Modular V10 (6.8l)  

SCT X3 from 5Star just installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 PM
vardashan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT X3 from 5Star just installed

5 min. ago I got back from my first test drive with Mike's SCT X3 installed. I ran it down to the local Fina and filled up on 91 then programmed the ECU with the 91 performance/tow tune. I ran the truck back down the road out to the house (about 5 miles) and to where it dead ends into a dirt road. Even taking it easy to make sure the 91 had worked its way into the injectors, I could already tell a dang big difference...and I was excited. I turned it around and nailed it. Whoa...let right off cause the tires spun like crazy. Damn Superduty's aren't supposed to do that...are they?

I say this keeping in mind that my truck is a 7500lb beast of a vehicle: This truck is really frickin' fast now. I think I have what you guys call "that 5 STAR GRIN!!!" It isn't all that different from the BSEG that I used to get when I would run my old '70 Roadrunner with a 493 stroker down that same road leaving two 50ft black stripes from the 15" wide MT's.

It is going to take a while to figure out how each tune performs - I need to talk to Mike tomorrow about a couple of things just so my understanding on them is accurate. My truck is an '08 3/4t CC SB w/4.10's. My first impression of 0-60 with the 91 perf/tow tune is simply this: I just do NOT want to go any faster than what that tune produces while sitting in a 7500lb pickup. It is dramatically faster than 87 stock. I did not not honestly think it would make as much difference as it does but man alive - this truck - which was not "underpowered" before - feels like it just chugged a gallon of coffee.

My plan is to run 87 economy and when a camping trip starts to get close, start to run 91 oct. a week or so before so that when I fill up before the trip - the fuel should be solidly 91oct. If we are going somewhere that 91 isn't available (91 is the best you can get around here) then I will use the 87 perf/tow on those trips. I hope to get a bit of a mpg boost - I am hoping for .5mpg or so and I would be happy. I didn't buy this thing expecting to get an ROI due to increased mpg so whatever I get - that is fine with me. Mike told me 1-2mpg. If get that, it will have exceeded my expectations. As it is, my truck does not get "bad" mpg for a V10. I get about 14-15mpg hwy unloaded at 71mph and I get about 12.0-12.5mpg in town.

The first "real" power test will be just over a week from today. We will hook up our camper and head out for 3.5 day trip down South. I am considering giving the 91 perf/tow a shot on the way down and running the 87 perf/tow on the way home, just to be able to compare the two. Our camper isn't big - just a 25' 7,000lb TT. A big reason we got the tuner though is that we plan to upgrade to a 35' 5'er at some point.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions and really want to gather more solid driving and towing experience with it before I feel like I can make a good decision on the product. So I will just say this for now...Thanks MIKE!!!!

-CC

Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi vardashan
thanks for the feedback, sorry i missed your call... Give me a shout anytime today..

Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So Vard, was it worth the wait???

Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Another satisfied customer

Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
vardashan