6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Head to head with a tough D-max

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head to head with a tough D-max

Went to a local fast food joint in town and when I left the drive through there was a white duramax ext.cab sitting there, I notice the driver pointing at me, then he signaled that he wanted to run,em so I gave him a , we headed out to the usual spot where locals race, when we got there he asked what turbo I had and I told him it was stock then he asked about the exhaust, so I told him it was the Hog 4" turbo back, then he asked if I had any chips or programers, I said "it's all stock" (but actually had the superchips Hi performance mode programed in) I never asked about his truck, it was obviouse that it had aftermarket exhaust and plenty of fuel, (smoked like a train), plus no lift and same as stock sized tires. well we lined up and he counted down and we took off, I had him right off the line even though I layed down 20-30 ft of super swamper tread, and at the 1/8 mile his front bumper was even with my front tire, but after that my big jacked up sail started catching wind and he started pulling me, by the time we got to the end of the quarter he had me by a truck to a truck and a half, after it was all done he followed me to the gas station and proceeded to tell me what he had in his truck, at first I was a little bummed cause I had just lost my first good race with my new truck (goodies and all), after he told me he had an airaid intake 4" exhaust and an edge with juice on setting 4 stacked on top of 100 HP superchips (don't know if it was a programmer or chip) well any way I didn't feel to bad anymore,

Sorry about the novel but I thought you guys would like the story, when I get my new intake setup I think I'll slap on a set of 35" tires and lock it up in 4x and see how I do,

Besides water/methanol injecition or propane, what could I add for a few more ponies, I'm sure when he sees me coming with a et of 35"s on my truck he'll just turn his edge up to setting 5, and a little more HP could hurt my cause,

Last edited by Skipped_link; 07-14-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:37 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey now dont feel bad. With that Duramaxes mods and such. That engine probably will melt a piston or two and lock up. Youll be still running however. I looked at the truck in your signature. Awesome truck man. Hey if he wants some real competition play tug of war with him. Youll pull his *** all over the place. Now thats a true test of a truck. Hey now dont do that you have to nice a truck. Its kind of silly really and hard on things. Hey Ive never seen a PSD diesel ever lose in that kind of contest. Something tells me if both of your mods were equal youd eat his lunch. Sounds like he was kind of worried the way he quizzed you. Not too many duramaxes will go up against a powerstroke around here they no better. BTW you wouldnt catch me in a duramax periond. Fords got the only real truck. Check back with him in 50,000 miles his truck will be history and your will still be running it looks like another ford stopped the heatbeat.

Last edited by 150ford; 07-14-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Senior User
Hey Skipped_link,

What gear ratio do you have...if your running stock 3.73 or 4.10's with those size tires your giving up a lot right there. Stick in some 4.56's or 4.88's and race him again....bye bye chebbie!

Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipped_link
Went to a local fast food joint in town and when I left the drive through there was a white duramax ext.cab sitting there, I notice the driver pointing at me, then he signaled that he wanted to run,em so I gave him a , we headed out to the usual spot where locals race, when we got there he asked what turbo I had and I told him it was stock then he asked about the exhaust, so I told him it was the Hog 4" turbo back, then he asked if I had any chips or programers, I said "it's all stock" (but actually had the superchips Hi performance mode programed in) I never asked about his truck, it was obviouse that it had aftermarket exhaust and plenty of fuel, (smoked like a train), plus no lift and same as stock sized tires. well we lined up and he counted down and we took off, I had him right off the line even though I layed down 20-30 ft of super swamper tread, and at the 1/8 mile his front bumper was even with my front tire, but after that my big jacked up sail started catching wind and he started pulling me, by the time we got to the end of the quarter he had me by a truck to a truck and a half, after it was all done he followed me to the gas station and proceeded to tell me what he had in his truck, at first I was a little bummed cause I had just lost my first good race with my new truck (goodies and all), after he told me he had an airaid intake 4" exhaust and an edge with juice on setting 4 stacked on top of 100 HP superchips (don't know if it was a programmer or chip) well any way I didn't feel to bad anymore,

Sorry about the novel but I thought you guys would like the story, when I get my new intake setup I think I'll slap on a set of 35" tires and lock it up in 4x and see how I do,

Besides water/methanol injecition or propane, what could I add for a few more ponies, I'm sure when he sees me coming with a et of 35"s on my truck he'll just turn his edge up to setting 5, and a little more HP could hurt my cause,
Obviously, you are wanting to go high up on the performance end of things with this truck. If you are really wanting to milk more power out of this creature, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO THE HEADS before you start spraying anything HEAVY. A little water or propane is fine, but when you start double-stacking or really laying the propane and methanol through it, you WILL pop a head gasket, or worse.

