you have gauges with eather one . I feel the pyro is the most inportent cause it shore can heat up fast.

Last edited by bravwolf; 08-18-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 AM
01f350
Senior User
You will definitely notice a difference in performance with a chip or programmer. Even with my truck set on the SCMT 70 hp setting I noticed a big difference from stock.

Yes it is possible the extra torque will hurt the trans, especially if you drive your truck hard or tow with it. These transmissions are not that good and are prone to failure. I have a feeling my is on its last leg right now.

If you do get a chip or programmer make sure you get gauges.

D*mn good thing you got out of the sand. I was going to drive on the beach in NC on my vacation. Gald to hear these trucks can manuver around out there. I thought there heavy weight might be a dissadvantage.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Heaterman
Senior User
The truck dosnt even breathe heavy when driving over the sand. I think I have some pics of the beach full of campers I will look and post one if I can find it