Notices

Best Tonneau for my Ranger 97

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Deadzone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Best Tonneau for my Ranger 97

I'm new here so forgive me if there is anything wrong with this post.

I just threw away my Pace Edwards Roll top because the thing was falling apart. Gunk kept building up in the side rails and the vinyl peeled off. Now I am in the market for a new tonneau cover and would like some suggestions.

I live in Los Angeles, so weather would not be a big issue for me I don't think. I also don't use the full truck bed all that often. In terms of durability, I want a cover that will last me at least six years which is as long as I plan to drive this truck for.

I looked at Access and Truxedo which look like good covers but are on the pricey side. The Extang Premium is more in my price range, but I was wondering if anybody had problems with this cover. Also, is there a big difference between the Extang Premium and the Extang Saber?

Carmicdirect.com has a hinged tonneau selling for $214.00 which is a great price, but the brand is Berlin. You get what you pay for, but sometimes you don't need all the things you are paying for. Anybody know what the drawbacks are to a Berlin as opposed to a Saddleman or a Lund etc.

I don't like buy things with out knowledge, and I think this is the best place to go for it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:05 PM
rc581
Senior User
i just bought a new one from our local ford garage. its a lund, no drill,with the pistons for raising it. it fits good , looks good and three trips thru the car wash with no leaks. it was on sale for i believe,173.00 tx and freight. so far i am very happy with this cover.i dont have the model #in front of me, but will look for it in the garage if your interested, or check with your local ford garage. good luck.....bob

Old 07-12-2004, 02:36 AM
Deadzone
New User
Thanks for the info. Do you still have the phone number of the place you bought the cover from? On the internet, I couldn't find a Lund cover for under $300.00 with the hinge attachments. $173.00 is definitely in my price range.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 PM
rc581
Senior User
i never did have a phone #. i had the ford garage order it for me.but the name is lund genesis. i do believe there is a #in the paperwork, and i will check tomorrow a.m. and if it is in the paper work i will post it to you tomorrow. bear with me, i will get it to you [ its out in the garage, and im in my underwear lol ] so will see what i can do, if no #listed i will call the garage and see if they will give it to me.......bob

Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 AM
rc581
Senior User
deadzone. first, let me apologize profusley. i was wrong on my price. i finally found the invoice, and the total was 269.14. thats tax and freight total. sorry for the screw up. but its still a nice cover for the price.go to www.lundlook.com, part #98014, hinged tonneau cover.only phone #i can find is customer service 1-800-328-5863. i understand they wont sell direct to you but, will direct you to a dealer. as i said, i went thru my local ford dealer, and when i bought, it was on sale. again, sorry i gave you bum info on the price the first time. but its still the best price going i think. good luck.....bob

Old 07-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Deadzone
New User
Lund

Hey, that's okay. Thanks for all of your help. I'll have to think about the $269.00 price tag. The thing is, the truck is kind of old so I don't want to shell out too much money to get a cover, but I don't want a piece of garbage either. Decisions, decisions....

Old 07-13-2004, 08:33 PM
rc581
Senior User
i hear ya, and whatever you decide.. good luck.....bob

Old 07-17-2004, 12:27 PM
shfd739
Freshman User
Talking Had good luck with extang

I had an extang (i think saber) on an 88 ranger and then on a 99 ranger,same model just had to shorten the crossbows a touch to make it fit.I loved it never had any problems with it.When I took it off last august to trade my truck it was because after 10 yrs of use and having two plastic strips sewn in it finally gave out,also my now wife put a lit cigarette on it and burned some holes.it still looked good after 10 yrs of southern sun hitting it.