12 Volt Starter

Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Elemenopy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 12 Volt Starter

Howdy again!

Any one know where I can get a 12 volt starter for a Flathead 239? Or if I can just use the 6 volt one?

Elemenopy
Eric Wood

Old 07-07-2004, 05:41 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Any good auto electrical shop should be able to re-wire your 6V for 12, but it'll be spendy. I'm running 12V to a 6V starter on my daily driver going on 3 years now and works just fine. It gets started 6 or 8 times a day normally.

Just don't crank it for long periods and give it time to cool off if you don't start immediately. Flatheads should pop right off in a couple of revolutions. If not, fix what's wrong with the gas/electrical/etc.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Elemenopy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well then, it looks like I'll be just fine! I'm glad there are people like you around saving me money. I probably would have taken it into a shop or bought an expencive starter cause I'm a sucker. But it does takes a little while to start. Its the reason why I'm converting it over to 12 volt. My battery would die after 30 second of cranking! But there is alot of corroded wires. So it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I just did the fuel system all over. Cleaned out gas tank, replaced old fuel lines, took out some electonic fuel pump some one put on, put a new mechanical fuel pump in, and rebuilt carb. I took it around the block a couple times, but it was pretty loud cause of a couple exhaust leaks. There was that bolt broken off, and a cute (huge) hole in my exhaust pipe!

Thanks for your help and for your time with this! I'm pretty sure it won't be the last!

Elemenopy
Eric Wood

Old 07-09-2004, 03:03 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chack and clean ALL grounds. Batt to block - Block to Frame - Frame/block to Body. These Old Flatmotors like clean grounds.

Search this Thread