Notices

Self-built Bed Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Little Bro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self-built Bed Covers

I'd really like to see pix of any self-built bed covers (tonneau-type). Can't help thinking there are more innovative and useful designs (at much lower cost) than we see in the marketplace. 45 years ago, I made a plywood cover for my first vehicle, a '56 F100, that looked pretty good, and was an OK effort for a teenager. Show me what you got!

Old 05-21-2004, 03:57 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some where around here, there is a member that made a sweet one out of diamond plate. It was a beauty!

Old 05-21-2004, 10:50 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had pics of the one I built a few years ago for a friend's Ranger. I don't know how far you want to go with it ($$$), or how techincal you want it to be, but they can be quite easy. I have built two myself so far.

The first one I made was like the one you did. It was made of plywood with 2x2 bracing on the underside. Then we bought foam and vinyl and covered the entire thing to match the truck. It did not have any hinges or latches, and was held down by swivel plates with latch pins on the front and back (inside the bed) to keep it down. Took 3 of us to lift it off and put it on, but you could jump up and down on top of it...

The second one I made was for the Ranger. We took a plate of aluminum and cut it to fit around the inside of the bed. Then welded angle iron on the bottom for support. After that, we coated the entire thing in fiberglass and smoothed it out - top and bottom. After we had it primered, we put it on the bed and used angle iron strips of aluminum on all sides of the bed for it to sit on. We then mounted the hinges on the front using a piano hinge. Next installed electric hydraulic cylinders and the soleniods for raising and lowering it. Made a lock system on the tailgate, even though the controls were in the truck cab for raising/lowering it. We then lined the bottom edges with camper tape (the stuff you put on your truck for a camper to sit on) to make it water proof. After it was finally done and painted to the same color of the truck, it was pretty nice....

Don't know how far your want to go, or how you want it to look, but maybe that would give you some ideas....

Old 05-23-2004, 08:50 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Old 09-15-2004, 12:21 AM
DDD
Junior User
cobra I would like to do the cheap version for my 94 flareside I priced the vinyl at walmart for 3.47 a yard and foam. how exactly do you anchor the 2x2's I would love to know what size my primary function is for covering yet I do not want recruit a labor force when I have to remove it. any help would be great. Donavan

Old 10-28-2004, 06:23 PM
patbomccauley
New User
Homemade tonneau

I found an internet site that has tonneau vinyl in a wide width just for trucks so you don't have any seams. It is less than $12 a linear yard.

They also have what they call "awning rail" in both chrome and plastic. This is mounted to the rail and there is rubber tube thingy that you attach to the cover portion. The two pieces pop together to form a seal.

They have fiberglass bows to keep it stretched and other misc. stuff, pretty much everything you need to make a cover.

It is actually a marine supply store. I would pay the few bucks extra for a marine grade exterior vinyl if you go that route. It should last longer.

This is the link:

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_407_A_SubCatID_E_430 _A_ProdID_E_3255

I have not ordered anything from this company yet, but I did email them with a question and they replied promptly.

I am trying to figure out a design using rigid eps foam or polyisocyanurate insulation boards covered with the vinyl- kind of a semi hard top.

If you do use foam it has to be protected from uv with paint, vinyl, etc.a but it won't rot and will keep your bed cooler during the summer

I also want to be able to lock it...even if it isn't incredibly secure.

Let me know if you have any luck.

I will post pix if I do it. I just can't justify spending more than 800 bucks for a folding aluminum cover that will probably leak.

Last edited by patbomccauley; 10-28-2004 at 06:26 PM. Reason: made a mistake with a sentence
Old 10-29-2004, 12:21 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Did a plywood one on a '70 F100. It worked well for a few years but the seam was a pain to deal with.

I had a '77 that I had a toolbox on and got tired of cleaning out leaves, snow, etc.. Made a frame just slightly smaller than truck box opening behind the toolbox out of ripped down 2x4's (seem to be better grained and stronger than 2x2's), put a foam strip around the outside of the wood frame and then stretched a heavy canvas tarp over the frame, keeping it tight with nylon cord laced back and forth underneath through the grommets. I think I used an 8x10 tarp.

Kinda hard to explain in detail but it worked very well and looked a lot better than the plywood. The foam slightly tensioned the canvas against the side of the box and kept out almost all the water. Used small wood blocks to keep it from falling in and a crosspiece tied to the frame to keep it from going up. I'd do that a lot different now but I think you can grasp the general idea.

Looks like Clyde may be outside this winter and was recently thinking about making another one.

Roger

Old 10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Little Bro
Senior User
This thread is producing a lot of very good info and ideas to feed off of, proving yet again that FTE is an unmatched source of collective knowledge and wisdom. My own needs have moved away from the bedcover solution to a simple tarp-and-tie-down approach, using lots of SS eyebolts and 4" SS yacht cleats. On top of (or sometimes in place of) the tarp, I use a piece of heavy 4" mesh ocean-fishing net. Quicker and easier than roping a load, and when used with a tarp absolutely stops tarp flapping. Tiedowns are shown in my gallery.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
patbomccauley
New User
"...the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts..."

Little Bro and this thread have really gotten me thinkin'.

I think he's right. With collective experience, I think we can build a better mousetrap. I am pretty sure we can do it for less.

I have some good ideas for a lightweight, rigid tonneau with vinyl top, I am doing more material research (weather seal, etc.) and I am trying to refine my ideas.

I would love a laundry list of the good, the bad and the ugly from previous tonneau cover owners or makers.

The more the better.

Tell anyone and everyone to email em to me! (I will also compile them into a serveral top ten lists top ten likes/dislikes, wants/don't wants and post if anyone is interested)

Some I can think of are:
What are the best/worst features?

What should be available and isn't

What were the biggest problems?

thoughts on snaps and velcro.

hard vs. soft

locking

rolling/folding/one piece
Any volunteers to look at designs and give feedback before I build?

It looks like I will probably have to buy somewhat large amounts of some materials in order to actually get what I need.

Anybody interested in having me make one for them too and throwing in for the material cost after I finish?

Patrick