There are all sorts of modifications that need to be made when you start talking serious horsepower. Some are insurance, and some are to keep your truck in one piece. The cylinder pressures generated by high amounts of propane, methanol, or excessive fuel and boost will not be contained by stock head gaskets. My engine blew a head gasket and melted 5 pistons with only a Superchips unit and an methanol injection kit, with a 60/40 mix. If you want the details of it, search through the water/methanol thread or email me.
Once you get into two mods at one time, the transmission starts becoming an issue also. Both TS Peformance and DPS have been tearing all sorts of parts out of the transmissions with there 160+ Hp boxes (Which is why I question Quadzilla, since they told me theirs would be fine) I never had any problems with my 150 (100 horse) Superchips and the methanol injection. However, propane seems to put more power to the ground, and that could immediately raise a tranny issue on just the two.

There are all sorts of way to reenforce the parts, from head studs and c rings, to ceramic coated pistons, to upgraded transmissions, and so-on.

If your gonna make lots of mods, you should be prepared to fork out the money to strengthen anything you modify. If you dont, you better be prepared to fork out the money to make your truck run again. Trust me on this one; its not worth doing it wrong

Old 07-14-2004, 11:11 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Stock height tires...you got him...IMO

Old 07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with Ford vs GM has been an 800 mile tow with the same 7,400 lb load, route and driver (me). 6.0 vs Dmax. The conclusion: The Ford had noticeably more power and smoother ride (according to my wife). In other terms, the 6.0 out-pulled the Dmax hands down. To lend credibility to my position please refer to Motor Trend's Truck Trend magazine Sept/Oct 2003 article titled Ford vs GM. Unloaded test on page 56 "Put another way, the Ford outran the GMC in every acceleration event." The loaded test with 7,000 lb trailer on page 57 yielded the results of 0-60 mph with the Ford winning by nearly 7 seconds! This is an objective magazine testing the two trucks under controlled settings with indisputable results.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:01 PM
RBGF150
Junior User
There is an article on page 26-29 in the 17th issue of trucks magazine that features a 97 cummins diesel pumping 736 hp and 1833 ft/lbs, lifted 4 1/2 inches. Engine bored .020 and outfitted with flycut ceramic-coated marine pistons for a 16.5 compression. Head and camshaft also modified, twin turbos pushing 70psi. 700 cc injectors and 5 inch straight pipe muffler set up. Tranny has been modified also.Not a lot of pictures of the whole set-up but it looks great.

Just for the record I'm thinking of converting to dodge or chevy, but it amazes me what can be done to a DIESEL!!!!!!

robert

Old 07-14-2004, 08:03 PM
RBGF150
Junior User
Just for the record I'm thinking of converting to dodge or chevy.

My bad, this should have read, 'Just for the record I'am NOT thinking of converting to chevy or dodge.

I'm sorry for the type o.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Wow I just read through my story again, I shouldn't type at 5:00 in the morning after being up all night,

569104, I currently have 4.56 gears in the truck, so it's reletivley close to stock in that department,

PSD 60L FX4, I've been keeping a close eye on the water/injection thread, I just don't think thats my cup of tea, I was trying to think of more mods for my truck but really it just works to good to mess with it right now, besides I've already got one truck that's border line to modded to drive (bad fuel milage) and one in the works that WILL be to much for the street, (gassers though)

I figure I'll run him again one day with a bit smaller tires and 4 wheel drive and see how it turns out, if I win, Great, if not oh well, I think I've already got him looking over his shoulder,

also today I picked up my truck from the shop (getting the side windows tinted to match the factory privacy glass) and that shop happend to be the same place that modded the D-max, even the guy that did the work to the chevy is doubting how long the engine is going to last, I guess only time will tell,

