Extang Toneau - Experiences / Recommend? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Aftermarket Products
Reload this Page >

Extang Toneau - Experiences / Recommend?

Notices

Old 08-17-2004, 12:38 PM
ethomps
Junior User
ethomps is starting off with a positive reputation.

I am considering a BlackMax or Classic Platinum Extang Tonneau cover for my 77 F150 Shortbox.

I'm interested in how well they work in cold winters? In heavy rain?

I'd like to be able to haul misc. remodeling items in the back in the winter.

How well do they repel rain? keep the bed dry? work with snow?, etc.

Any recommendations / experiences would be appreciated.

Also, would you recommend the BlackMax over the Classic Platinum, etc.

Thanks all.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I LUV WI
Freshman User
I LUV WI is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Black Max and like it. Been on my truck for 3 years. I live in WI and have never had a problem using it in the winter, just turn the snaps around to make up for the shinkage from the cold. My only complaint is that I didn't see any increase in gas mileage with it.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:22 AM
beartracks
Postmaster
beartracks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I dont recall the model Extang I have but it has the snaps and they do get tight in cold weather. As mentioned you can turn them around for more clearance. My only real complaint is the silver color of mine has blead a brown stain all over it over time. Never had that problem with black.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:44 AM
JohnAndHisDog
Junior User
JohnAndHisDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Black Max on my truck and like the style. The Extang has a slight convex (bowed-up) look to it as opposed to other manufacturers that are more flat.

The install is really easy. Two mistakes I made on the initial install were:
A). I didn't realize that two of the clips were different sizes. That slowed the install process down until I read the directions. If (when) I need to remove the entire top to haul a larger item I'll 'mark' the clips.
B). The clearance between the front rail and cab was so tight that I could not snap on the cover with rails in place and clamped down. I had to snap on the front part of the cover and then place the rails in position and tighten the clamps.

The cover has kept the entire bed dry even with heavy Houston rains when the truck has been in motion. When the truck is parked and a heavy rain hits I've noticed the first six to eight inches of the bed from the tailgate were wet.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:41 PM
unixgeek13
New User
unixgeek13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure of the model of my Extang... it's on a '03 F150 Supercrew. Where the bed meets the cab, I have no snaps, that whole edge slides into the assembly. I have found slight moisture after rains, but not standing water. I treat the cover every few months with a water repellant leather conditioner. Even on my short bed, this has three support rails keeping it sitting high and tight. Looks good and hasn't given me any trouble (unless you count trying to resnap it on a wintery, rainy night!).

Most snow I've have on it was 14 inches of standing snow after a storm. Be careful pushing snow off the cover... wouldn't want to rip it!

My two cents worth....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.