Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Tranny fluid as power steering substitute?

Old 08-11-2004, 05:53 AM
razor_jim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny fluid as power steering substitute?

Recently I was told by my uncle who owns an Aerostar like mine ('89) that the Aerostar doesn't work well with regular power steering fluid, but that it needs Type 4 transmission fluid instead. Is there any truth to this? It sounds like a good idea but I don't wanna do something that could cripple my van.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:38 AM
GoneFishen
Junior User
I posted on this a while back. One manual says use premium ps fluid, another says mercon, another says type F. I'm currently using Type F, as I replaced the PS pump and the manufacturer says use Type F. However, others said they're using Mercon, and one replied he was using Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.

When I get around to it I'm switching to Mobile 1, pump is still too noisy.

John

Old 08-11-2004, 11:18 AM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
I don't use Mercon in any of my Ford's Power-steering..Because the two that I did started leaking out the fluid. They never had a problem until I did.
So I only use Type-F now.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
DigitaLink
Freshman User
Is it just me, or does almost EVERY Aerostar on the planet have a loud, whining, squealing power steering pump? I've yet to see one that doesn't whine while the wheel is turning. That's gotta be a defect!! (Or is it a feature? Audible wheel turn indicator? I've spent too many years with Windows ...)

Old 08-11-2004, 07:13 PM
doman24
Junior User
all of them make noise when your turning the wheel ....the newer ones with 4.0 less for some reason ...ATF is just fine for power steering i use it all the time no problems ...

Old 08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
PICKUP6772
Freshman User
Digitalink, it's fords in general. my wife's aero needs one, my crown vic just had one, and all of the ford busses(e-350's,and 450's) have had at least one replaced at one time or another where i work. let me rephrase that: all post-92's have had them. The 91's and earlier use saginaw pumps, and we have never had to replace one.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:59 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
my 91 and 95 sounded exactly alike. reeeer roarrrrrrr, with kind of a swishing sound mixed in. like a washing machine when its agitating.

the 91 didnt go out in the 2 years I had it, and my 95 hasnt gone out in the 6 months that we've had it.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:49 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
I swapped the power steering pump (with a slightly used one) and flushed out the power steering system in my 95 Aerostar last summer. Since I had lots of new Dexron III left over from the transmission fluid change, I used that. The rack promptly started leaking badly at the steering shaft, the steering got jerky at low speeds, and it started a gawdawful moaning noise under load.

I did this just before a one week vacation to New Brunswick (I live near Toronto, Ontario). During that vacation I think I added about 2 quarts of fluid to the system.

When I got home I sucked out the remaining fluid with a turkey baster and topped it up with Valvoline power steering fluid (actually I did this about 6 times with the van running between fluid exchanges). The moaning stopped, the leaking became barely noticeable, and the jerkiness disappeared. The van had about 250,000 km at the time (155,000 miles).

It now has 275,000 km (170,000 miles). I may add a couple of ounces of fluid when I change the oil, but a little jerkiness has returned, but the rack is still the original one in the van. I won't use ATF in a power steering system again.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 08-16-2004, 07:58 PM
aerovan
Senior User
but isn't type F atf fluid that is specified for our power steering?

Old 08-31-2004, 10:35 PM
TimGrimes
Junior User
I just added a small portion of Lucas Power Steering additive to my 95 Aerostar's reservoir. Shazam, the Reeee-orrrrr! Reeee-Orrrrr! PS turning noise went away. I added maybe 2 or 3 onces max. Interesting. Actually, unbelievable. I think this stuff costs about $5. I'll let you know if anything bad occurs. So far, so good. 3 days ago. No leak either. Also good. Tim

Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 PM
RichS
Junior User
I know that Aerostars had whiny ps pumps as I used to have a 92 3.0. I also had a bad rack as I ended replacing it 3 times. I was told to use regular ps fluid by a friend that was a mechanic. But on my 89 Tempo, my ps pump started making noise so I had some Amsoil synthetic ATF so I added that to the resovoir. The noise went away. That was 3 years ago and it hasn't leaked either. It worked for me, even at -45 below here in Alaska. And sorry for advertising Amsoil. I check out the Oil and Lube forum quite often. It is very informative. I would go ahead and use a synthetic ATF or ps fluid.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:52 AM
tomucen
Senior User
I have never seen powersteering fluid in the parts stores here. Maybe Ford sells it but I never go there - too expensive.
Anyway, I had the same problem with Dexron III like Eric. Not only the power steering didn't like it but also the tranny spit it out. I use Dexron II fluid for both tranny and power steering and both are happy. My power steering makes a humming noise but no other problems.

Tom
1993 3.0 Ext. 105Kmls
Sins, Switzerland

Old 09-03-2004, 06:25 PM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
Fellas
My is contaminated it has a nice pink colour. I have tryed to flush it time and time again. No Go. Anyone have a way to flush the old stuff? I have never seen it like it before. I think the cap was left off, after an oil change my wife got.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhook the return line to the pump and put the hose in a 1 Liter jug. Then start engine and "Slow and Easy" turn the wheel. Keep checking the pump and fill it with fresh fluid. When the color is the same as the new stuff it's clean. I would add a filter to the line to keep the junk out too.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:27 AM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
Muffinman
I have done that already. I have gone through more than 8lts of fluid. And it's still looks like pink milk. I think, I'm going to have to strip and rebuild the pump and the rack. If I can get a rebuild kit for them. If I cannot get the kits, I buying new ones. I have worked on many cars and trucks and am a certified Aircraft Mechanic ( before I joined the Cdn Army), so I'm no dumbie about what to do. But this is stumping me. I remember in Auto shop, the old teacher would flush old racks with something. But after 25+ yrs?
Maybe someone out there has some ideas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny fluid as power steering substitute?