1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mystery Holes in the Bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 02:54 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Mystery Holes in the Bed

I am restoring my 1953 F-100. I got the new rear stake pockets welded in today and now I'm on to hammering out all the little bumps and dings that the bed has accumulated over its 51 years of service. At both sides of the bed sides, about 16 inches in from the end panel and on the slanted flat part of the bed sides are little punched holes (maybe a little bigger than 1/8 inch), two on each side. I figure that if a previous owner had wanted holes, say for some tie-downs or something, then those holes would have been drilled. These were definitely neatly punched through, leaving a shoulder on the underneath side of the punch. Are these holes stock? Does anyone else have these same pairs of punched holes?( I hope that I have described the locations accurately). I'm attempting to do a completely stock restoration, so I'd like to know whether or not to weld over these holes and get rid of them, or leave them as they are (even if I don't know why they are there).

Old 08-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Grumpy Gramps
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know for a fact that there on no holes on the flare of a '53-'55 F-100. The original factory products were made at the Budd Co. in Philly for over 45 years. The only "holes" are at the four stake pocket locations. If case you are interested, the holes in the lower part of the rear stake pockets for the tailgate hinges are 2 1/2" & 4 1/2" up from the bottom and 1 1/8" in from the outside face. If these are after market side panels be sure to check and see if the stake pockets are located flush with the bottom of the side panel. The side panels I received were formed slightly off the gauge resulting in the flare and curl being a little off (not very noticible). One stack pocket was flush and the other side was below the side panel approx. 1/8" throwing my hinge holes off. Also, be sure that the distance between the side panels at the tailgate end are not more than 49 1/4". If you are also using after-market cross rails MEASURE between hole centers. I had to grind them oval to install the boards properly. Lots of rat traps with Carpenter & Carolina Classic repro sheet metal. Good Luck.
Grumpy Gramps

Old 08-02-2004, 05:42 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks

Grumpy Gramps...Thanks.