1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Back from 1500 mile trip on unheated SVO (long)

Old 07-14-2004, 12:09 AM
fordnut74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from 1500 mile trip on unheated SVO (long)

Or mostly Unheated SVO. Good News- I made it the 1500 miles on only $20 worth of fuel. Bad News- spent 50 bucks in filters, and a few stops to blow them out as they build up with wax. I started off with (trying to coin a new term here) MVO2/50 meaning mixed vegetable oil, with #2 at a 50/50 ratio. Drove 300 miles, stopped for the night, then filled up with SVO, straight into the tank, no heat. Drove another 350 miles trouble free. filled up again with SVO, 50 miles after that came filter replacement #1. Drove trouble free another 150 miles before noticing some power loss, which is usually the first sign the filter is plugging up. stopped and added 5 gallons #2 to a little more than a 1/2 tank of fuel. Truck picked right back up, and drove around another 200 miles trouble free, then filled up with SVO. 50 miles later stopped to blow out filter. drove another 100 miles or so, and stopped to visit mom. while I was there I blew out the filter again. drove another 150 miles and was almost to my destination when the truck started losing power, suddenly. thought at first it was the fuel filter, but it was not bad at all. I was at a little less than a 1/4 tank, and the night was cool, ~40. I realized that it was not getting fuel from the tank. I could here the pump coming on, and iut was blowing bubbles in the fuel bowl, but no fuel. I remembered in the owners manual that the tank has a pickup bypass for when it gets real cold. so i added more svo, and sure enough back in buisness. drove the remaining 1 mile to my inlaws. stayed there a few days, then left with a 1/2 tank of SVO. The morning I left the truck was running poorly, missing and stuff I stopped replaced filter #2, and added another 5 gallons #2, within 5 miles it was running at full strength, if not better and drove another 200 miles trouble free, added another 10 gallons of SVO, drove another 100 miles home without incident and filled up an empty tank with #2 to let the truck have a break.
I am sure several of you must think I am a bloomin idiot to do this to my truck, Maybe I am. But i want to know for myself, and everyone else what we can and can't do with SVO wiothout having to spend 2,000 in parts, mods, and switching from #2 to SVO and Back. I have learned that with even as little as 15% #2, I had no problems. Cranks a little longer in the morning, but that is it. Runs great, and does not plug the fuel Filter. Found out the fuel bypass works. . So far the bottom line is that it is a safe bet that you can spend less than $15 on a tank of fuel, instead of 60, with no mods to the truck. I am now going to start working on some simple methods of heating and work my way towards 100% SVO, all the time, if possible. when things get rough, # 2 smooths it back out.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
It's pioneering people that discover what works and what doesn't work. Keep up the work. You're a braver man than I with your truck, wallet and time.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:11 PM
fordnut74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the Support. The way I see it, If I ruin the injectors, I will by a set of Swamps. for quick math, I have been using veggie oil for around 4000 miles now, and have spent about 70 bucks in diesesl in that same time.

4000/15mpg avg = 267 gallons of fuel used
267x $2.10 gl=$560
560-$70 in fuel=490
$490-$50 in filters=$440

This has taken place over the course of a month, and I am $440 ahead already.

Search this Thread