Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual fuel tankS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:35 AM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual fuel tankS

I have a 1987 f 150 with a bad fuel gauge. My front fuel tank leaks, i want to stop using the front tank once its empty. I ran the front tank until the truck stalled. I filled up the rear fuel tank and went 60 miles and it stalled, i had to add gas to the rear tank to start the truck. I have had two gallons of gas leak out of the front tank so far and the tank sounds full when i tap on it. DID ALL MY FUEL FROM THE BACK TANK GET pumped to the front even with the fuel switch set to the rear tank????? So i must have a bad fuel valve in the rear tank, or is the on the dash fuel switch bad.
Thanks

Old 07-19-2004, 10:03 AM
KwikFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is common on dual tank with selector valve.
Ford had a recall on this selector valve many years ago.

The selector valve is located on driver side frame rail. They are black round shape with 4 fuel lines at the rear and 2 fuel lines on the front.

remove 2 10mm bolts and 6 lines. That's all to it but prepare for a messy fuel leaks.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was the recall on the electrical selector switch (dash switch) or the fuel reservoir (mechanical selector) on frame rail?

Old 07-19-2004, 11:17 AM
KwikFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Was the recall on the electrical selector switch (dash switch) or the fuel reservoir (mechanical selector) on frame rail?
selector switch on dash has nothing to do with it. it is fuel selector on frame rail.

Like I said.."it is old recall" Last time I service it was way back in the mid 80's to late 80's.
Ford stop producing the frame rail selector valve in 1990's

Old 07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the replies! I entered my vin number into the Ford.com web site and it said no recalls for my truck, where else can i check? Also, you mentioned i should check the the fuel selector valve which is located on driver side frame rail. Ford stopped making this selector valve in the 90"s does that mean i may have to replace it with a used one? Ford said they could add a fuel cross over valve to fix my problem of fuel going to my front tank,what do you think?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 AM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
I just found out my truck won't run on my front tank, its full, it still leaks, i think the fuel pump is bad. I hear a winding sound from the front tank. Truck runs fine on rear tank until it pumps all the fuel to the front. Under FTE search for fuel selector valve i found the same year truck with my same problem it was pumping fuel to the front tank because the front fuel pump was bad. How can i bypass my front tank?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Are there fault codes for a bad fuel pump, and a bad fuel selector valve?

Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM
KwikFord
Senior User
I'm getting old. LOL I wish I could remember. I know Ford have issues with selector valve...that's pure facts.

other thing I should be clear about selector valve. The parts are available but it is not install on trucks after 1990. Ford re-design entire fuel system after 1990.

The selector valve is mechanical. No wires or sensors and cannot send any fault codes.

By reading your description, you do have selector valve problem. It is selector valve 100%

Replace the selector valve then trouble shoot the front fuel pump. In some case after replacing the selector valve the fuel pump works perfectly thats because the valve closes off the front fuel tank outlet port.

Like I said...replace the selector valve and go from there. parts cost around 75 to 90 dollars.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:16 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks KWIKFORD,
Can a bad selector valve cause the front tank not to work? I don't want to put any money into my front fuel tank, because my front tank leaks. Can i bypass the front tank some how? Add two check valve? How about removing the selector valve? Connect the two fuel lines in front of the selector valve to the two correct lines to the rear fuel tank? Can I connect the two fuel lines right at the front tank together, maybe not if the selector valve is bad. Has anyone done this before??

Old 07-20-2004, 12:35 PM
KwikFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by mike L
Thanks KWIKFORD,
Can a bad selector valve cause the front tank not to work?
yes, I've seen that to happen.

I don't want to put any money into my front fuel tank, because my front tank leaks. Can i bypass the front tank some how? Add two check valve? How about removing the selector valve? Connect the two fuel lines in front of the selector valve to the two correct lines to the rear fuel tank? Can I connect the two fuel lines right at the front tank together, maybe not if the selector valve is bad. Has anyone done this before??

you got couple choice.

(1) replace selector valve.
(2) connect 2 fuel lines from rear tank to 2 fuel lines after the selector valve. [ the one that goes to the engine.]
(3) Plugged the ports on selector valve that feeds the front tank.

Make sure you use good quality fuel hoses and clamps.
Just remember these by-pass and repairs are ok for low pressure in tank fuel pump. If you're doing later model high pressure in tank fuel pump then it is highly not recommend!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
bypass fuel selector valve

Kwikford,

You said, "Just remember these by-pass and repairs are ok for low pressure in tank fuel pump. If you're doing later model high pressure in tank fuel pump then it is highly not recommend!" So my 1987 f150 has low pressure in tank fuel pump?

Old 07-20-2004, 01:46 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
If i remove the fuel selector valve,and take it apart and clean it out, will this work?

Old 07-20-2004, 02:19 PM
KwikFord
Senior User
Kwikford,

You said, "Just remember these by-pass and repairs are ok for low pressure in tank fuel pump. If you're doing later model high pressure in tank fuel pump then it is highly not recommend!" So my 1987 f150 has low pressure in tank fuel pump?
yes, you have 3 fuel pumps don't you???
low pressure pump on each tank and one high pressure pump mounted on the frame after the selector valve.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:21 PM
KwikFord
Senior User
If i remove the fuel selector valve,and take it apart and clean it out, will this work?

Nope...you're outta Luck. you can unbolted it from the frame and unscrew the bottom cup and replace the filter, but that's all you can do!

Old 07-20-2004, 02:37 PM
KwikFord
Senior User
I did a couple search high and low.

here's what I found.

scroll down and you can see the selector valve clearly.

http://bjoern.brembs.net/cars/FordPU.html

TSB / recall 91s39 <<< I'm guessing on this since I can't access to alldata at this moment.

Last edited by KwikFord; 07-20-2004 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Dual fuel tankS