Thanks for the compliments and taking time read my story,

Old 07-14-2004, 09:25 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Hey skipped link a GM tech on one of these threads said once you start modding those duramaxes your in for trouble. Hes personally seen melted pistons and locked up engines. Now I dont want that happen to you. Be careful in what you do. Is main goal with his truck was to take somebody like you on. Why do they even bother. Just for personal pleasure I guess. Your superduty is ten times the truck that GM is. I noticed he instigated the run you didnt. Hey now dont get too foolish on what you do. You got too nice of a truck to screw it up. Now I know you would like to blow him off the road. Its human nature to try to be the fastest. But think of your truck before you think about personal pleasure. You have a nice truck. Use common sense. Talk to him about how both of you have nice trucks and that its silly to put the trucks through something could cause expensive mechanical repairs. Hey if you respect his hell respect yours.

Last edited by 150ford; 07-14-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:16 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Skip_link ----
launch your truck in 4x4
start with left foot on brake (hard!)
start feeding fuel until the tach gets in the 1800 to 2000 range (or more if your tires don't break loose) then when he says 1-2-3 go... let off at 3 and fllor it... the drivetrain lag will allow you not to "red light" and you WILL beat him !

Old 07-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Skip_link ----
launch your truck in 4x4
start with left foot on brake (hard!)
start feeding fuel until the tach gets in the 1800 to 2000 range (or more if your tires don't break loose) then when he says 1-2-3 go... let off at 3 and fllor it... the drivetrain lag will allow you not to "red light" and you WILL beat him !
Thats what I did last time, only without the front tires pulling, I'll let you guys know how it goes if me and the D-max guy meet up agian,

Speaking of red light, the last weekend of this month we have a local event called fifties feaver (kind of like reno's hot august nights) basically a get togeather of old cars and trucks, any way on friday night & saturday they have the "good times street drags", they shut down a street and have leagal drag races, only 360 ft (1/16 mile) but hey any leagal racing is fun,
usaully I run my 49' but since it's been under major reconstruction the last couple of years I've been racing my bike, maybe I'll have to put down a couple of passes with the 6.0 and see what it does,

maybe the D-max will be there, he better turn the edge up to #5,

Old 07-14-2004, 10:35 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Wow I just read through my story again, I shouldn't type at 5:00 in the morning after being up all night,

569104, I currently have 4.56 gears in the truck, so it's reletivley close to stock in that department,

PSD 60L FX4, I've been keeping a close eye on the water/injection thread, I just don't think thats my cup of tea, I was trying to think of more mods for my truck but really it just works to good to mess with it right now, besides I've already got one truck that's border line to modded to drive (bad fuel milage) and one in the works that WILL be to much for the street, (gassers though)
what do u think is bad about the water? just outta curiosity? mine works awesome, drops egt's, gained a good bit of power up hills and i havent put enough miles on with it top be sure, but i think my towing mpg went up a bit and mine is stock w/ no tuner!!!! i cant imagine puttin a tuner on it w/out my water injection. and when i go to the track, ill mix it 40/60 for even more cooling effect on the egt's and another solid 50hp!!!

its the miracle drug for the diesel just dont go past 50/50 like PSD.....

Old 07-14-2004, 10:36 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Just both of you be safe!!!
we like to keep at least one of you around

Old 07-14-2004, 10:40 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Thats what I did last time, only without the front tires pulling, I'll let you guys know how it goes if me and the D-max guy meet up agian,

Speaking of red light, the last weekend of this month we have a local event called fifties feaver (kind of like reno's hot august nights) basically a get togeather of old cars and trucks, any way on friday night & saturday they have the "good times street drags", they shut down a street and have leagal drag races, only 360 ft (1/16 mile) but hey any leagal racing is fun,
usaully I run my 49' but since it's been under major reconstruction the last couple of years I've been racing my bike, maybe I'll have to put down a couple of passes with the 6.0 and see what it does,

maybe the D-max will be there, he better turn the edge up to #5,
If you boosted itas far as you need to in 2 wheel drive u would have lit up the tires and lost lots of traction...

that's what Choctaw Bob has a problem with - he generates more power than mine, but his pickup will just light him up all the way down the track....

Spinning hurts the going part :-)

Quick Reply: Head to head with a tough D-max