cheap and easy mods for 302? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

cheap and easy mods for 302?

Old 07-23-2004, 09:50 AM
ssn randy
Senior User
ssn randy is starting off with a positive reputation.
no changes required, just bolt em on. yes it'll sound goooooood!!! shorties are a direct replacement for stock exhaust manifolds and bolt right to the stock y-pipe. you may have to wiggle them around a little but they will fit. your injectors are fine.
your buddy is probably using long tubes not short. it has a tendancy to make the A/F ratios off due to the increased velocity they produce in the exhaust.
Randy

Old 07-23-2004, 01:56 PM
iamaguy1357
Junior User
iamaguy1357 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the time, and you want a few extra horsepower, pull off the upper and lower intake manifolds, and seperate the 2, and using a gasket mark around the areas you want to port, and then using an air gun drill, or w/e, grind off and smoothen the areas until the gasket and the upper intake have almost no more areas that you can see sticking out. Now you can do this with your lower intake too. Another thing your can do is buy a 60 or 70 dollar aluminum spacer that fits right after your throttle body, and spins the air. That is an amazing product made by Airaid, and it works very good. It probaly stock will give you an extra 10 hp. Another thing you can do is go on ebay and purchase a small perormance chip for your truck whch will make it get a few extra hp by making your computer think the air is colder then it really is. Now i have done this to my truck and all these things work.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:28 PM
scottya4
Senior User
scottya4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the help guys! anyone else has any simple and cool ideas let me know!

Old 07-25-2004, 01:40 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
HeyScotty how many miles on the truck?. Running good so far?. The only thing I have done to my truckis the KN filter and I think it made a noticable improvment in power and added a mile per gallon. Make sure you do this first. Good Luck

Old 07-25-2004, 02:47 PM
scottya4
Senior User
190k kilometers..... runs pretty good, shifts late in first gear and the speedo acts a little weird until i hit about 40kms per hour, I was reading someone else's post on this site that said it was a sensor or something....the only real problem i'm having with it..... yeah i am going to pick up an K&N for sure.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
heyjoe818
New User
heyjoe818 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up hey looking for some performance like the rest of us!

hey i have a 95 f150 302, I have k&n intake, headman headers, two magniflow highflow cats and two 40 series flowmaster mufflers, a superchip, and my gears are swapped out to 4.56 due to the 35" tires, 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift, rear lockers, I went trough about $1000 dollars in different exhaust setups to find one i finally love. First was simplecut off stock exhaust after the cat and put new pipe and a 40 series flow master. Well it was a little louder and got a bit more top end but all in all was un happy i wanted that low end grumble. So next was a single in dual out 40 series flowmaster with a pipe comming out the back of each tire. Well even worse sounded alot quieter still un happy. Then thank God for a cracked exhaust manifold (now i had to buy headers great excuse anyway) got headers then i bit the bullet and had all new piping fron the headers back with two new highflow magniflow cats and new 40 series mufflers, I now had true dual exhaust. Not the cheapest thing in the world but let me tell you save some money do it right the first time this sounds mean!!!! I got a superchip, by far the best $300 dollars ever spent got a very very noticible difference in hp and tq also i have an automatic so it changes all the shift points and boosts the line pressure to the tranny so you get harder much much faster shifts eleminating the need for a shift kit. I took the chip out the other day to see if i could tell a difference well it felt like i was towing a boat it was a huge difference if your going to do one thing do that no joke its amazing. The intake sounds great but never noticed a difference over the stock air box with a k&n stock replacement filter in it. the gears obvioulsy made a huge difference turning those big meats. with all the mods i still get 15mpg on the freeway i asctually think it went up from stock... anyway hope i helped!!!!

Old 07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
scottya4
Senior User
I Think i may have to save up then for the true duals, the more I do think about it the more I want true's..... I was just waiting for someone to say that they had wasted money getting the 1 into 2 dual setup

Old 07-26-2004, 11:44 AM
ssn randy
Senior User
HEYJOE818, Questions, if you don't mind.
1-What was the cost of the "true" duals?
2-Did you get any increase in hp or torq over the first two set-ups (si/so or si/do)?
3-Was the reasoning of the changes for sound or performance?
4-Why did you choose the magnaflow cats with the flowmasters.

510 views and knowbody else has a bad thing to say about si/do exhaust?

Last edited by ssn randy; 07-26-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:53 PM
heyjoe818
New User
Thumbs up

hey guys i own an autodetaling business so i have established good relationships with various shops. one of the shops just happens to be a very good exhaust shop. I am very good friends with the manager and i told him what i wanted so he did it for all new parts and all new piping i got it for $400 which is dirt cheap. I noticed a pretty big difference all through out the powerband as well as i gained some lowend torque. Im not sure the reason for the magniflow cats and flowmaster setup thats just what he recomended and said that was the best. So I said ok!!!

thanks, guys

Old 07-26-2004, 02:33 PM
ssn randy
Senior User
There you go Scotty, you decide.
Some "CHEAP" mods and some "NOT SO CHEAP" mods for your truck.

heyjoe, show some pictures of that beast!!

Good luck on the truck Scottya4.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:08 PM
heyjoe818
New User
here is big foot lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 03:09 PM
heyjoe818
New User
Old 07-26-2004, 04:23 PM
scottya4
Senior User
THANKS TO ALL, this was an absolutely great post!!!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Bad1993
Junior User
Bad1993 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by heyjoe818 View Post
hey i have a 95 f150 302, I have k&n intake, headman headers, two magniflow highflow cats and two 40 series flowmaster mufflers, a superchip, and my gears are swapped out to 4.56 due to the 35" tires, 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift, rear lockers, I went trough about $1000 dollars in different exhaust setups to find one i finally love. First was simplecut off stock exhaust after the cat and put new pipe and a 40 series flow master. Well it was a little louder and got a bit more top end but all in all was un happy i wanted that low end grumble. So next was a single in dual out 40 series flowmaster with a pipe comming out the back of each tire. Well even worse sounded alot quieter still un happy. Then thank God for a cracked exhaust manifold (now i had to buy headers great excuse anyway) got headers then i bit the bullet and had all new piping fron the headers back with two new highflow magniflow cats and new 40 series mufflers, I now had true dual exhaust. Not the cheapest thing in the world but let me tell you save some money do it right the first time this sounds mean!!!! I got a superchip, by far the best $300 dollars ever spent got a very very noticible difference in hp and tq also i have an automatic so it changes all the shift points and boosts the line pressure to the tranny so you get harder much much faster shifts eleminating the need for a shift kit. I took the chip out the other day to see if i could tell a difference well it felt like i was towing a boat it was a huge difference if your going to do one thing do that no joke its amazing. The intake sounds great but never noticed a difference over the stock air box with a k&n stock replacement filter in it. the gears obvioulsy made a huge difference turning those big meats. with all the mods i still get 15mpg on the freeway i asctually think it went up from stock... anyway hope i helped!!!!
​​​​​give me the exact name and product number for that chip I desperately want one for my 93 bronco it has a shift kit already though will that cause a issue?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Glenn54
Senior User
Glenn54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It appears this thread of over 12 years old. But, hopefully someone will have the chip's product number.

Originally Posted by Bad1993 View Post
​​​​​give me the exact name and product number for that chip I desperately want one for my 93 bronco it has a shift kit already though will that cause a issue?