Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fill Up Front Tank Goes To Back Tank Fill Both Gas Comes Out While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
92Pony
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockdawg84
I have a 1990 F-150 with 5.0 and dual tanks. When I would fill both tanks full and then run off the front tank I would get cross flow into the back tank and it would overflow. I went to ford and they said that the recall had ended and they couldn't help me that way but would gladly install new pumps in my truck. Went ahead and changed both pump units and so far haven't had the same problem. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Wow.... How much did that set you back (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you do the install, or have it all done?

I still have the crossflow problem (just been living with it), but recently, my front tank has started having problems with displaying the E/F gauge - it's been sitting on empty, but runs off of the tank. Ocassionally it'll spring to life and display the correct amount of fuel in the tank. If it's not more money than the truck is worth I may need to go that route.

Wade

Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 92Pony
Wow.... How much did that set you back (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you do the install, or have it all done?

I still have the crossflow problem (just been living with it), but recently, my front tank has started having problems with displaying the E/F gauge - it's been sitting on empty, but runs off of the tank. Ocassionally it'll spring to life and display the correct amount of fuel in the tank. If it's not more money than the truck is worth I may need to go that route.

Wade
The E/F gauge-sending unit is an independent item and has nothing to do with the fuel pump. It bolts on the tubes above the Fuel Delivery module.
If your rear tank is filling than one of the check valves is bad inside the Fuel Delivery module of the rear tank.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 AM
92Pony
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
The E/F gauge-sending unit is an independent item and has nothing to do with the fuel pump. It bolts on the tubes above the Fuel Delivery module.
If your rear tank is filling than one of the check valves is bad inside the Fuel Delivery module of the rear tank.
Thanks for the info about the E/F sending unit! Since it just started in the last two weeks, I hadn't researched it yet.
As for the rear tank; I had learned from reading here about the check valve in the rear module - thanks for verifying though I'm just too lazy and broke to take care of it.

Wade

Old 04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
rockdawg84
Senior User
it wasn't cheap about 330 for the pumps and then 5hours in the parking lot but it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 PM
nutmegsmom
New User
OK, can we got back a little??? 1988 F250, I got a bad tank of gas in my front tank and have been using the rear tank for a couple of years. Last week, gas started spontaneously spewing out of front tank. My mechanic blamed old gas, and drained the front tank out. OK for a couple of days, then added gas to rear tank, and guess what? More spewing out the front tank...So he crimped off the front tank, and I managed to make it a couple of miles down the road before the engine cut off like it was running out of gas, re-started, moved a few more feet, "ran out of gas" again...just paid a tow truck...was a bad Dual Tank Fuel Selector the original problem?
Signed - "why would a little lady like you drive a big truck like this?"

Old 05-20-2007, 02:28 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by nutmegsmom
was a bad Dual Tank Fuel Selector the original problem?
Yes, that is main reason for the front to fill on an 88.
Bas gas will not do it.
A less common reason would be a bad rear fuel pump.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:29 PM
nutmegsmom
New User
Fuel Tank Repair

Thanks - now that he "crimped" off my front tank, what's the best repair for the $$ I don't have...I actually have the truck for sale and can't put a whole bunch of money into it. If it was the selector, would crimping have solved the problem. If so, then I can conclude it is the rear fuel pump?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 PM
eaglesftbll7
New User
I have recently had this same problem, and thanks for all the info, becasue i had no clue what it was. The thing that sucks is i only have one tank right now

Old 05-20-2007, 03:52 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by nutmegsmom
Thanks - now that he "crimped" off my front tank, what's the best repair for the $$ I don't have...I actually have the truck for sale and can't put a whole bunch of money into it. If it was the selector, would crimping have solved the problem. If so, then I can conclude it is the rear fuel pump?
Well the way it works is that the boost pump in the tank puts out about 4 Pounds Pressure to snap the selector valve into position (it has a detent on a shaft) for its tank to be connected to the engine.
If it does not get the selector valve switched all of the way or if the selector valve has a bad "O" ring then you will fill the front tank.
If the back boost pump is bad the truck will not run well when the tank is low or going up hills. Do not know how he "crimped" off the front tank but you could plug the two lines coming out of the selector valve going to the front tank. It is low pressure at this point and you might be able to cut them, put a plug in, and then put a hose clamp on them.

Here is a diagram of your system.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by eaglesftbll7
I have recently had this same problem, and thanks for all the info, becasue i had no clue what it was. The thing that sucks is i only have one tank right now
You truck has a different fuel system than nutmegsmom and works differently.
If your front tank is filling then you have a bad valve in your front tank.
Your fuel system.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...FielSystem.jpg

Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM
oldproudvet
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just an aside guys, my 89 250 has the 2 pump system Ford officially began in 90. I had quite a wrestle w/them to install a the check valves a few years ago. I am having the same issues again, Ford will not honor their recall any more, and as a matter of fact the dealership here claims the check valves are NLA and can't help.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM
rockdawg84
Senior User
Unhappy

Originally Posted by oldproudvet
Just an aside guys, my 89 250 has the 2 pump system Ford officially began in 90. I had quite a wrestle w/them to install a the check valves a few years ago. I am having the same issues again, Ford will not honor their recall any more, and as a matter of fact the dealership here claims the check valves are NLA and can't help.
that is true, you are simply stuck replacing the pump unit in the tank I did and the problem stopped. would have been nicer to simply replace the valve and not the whole pump.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know if thier is a recall on this for the 94 f150 302? I can't find the TSB or recall number for this. I did however mange to get my cruise controll harness replaced at the dealer under a recall.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is, I doubt you are still covered by it. I managed to get my '93 fixed in '04 and the recall limit was 12 years/150,000 miles, whichever comes first, and that was an extension from the original recall.

Jason

Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jroehl
If there is, I doubt you are still covered by it. I managed to get my '93 fixed in '04 and the recall limit was 12 years/150,000 miles, whichever comes first, and that was an extension from the original recall.

Jason
I have less then 150k on the truck however when I had my cruise recall I asked if thier was any open TSB for my truck and they stated that thier wasn't anything open for it.

Quick Reply: Fill Up Front Tank Goes To Back Tank Fill Both Gas Comes Out While Driving