2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing and waxing ect...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 09:58 AM
eoue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
washing and waxing ect...

I have seen quite a few threads on detailing (must be summertime!), and I have seen people using dawn to wash there vehicles. Are they talking about the dish soap? What are the best products to use in your collective opinions?
Also, the clay where I live has stained my carpet red. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it out?
Thanks a bunch-
E in Ky

Old 07-20-2004, 11:09 AM
les017
Senior User
using Dawn is only recommended if you want to strip off ALL of your natural waxes. I would not recommend this as a normal routine. Zaino specifies doing this before applying their products the first time. After that use their wash soap.

as for the clay - man I dunno

Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
YellowSTX
Freshman User
I prefer Zymol products. The auto wash and wax are great. I looked a few years ago at some independent reports on auto waxes, and zymol was ranked very high(3rd to a prestone wax and some other I have never heard of). It was above Mother's and Meguiar's. That was a few years ago and I know Meguiar's and Mother's have some newer products out. Mother's and Meguiar's were at the 5th thru 7th area. The old Turtle Paste wax was about second to last.

Jason

Old 07-20-2004, 12:13 PM
asinatra
Senior User
Dawn is full of alkalines (sp?) and easily strips wax and other debris.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:26 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
FYI...You would use Dawn for sure before you use a clay bar, that is if you were planning on using one

Old 07-20-2004, 07:21 PM
WEB
Senior User
For the carpet I swear bysomething called TUFF STUFF multupurpose foam cleaner in a red and yellow can and you can get it any where.

I have used this stuff on my caroets in the house and cars for ten years and have never seen it NOT got anythuing out even grease and oil.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 PM
eoue
New User
Thanks for the info, I will definitely try some of those products. Particularly the Tuff Stuff (thanks WEB).
E in ky
Oh by the way, F150TEXAN - Gooooooo Stros!
(Couldn't help myself, Houston transplant)

Old 07-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Hokie4tec
Freshman User
Anybody try Protect All? It's a spray-on carnauba wax. I get great results on both the truck and the Jet-Ski. Dries to a clear haze that's barely detectable. On a properly cleaned vehicle, it is truly wipe-on and wipe-off. Lasts several months.

Here's the website: http://www.protectall.com/pawaxlg.htm

Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YellowSTX
I prefer Zymol products. The auto wash and wax are great. I looked a few years ago at some independent reports on auto waxes, and zymol was ranked very high(3rd to a prestone wax and some other I have never heard of). It was above Mother's and Meguiar's. That was a few years ago and I know Meguiar's and Mother's have some newer products out. Mother's and Meguiar's were at the 5th thru 7th area. The old Turtle Paste wax was about second to last.

Jason

zymol is great, dont get the costco or walmart stuff though. the real stuff works really good. you should see my 12 year old bmw thats been treated with zymol. its not too expensive either. its a lot less greasy than mothers and meguires. those feel too thin to me plus the zymol shine is better. only con is it might not last too long in places that has weather. im in san diego so it rarely rains etc.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Toreador
Elder User
I'm lazy. We have a new gas station called "Gas City" here. It has a "touchless" automatic wash. Great deal for only $4 is the basic wash and it does a great job. Eventually I'll get around to a hand wash and wax, but for now this suffices.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:04 PM
texasfordlover
New User
Am I washing too much?

I have a new 2005 F150SCREW and I have not completely wax the entire truck. I have been washing it weekly to remove the bugs and dirt from the headlights and front including the bumper. I have been following the owner's manual as far a waxing. Is this too many washes and should I wax the bumpers or just use chrome polish? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP Tony in San Antonio

Last edited by texasfordlover; 06-06-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
I wash all of 'em with Simple Green. They get glazed 3X a year and sit outside 24/7.

Just sent 7 to the east coast - all 7 + years old with lotsa miles but bodies/interiors in great shape.

Russ

Old 06-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Wash/Wax

Any dish soap like Dwan is too harsh for vehicles that are waxed. Dish soap is extra strong to satisfy the housewife with her greasy dishes. If your truck is a utility that sits out and dirties daily during use, then harsh soap can be OK.

For those who wax their truck right away and keep it waxed, and have garage or shady storage, wash it in cold water. I initally chrome-polished my wheels, then applied a couple layers of wax. I use Mothers soap once in awhile when the rains offer up oily roads onto my wheels.

I used to use a commercial body shop liquid wax as it was easy on, easy off. However, I tried Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax once, then when I washed my application sponge I noted how difficult it was to get the wax out of the sponge. Thus, difficult to get out of the sponge means difficult to wrench or evaporate off the vehicle.

Sumnation:
Wax: Your favorite paste.

Wash: Cold water unless use requires soap.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wash with car soap. It's unlikely you really have enough wax to need to use Dawn etc. to remove it.
Use the two bucket method, washing with one microfiber towel in the bucket with soap andwater, the other bucket is full of clean water you rinse the towel in. That way you are not returning dirt to the paint as you wash.

Get it very very clean, and dry with microfiber towels, best ones are cheap at Costco.

Then use a clay bar. Get the clay bar at Autozone, 9.99 for ClayMagic brand. Follow the directions. It's very easy.
Put something under the truck so when you drop the clay, which you will have broken into three parts, you don't drop it on dirt or concrete. If it hits either, toss it. Sorry.

After claying your paint will feel smooth as glass.
Then wax it with NXT wax. About 15 bucks most places.
After buffing it off with the microfiber towel, admire it, but wait another day and put another coat on.
After you buff it completely, you will not believe how it looks.
I did a third coat on my truck. Silver is a bear to bring up, but it looks much much better than it did new.
Chris

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 06-06-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:07 AM
double2d
Freshman User
Zymol Car Wash has worked well for me. It has enough cleaning agent in it to take bugs and tar off with a little elbow grease. I have never used a clay bar but yall got me interested. Yeah I think I will try it. It is time for a wax job. What do yall think about using a Black & Decker palm buffer to take out light scratches? What would you use for that job? Thanks for the tips guys!

Last edited by double2d; 06-07-2005 at 05:16 AM. Reason: wrong question