Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Camping/Wheeling August 7th/8th

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:54 AM
mattadams
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping/Wheeling August 7th/8th

I'm not sure if its allowed that I post about this here, hopefully Ken won't mind... but theres another Ford Truck Club in town that is going camping August 7th/8th at Saxon Mountain, which is the trail our club has "adopted" with the US Forest Service. For those that aren't familiar with that trail, it connects Georgetown and Idaho Springs, south of I-70, and is listed as moderate, or one of the more difficult easy trails. It can be done in a stock truck with 4-wheel drive, or 2-wheel drive with a lift (the main issue is hitting your bottom on the many rocks that stick out). We are meeting at the Safeway in Idaho Springs at 10am August 7th and heading up there. We're also having a pot luck that night so if you plan on going, plan on bringing something .
If you are interested, check out www.rmftc.com and go to forums, and the events and happenings forum. Again, this isn't an advertisement fo rthe other site so hopefully it won't get removed, just trying to get other people that want to go in on it.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Hmmm, a drive to Saxon mountain....sad thing is i would have to drive further to meet at the Safeway than i would if i just headed up the mountain...which side is the climb starting at..my side ( the Georgetown side) or the Idaho Springs side? Hopefully ill have my new motor in my truck by then, what better way to break it in than on saxon mountain?
---JOHN

Old 07-15-2004, 10:39 PM
mattadams
Senior User
We are starting on Idaho Springs but as you know, you can get there from either side. i've done the trail about 20-30 times. We are camping at the highland hills area. basically if you are coming from Georgetown, you go past the switchbacks, at the intersection where you can go to the peak or to the left, go left, then next intersection go right and follow that to the marshy little area, thats where we'll be at.