Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Location of the trailer brake control connector under dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:07 PM
pbates
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 Mountaineer (same as explorer for this discussion). I got the factory towing package, and in the glove box was the factory harness to connect the brake controller to the dash.

One problem; I can't find the socket to plug in the brake controller harness under the dash. I went over the print from Yazaki that came with the harness, and what I need is not there.

I called a dealer who checked a Mountaineer on his lot. He pulled dash panels off and ended up at the same place: couldn't find it. I posted to an RV forum this evening, and the consensus was that on most Ford trucks its in the middle, on top of the transmission hump. I went back and gave mine a proctology exam in those areas of the dash and still came up empty. There is a socket right where the print says it is, however its very different from the socket that the harness has.

I'm hoping this is a "dooooh!" and its right there somewhere?

Has anyone hooked this up before?

Regards,
Paul

Old 03-20-2002, 04:53 PM
pbates
New User

For those that care: The problem is that the wrong dash wiring harness is shipped from the factory. The one shipped is for the 2001 and the 2002 is different. This was confirmed at a dealer in Detroit and a dealer in Washington state. FYI

Paul

Old 04-20-2002, 08:22 PM
strongj1
New User

I have run into the same problem. The dealer service department had no clue as to the solution. Now I have to wait until Monday so they can call Ford to find out what to do. In the meantime I'm stuck and not able to install my brake controller over the weekend.

Old 04-21-2002, 05:33 PM
pbates
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-Apr-02 AT 06:35 PM (EST)]I must retract my earlier statement.....

There is a TSB open on this problem and the right connector does come with the car.... I had received information from a dealer electrician that it was the wrong harness and he was ordering the correct one. In fact its the right connector, but the print shows the wrong location for it.

As several of you suggested, it is behind the glove box. To get to it, open the glove box, and pull in on the two plastic stops on either side. Let the glovebox drop open into the passenger compartment. The connector is tie wrapped to another harness, towards the left.

I should have waited until I got everything work (which it now does). I got multiple conflicting advise.

Old 04-21-2002, 10:44 PM
strongj1
New User

Paul,
You are truly a life-saver! After getting your message I went out and looked in my 2002 Explorer and the receptacle for the brake controller pigtail harness was right where you said... hidden behind the glove-box. I was able to finish hooking up my brake controller today and didn't have to wait until Monday for the dealer to call Ford and find out the solution. Based upon the dumb-founded looks I received at the dealer service department, the sales person who claimed it's not included, to the several parts departments I called over the weekend, I can only guess that it will be several more days before they call me back with the solution - if they call at all.
For the short time I've had my new 2002 Explorer Limited, I'd give it all A's except in this area - they receive an F for failure to properly inform the dealers as well as the customer and for failing to put the connection in the place where it belongs, on the drivers side!

Jerry

Old 04-22-2002, 08:45 PM
pbates
New User

Jerry-

Glad it worked out. I agree with your grading scale. I am really happy with the mountaineer, especially drivability.

The only "zen" I can muster for this whole experience in Ford's defense is that most controller installs are done by the RV dealer who sells the trailer. The dealer never gets asked, so he doesn't know how. In my case, guess how many mountaineers with a class 3 factory hitch actually end up pulling anything? 1? Both dealers I askde to help on this paused for many seconds when asked when was the last (only!) time that they had done this.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Old 05-04-2002, 08:54 PM
crossman
New User

Old 06-05-2002, 01:41 PM
RaftWW
Junior User

Does this apply just to the newer models, or would this also be found on my 98 Explorer LTD?

Pleasee be gentle, this is my first post...

Old 06-05-2002, 01:51 PM
RaftWW
Junior User

Jerry,

Where did you end up place the controller? Did you later regret or have other thoughts on where you inially placed it?

Thanks,

Old 06-05-2002, 03:58 PM
strongj1
New User

I ended up stretching the wires behind and across the center and mounted the controller to the right of the steering column. Not sure if this affects any other model year but do know it's a fact in all the 2002 Explorers and to this day neither Ford nor the local service department has returned my calls with a solution.