Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevy Trailblazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Trailblazer

What do you think of the Chevy Trailblazer?

My grandad just bought a new 2004 Trailblazer 2wd, 4200 Vortec I6, LS package.
$20,000

I have always been a big ford guy, but this thing is nice. This thing could EASILY outrun our 5.4 Expy. The seats are very comfortable, it has a great stereo system, and I like the look and basic layout of it.

So what do you think of it?

Old 07-23-2004, 11:10 PM
plasticboob
Junior User
It's nice, for a minivan, although I'd be quite scared to have an axle running through my oil pan if I had the 4x4 version, and I'm not excited about the coil-on-plug either. Hopefully it was done better than Ford's 5.4 COP system. The interior of the Trailblazer/Envoy is good looking, in my opinion...very classy! In Envoy form, I'd have to give it an overall thumbs up, although I haven't driven one. Oh, but thumbs down to the longer, seven passenger version, that just looks bad, even for a minivan!

Old 07-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Frost13
Posting Guru
It's called an SUV, not a minivan.
I hate minivans with a vengeance, but like SUV's.
You ought to drive one. Try to drive a new one with the 4200 I6.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:13 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trailblazer is small as heck inside. As a 6 footer, the Trailblazer is just too small. Not only does it not offer the legroom, but you sit really close to the next passenger. It's more of the class of the Explorer than the Expedition.

By the way, the Mercury Mountainer, though it has less horsepower, beats it 0-60, 1/4 mile, and slalom. The problem is that Chevy put the power of the engine too high up in the powerband for it to be put to good use.

Old 07-24-2004, 02:44 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Agree with 73Fastbackv10. While the motor supposedly peaks in torque at 2800, it sure doesn't feel like it has anything below 3000 RPM. Grandma ha one. It's nice for the most part, but it has the typical parts bin chevy interior, and unless youi're flat out racing, will never experience the top 50 of its 275 HP that peaks at I believe 6000 RPM. It's an absolute dog when you get a few passengers in it. It rides good, sits comfortable enough, but just doesn't feel right for me. It feels bigger than it is. I would take the Explorer over the Trailblazer any day. Not to mention that to get a third row, you have to opt for the extended length one that is almost as long as a suburban and needs the 5.3 V-8, which only gives it average acceleration numbers.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:09 AM
ItsReallyDarren
Senior User
Ive been in both of them, to me they each have thier own feeling to them. For the Explorer you get more of a stout / rugged feel, while the Trailblazer has more of open / van like interior. Both are nice, the one thing that bugs me about the trailblazer is though its roomy there are a few intrusions that make your leg uncomfortable. like the front passenger seat, its really roomy for everything exept your left leg.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:10 PM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Don't forget to mention all of the trouble Chevy has had with the Trailblazer! I wouldn't own one...too many recalls!

Old 07-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AG4.0
and unless youi're flat out racing, will never experience the top 50 of its 275 HP that peaks at I believe 6000 RPM. I would take the Explorer over the Trailblazer any day. Not to mention that to get a third row, you have to opt for the extended length one that is almost as long as a suburban and needs the 5.3 V-8, which only gives it average acceleration numbers.
My grandma looked at a Explorer but didn't like it because she said the interior looked very cheap. Don't ask me I, wasn't with them.

Another thing you have to understand about the Trailblazer is that when you really get on it it will jump from 1500 RPM to 6000 RPM in a split second. And believe me, my gradma really gets on whatever she is driving. I believe this thing would outrun our 5.4 Expy. (parents)

Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
It should outrun an expy. The chevy is a much smaller vehicle.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:17 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Wife has an '03 Trailblazer with the 4.2L I6 and 3.42 gears and it is real sluggish at lower speeds. But-when you get up to about 50mph it will flat out SCREAM when you stomp it! It really surprised me the first time I drove it. If you don't believe me go test drive one. Like Frost said-it's mind-boggling how fast it revs to high rpm. Also shifts firmly which I like. The interior does have a cheap feel in typical GM fashion. Other than that I like it alot. Gets 18mpg mixed driving, 21 highway and no problems at 21,000K.

Also gets excellent traction in snow/ice conditions. If it makes somebody feel good to call it a "minivan" then have at it! It's really a midsized 4x4 SUV with a 2-range transfer case and I guarantee you'd be hard pressed to find another engine in it's class that is smoother and quieter.

I've towed an open utility trailer with it several time that weighs about 2500lbs loaded and it pulls it fine. Feels like it makes the engine work only slightly harder, I just keep it out of OD on the highway to keep the transmission from hunting and it pulls most interstate hills at 65mph in 3rd. The only thing I'd change if we were buying it again is a different gear set-maybe the 3.73s. The 4.2L is also available with 4.10s.

Last edited by MountainHound; 07-25-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:59 AM
dougdogs
New User
I have about 10 months left on a lease of a 2002 LT Trailblazer. Those comfortable seats wear out too quickly. The side bolsters on mine look like ***** now. If you want a quite, comfortable ride check out the Raneir instead.

I have only had 2 minor recalls (key removal, and wiper module problem) But I have had many issues with drivetrain vibrations. Tranny took a serious dump (lost 1st and reverse) a few months ago.

Trailblazer is no longer my tow vehicle. (no longer reliable)

F-150 FX4 to the rescue!!

Old 07-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Argo
Posting Guru
I'm only interested in the inline six. I'd like to stuff one in an early shoebox Nova. The rest of the vehicle I could care less about.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Smaug
Posting Guru
My wife and I bought one about 2 years ago. We have only had one problem w/ it and that was the battery. Dealership replaced it and did some recall work at the same time. Recall was something about the ignition/antitheft system. As mentioned in several other posts, once it gets up in speed and rpms, it will flat out go. Shocked me big time. It has a real smooth ride and the interior could use some better materials/accents to make it look a lot better. Overall, it is a great vehicle and my wife is VERY happy I talked her out of getting a Durango.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 PM
cpufed
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 2003 V8 (Vortec 5300) Extended LT Trailblazer and love it (wife's car). The extended model has the third seat and plenty of room and power. Haven't had a problem with it so far, and is great on the highway. Just my $.02!!

Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Lets get some "Comparison" talk in here guys. This isn't a Chevy site.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Chevy Trailblazer