Computer Chips & Tuners  

3 Stage Diablo Delta chip, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 PM
casca2063
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 3 Stage Diablo Delta chip, need advice

I'm getting ready to order my chip but have a few lingering questions that I have not been able to resolve. I've checked back through several weeks of posts but could not find the answers I was looking for.

First, I have found several post that talk about high idle rates (1000 rpm) after installing the chip but did not see anything about how long I should expect this to last. Also is there anything I can do to push through this process? City driving, lots of stopping and starting?

Second, from time to time I tow a trailer as well as haul heavy loads in the bed. Not at the same time. As well as some weekend off roading. Of the 3 options on the Delta chip,
1=stock
2=performance
3=87 Octane (yea I'm cheep, hate paying $60.00 to fill up on 93 octane)
which setting is the best for each applacation. Keep in mind I am a weekend warrior like most guys and 98% of my driving is around town.

Anyone out there have any ideas????

Old 08-22-2004, 12:21 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1. High idle rates don't always happen. Its a crap-shoot, because Ford's relearn their idle after being reset. Just drive normally if it happens --- it may learn it with in a few miles or a 100 miles, just depends on the individual vehicle.

2. 87 octane mainly help with shifting. The power gains won't be enough to really be worth it for towing. Stock is exactly what you have now, and is on all 2 and 3 stage Diablo chips. The premium fuel tune will be the best bet for towing or any load in the bed.

Or we can do a 5 stage Superchips Custom tune for several octain ratings and uses.

Old 08-22-2004, 06:35 AM
casca2063
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the answers.

Since I have 2 gas tanks it looks like I'll fill one with 87 octane and use it for driving around town. I look forward to the improved shifting, i've always hated the sluggish shifting right from the factory.
I'll fill the second tank with the 93-94 octane gas and use the performance setting for all my weekend warrior stuff.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Most people aren't lucky enough to have that option!